How Do You Store Your Rods?

kenmare

Hi Fishraiders,

Picked up my new tinny and motor from the dealer Thursday: Quintrex 385 Explorer and 15 hp Mercury 4 stroke with electric start.

Now the hard part begins -- how best to fit all the gear in. Shouldn't be too difficult, as the new boat's more than a foot longer and must be almost twice as wide as my old Savage car-topper.

But what's the best way to store rods when underway? I used to just just lay them fore and aft across the thwarts of my car topper.

The new Quintrex doesn't have a middle seat (one of the reasons I selected it), but there's a considerable distance between the front seat/casting platform and the rear tiller seat, and I'd prefer some way of securing the rods so they don't get tossed around, stood on and damaged when underway.

Any ideas? What's the best way to keep rods out of harms way in a boat when underway?

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hi Fishraiders,

Picked up my new tinny and motor from the dealer Thursday: Quintrex 385 Explorer and 15 hp Mercury 4 stroke with electric start.

Now the hard part begins -- how best to fit all the gear in. Shouldn't be too difficult, as the new boat's more than a foot longer and must be almost twice as wide as my old Savage car-topper.

But what's the best way to store rods when underway? I used to just just lay them fore and aft across the thwarts of my car topper.

The new Quintrex doesn't have a middle seat (one of the reasons I selected it), but there's a considerable distance between the front seat/casting platform and the rear tiller seat, and I'd prefer some way of securing the rods so they don't get tossed around, stood on and damaged when underway.

Any ideas? what's the best way to keep rods out of harms way in a boat when underway?

Regards,

Bob

berkley horazontal rod holders

I recently saw a strap arrangement that was held by a suction cup.

They would simply stick to a flat section of the boat and a velcro strap could slip around your rods. Two of these (front and back of the rod) would be sufficient.

Cant remember where i saw them though, it was either one of those big hardware stores or Whitworths.

Dave

Hi Bob

I like the idea of Bassermans use of the Berkley rod holders!! You could have them on the seat or even rig them sideways on the side panel, so the rods are really out of the way! Cut them in half & have a pair on each side?? I want to do something similar to my portaboat.

I have seen this setup made out of pine! Only the tip end has a slit in it. The handle end is just a big hole. It allows you to 'top & tail' your rods without the reels getting in the way. If you were in a caravan/campervan, you could even suspend it from the ceiling (or on a boat seat!)

post-2231-1190438919_thumb.jpg

I have seen one setup where a bit of down pipe has been mounted on a seat or side panel & then the velcro strap secured further along. The handles would fit in the down pipe & the velcro strap keeps it all together. It worked very well.

Look forward to seeing pics of the new setup!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

I've got pretty much the same problem as I just lay them along the floor. I was thinking about attaching a rocket launcher type holder the the outside of one of the side pockets. However, this would mean that I would still have to lay any unused rods down and I am pretty sure that someone will eventually gash their shins on it. Has anyone else tried this?

I had a 4.2mt tinny , same problem so made a small rocket launcher from timber. It held 4 rods.

When I got my new boat transfered the idea & increased the size to 6 as there was more space available.

Mounting them on the side of the boat is OK when traveling either on the trailer or on the water but I find access both to remove & replace with a vertical holder is a lot easier & faster during the day when at your fishing spot.

Other than a bit of time this cost next to nothing to make

Geoff

post-731-1190498295_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff

Hi Fishraiders,

Thanks for the ideas.

Prefer horizontal to vertical storage, as it keeps the rods completely out of the way.

I really like your mate's set-up Heath.

Very secure, due to the three bracket attachment, the final one fully enclosing the rods. And foam sheeting glued to the hull prevents reel contact and damage.

Clever.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

He has a bit of foam up the front as well to protect the tips.

The system works very well, should see the hardware he carries in there now.

Worth more than his boat..LOL

Hi Heath,

Thanks for all the tips.

I've pretty well worked out a system for my boat. It'll be an adaptation of your mate's system: my boat's a little shorter and has less free-board, but I should be able accommodate two rods on either side -- unlikely to need more than four rods anyway.

I'm very interested in where your mate sourced the hardware, particularly the stern end enclosed rod bracket, which appears to be made of foam material.

Perhaps you might ask him and then let me know by PM?

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare