Caught 3, Put Back 2, Gave Away 1

arpie

Hi guys

Went out for 2hrs at Spot X in Tuncurry - was a bit late, so missed the last of the out tide, :( but i don't mind fishing a bit of the in! Had a couple of hits & pulled in one about 30cm, so put him back. Then had the bite of the day! Initially thought it was a snag, as I was in a bit closer than normal ... so jerked again to free the hook & it jerked back! Then it just dived & didn't stop diving, till he got under a ledge!! My rod was bent almost in half & I was trying hard to turn it's head. COuldn't do it - got beneath the ledge & pulled the hook. It was a really good fish!!! Keeping in mind that it was Nov when I caught my 45cm blackie last year in the same spot (and had numerous bust offs with big fish earlier ...) This could be the spot to target on a regular basis!

Beside the Kiosk on Tuncurry side is a good spot to fish after the run-in has started - it takes quite a while for the tide to turn that far up & you can get some nice slow drifts & nice eddies. Watch out for bait fishos tho - they are the bane of blackie fishos!

Had one more down, then moved on to the 'old fellas spot' (which I showed Peter the other day!) I had never really caught 'good' fish there before, but had heard of 3lbers being caught by the 'old fellas'! No rocks to climb, nice jetty to sit on, nice eddy - what more could you want?

Got a good down & connected to a nice fish of about 35cm - had enough at home in the freezer, so put him back. Continued fishing & had another one on, but he got off - then hooked another nice one, which I gave to a bloke fishing with bait just up from me, who had not caught anything!

All up, a glorious morning to be out, communing with nature. A bit of a northerly wind, but not so annoying as those Westerlies!

Tight lines

ROberta

Hi guys

Went out for 2hrs at Spot X in Tuncurry - was a bit late, so missed the last of the out tide, :( but i don't mind fishing a bit of the in! Had a couple of hits & pulled in one about 30cm, so put him back. Then had the bite of the day! Initially thought it was a snag, as I was in a bit closer than normal ... so jerked again to free the hook & it jerked back! Then it just dived & didn't stop diving, till he got under a ledge!! My rod was bent almost in half & I was trying hard to turn it's head. COuldn't do it - got beneath the ledge & pulled the hook. It was a really good fish!!! Keeping in mind that it was Nov when I caught my 45cm blackie last year in the same spot (and had numerous bust offs with big fish earlier ...) This could be the spot to target on a regular basis!

Beside the Kiosk on Tuncurry side is a good spot to fish after the run-in has started - it takes quite a while for the tide to turn that far up & you can get some nice slow drifts & nice eddies. Watch out for bait fishos tho - they are the bane of blackie fishos!

Had one more down, then moved on to the 'old fellas spot' (which I showed Peter the other day!) I had never really caught 'good' fish there before, but had heard of 3lbers being caught by the 'old fellas'! No rocks to climb, nice jetty to sit on, nice eddy - what more could you want?

Got a good down & connected to a nice fish of about 35cm - had enough at home in the freezer, so put him back. Continued fishing & had another one on, but he got off - then hooked another nice one, which I gave to a bloke fishing with bait just up from me, who had not caught anything!

All up, a glorious morning to be out, communing with nature. A bit of a northerly wind, but not so annoying as those Westerlies!

Tight lines

ROberta

Wow Roberta sounds like you had a great day out, really exciting when there is big fish around. I can read the passion you hold for the art of the blackies. May there be many more days like it and maybe you can land the bite of the day! :1prop:

Greg

Hi Ceph

Only ever seen tiny surgeons up here around the jetties of the marina & never hooked one yet.

Usually we get drummer further down the breakwall, towards the sea end, rather than further up the lake, so am pretty sure it was a big blackie. This is where I landed my 45cm one last year & had another bigger one to the net before it busted me off on the oysters. There are so many snags they can break off on & when you snorkle the area, you see some monsters, hiding in amongst the man-made rock walls (got lots of nice hiding spots in them) waiting for tit bits to float by. They just dart out, grab it & head back to cover.

That is why it is so challenging up here - you could sit in a boat or yak & fish the edges of the weedbeds for a pretty easy feed (if they are on the chew), but I prefer targetting the areas where the biggies hide! :1prop: End result - lots of lost traces, but the occassional good sized fish! :( I even lost a float last week, too! Headed out to sea towards NZ, I reckon!

Come up & try it sometime! They are here all year round!

Roberta

Hi Nudge

Luderick-angler or the others more expert in it than me should probably answer this one ...... I, too, see them all over the weed beds up here, especially when in my yak, as they scatter as I paddle up to them. You only notice them when they move! If you can see them, they can see you & you usually have to fish very light gear in those situations with very long traces. When fishing faster water, the fish take a chance & grab whatever is going past!

I have fished the weed beds here for a few fish, but have fished the oyster racks & rock walls/groins for a hell of a lot more!! Much more interesting fishing too.

The bigger fish are in those spots due to the structure usually providing them food & protection. WHen you look at Wallis Lake (up here) every blackfish that enters or leaves the system has to go past either the Tuncurry Wall or the Forster Wall! I reckon I have a better chance catching better fish on the 2km of breakwalls rather than guessing where they will be within the millions of litres of water out there in the lake! Mind you, in the lake, if you wanted quality fish (& a few bustoffs), you just head to any of the oyster leases where the current is running parallel to the exterior fences & set your float to go along there! There are lots of them to try!

Cheers

Roberta

PS I think a lot of people think that blackfishing is pretty bland ...... don't you believe it!! WHen they are on the chew, or you get a big one on, it is the most exciting form of fishing you can do!!