New Fuel Tank

fishyfingers

My brother manages the largest manufacturer of air-con ducting in Australia. I was talking to him the other day about needing a larger fuel tank and he quite frankly said "what do you want? I'l get the boys to knock one up for ya"

KNOCK AWAY I SAY! :thumbup:

So anyways, I've measured up and it's gonna be a 60lt tank (as apposed to the 23lt plastic one I've got now). a couple of things I'd like to ask you guys about:

- stainless, glavanised or aluminium and the pros and cons of each?

- will it weigh the back of the boat down enough to create excessive drag or make the boat unstale or plane too high? I know the extra fuel will weigh a bit but I don't honestly think it'll be full all that often.

- other than the wreckers, does anyone know where I can get a stem, collar and cap from?

cheers!

Martin

Im not sure if there is any Australian Standards or ADR type rules that you need to follow for fuel tanks. You might want to do a bit of a surf and see if you can find any rules that are applicable, even for small recreational boats. They might include pressure testing, baffles, breathing points etc. Not all welders will (or can) make a fuel tank I found ...... especially with my past experience with survey and commercial applications.

Definatly do not go galvinised !

You might be better off looking for a second hand stainless CruiseTank 40-60lites for a reasonable price ready to go. (+ you could offset the cost slightly by selling your existing plastic tank for a few bucks)

cheers

Rod

We looked at doing a boat tank ages ago so start with the Austrlian standards. To engineer one properly was a big learing curve and a hassle as we still wanted boat meet survey at a later date.

We found out that most of the ones in the shops are 25l or less and are classed as portable tanks. Larger cruise tanks are also somehow classed portable ( because the label says not for fixed installation) even though they hold more than 25l. This is so they can avoid a part of the Australian standard regarding vents and expansion space etc etc.

Most builders have little idea regarding baffels and expansion space and most would never pass survey so copying one isn't a great idea and loads of manufacturers have had trouble with locating vents and fillers outside the coaming to comply strictly so in smaller boats they stay with tote tanks. They let you fill up safely with fresh fuel and quality ones are great as you know as they rarely get condensation in them and if fuel is stored in them with vents closed it doesn't lose it's volatile components and go stale as fast.

If you go down the fixed tank route gat a water seperating filter unit as well due to condensation.

http://www.nmsc.gov.au/documents/fuel%20tank.pdf

As for 60l in your boat grab a few bags of sand of total weight and see how it reacts and don't forget the 60l will be liquid and moving rolling side to side.

Pel

Edited by pelican

I thought asking this question would make it an easier decision....

talk about opening Pandora's box .... or in this case .... Pandora's Tank!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll do some more research!

GDAY,

MATE I'D GO AN ALLOY TANK. PUT IT THIS WAY, THERE IS ALOT OF MANUFACTURERS OUT THERE USING PLASTIC TANKS AND THEY ARE NOT THAT BAD, THE AVERAGE FUEL CADDY THAT HOUSES MOST TINNIES ARE ALSO PLASTIC, THERE ARE NO BAFFELS IN THE SMALLER ONES AND THEY ARE MOSTLY USED ABOVE DECK,60LTRS OF FUEL ISNT THAT MUCH WEIGHT TO CONSIDER, REALLY ITS ABOUT THE WEIGHT OF A BIG KINGGIE OR TWO, :074: