Dumbest Fish...

michaelrdoyle@gmail.com

Hey All

Would love to hear stories about your dumbest fish...I'll start it off:

Fishing the channel between Bruny Island and Tasmania mainland in a small dinghy. My fishing partner pulled up a port jackson shark. Got it into the boat - and realised the hook was not in his mouth. And it still had bait on it. What the?

The shark had grabbed onto the snapper sinker, and held onto it all the way to the boat, only to let go after it was in the boat.

Mike

Great story Mike. That's going to be hard to beat!

I once hooked a small bronze whaler off North Cronulla a few summers ago. It was a bit of a struggle on 6lb line, but after about 10 minutes I eventually got him near the boat. Just as I was about to tail him, the line rubbed agaist the side of the boat, and snap! ... he was gone.

Less than two minutes later, Zzzzzz! off goes my second rod. Another good fight on light gear and the same small whaler ends up in my boat. My first hook was still in his mouth.

He had to be the dumbest shark in the area to allow me to catch him twice!

Anyway, it was good to see him finally swim away after giving me two lots of fun!

Cheers

Peter

How about dumbest fisherman?

A couple of years ago I was with my brother fishing at Shady Camp in the NT. It was a real stinker of a morning, more sweat pi--ing out of me than I could put in! We we're working some small bait which were being boofed by the barra. As I was on holidays I was borrowing my brothers gear, a nice little baitcast rod, calcutta reel, you beaut gel spun, a 6" nilsmaster, the works.

Well you guessed it, one cast too many and rod, reel, the whole shebang ends up duck diving with the crocs. No way I was going in after it.

After a few choice words or wisdom, my brother grabs a hand line with a heavy sinker and trebble and starts to cast after it. Ten, fifteen casts later, nothing. I'm about to have a go to save me breaking out the credit card, when he yells, 'Got something.' He starts to bring it in, next thing I see is my leader, the red/brown/black nilsy, the rod and finally that expensive calcutta reel. You bloody beauty! But then I see another couple a feet of mono which wasn't mine, hanging off the reel. He keeps pulling, and bugger me there's another 6" red/brown/black nilsy at the end!! No bloody second rod and reel though.

So in a matter of minutes I'd gone from loosing $500 bucks of my brothers most loved fishing gear to being the proud owner of a new $15 nilsy lure! Even caught a few barra after that. Needless to say I was hanging on a little tighter for the rest of the day......

Dave

Heres a god one,

so heres me and dad a few years back fishing luna park for blackies both using two hook rigs, any how dads float goes down about 5 seconds later mines off, so dad lays into his fish only for me to lay into a fish as well, after 2 or 3 mins we see two fish surface i net both. What we then realised was that one of the fish had 3 hooks two of dads and one of mine plus a fish on my second hook! They were quite thick on the bite but i thought thats one stupid and unlucky fish he had no chance of getting away! :1prop: