Castle Cove 16/9/07

GK510

Woke up yesterday morning and saw what a perfect day it was outside so I decided to make it even better by going and throwing a line in.

I went down to Castle Cove just near the entance to Sugarloaf Bay. It was a nice change as it it's not one of my usual haunts. It was fairly quiet with not much action happening but I wasn't too concerned as it was just so nice taking in the serenity on such a great day.

Luckily for me, things changed, and the serenity that I was enjoying was soon forgotton. At first I though I had a snag and then ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! :thumbup: Something started taking line at a great rate. Slowly started to reel it in before it decided that it wants to take off again. As it managed to reel it in close it started to dart from side to side. I was worried I was going to lose it as I could see lots of rocks and oysters just below the surface and my line must have been just skimming past the top of them. Then I see a silver flash in the shallows just below me. It was a bit of a drop to the water from where I was fishing so I hoisted it up with great pesimism as I was sure it would get off before I landed it. To my utter joy, there it was sitting on the ground beside me. I nice 40cm Trevally. :yahoo: I tell you what, these thing fight pretty well on light gear.

I managed to pull in another Trevally that was 38cm and also a Flounder that was 30cm. I also pulled in the usual pesky small Leatherjackets, a small bream and also what looked like a tiny Snapper.

After looking at some of the fish other Raiders have caught, my catch may not seem like much. I have only been fishing semi-seriously for about six months and I was getting so used to coming home without catching anything. I think my luck has changed, or maybe I am finally doing something right!

Anyway, pardon the pun, but I think I am now officially hooked :074:

Cheers, Graham. :beersmile:

Thanks ff.

I do plan to stick with it. I have gained more motivation over the last couple of weeks as I have managed to catch a few species that I hadn't caught before.

These being the Trevors, flounder and a nice 38cm EP that I caught down at Narrabeen.

All my fishing is land based at the moment but I am looking at getting a boat in the not too distant future. Nothing too flash but just enough to get me out and about. Hopefully this will open up some more oportunities for me to catch decent fish more regularly. Although, I suppose you can go through a bit of drought now and then when it comes to catching fish, even if you do have a boat!

Cheers, Graham.

Well done on the fish mate, ive been fishing for years and come home empty handed many a time. Doesnt matter though its just great being out there.

Once you get your first boat you'll never look back. When i got my first boat it was a s@#$ heap and i ended up rowing back the first 3 times. Slowly upgrading my boats from time to time gaining confidence and experience. Im on my 4th boat now!!

cheers

kiwi Dan

Edited by Kiwi Dan

Well done GK..

Always nice to catch a few especially from the land. There is something nice about land based fishing. It seems that you are the underdog as most big fish seem to be picked up by anglers in boats!!

I agree with you on the Trevs.. they go hard!!! :thumbup:

The area you are fishing has some fantastic opportunities - with the right bait or lure you will pick up Kings (some monsters too), Flatties, Jewies, bumper Bream and even the odd John Dory amongst other things. :biggrin2:

Were you bait fishing or using lures?

Thanks all. I have some photos that I took with my phone that I will have to try and upload.

Ceph,

I was using bait for all of the catches. Just frozen servo prawns. I did try flicking a couple of lures around but with no success. I think I may need a little more practice at the fine art of lure fishing :P

I only have light gear at this stage with 6lb line so I don't imagine I will be pulling in too many monster Kings or Jewies. That is unless they want to play nice!

I think I will have to look at getting some more substantial gear so I can target some Kings or Jewies.

Uh oh..... there goes the bank balance again :05:

Cheers, Graham

Edited by GK510