Squid

mark84

just got back from fairlight beach and behind ocean world went for some squid for the first time used yo zuri and yamashita jigs in pink orange colour sizes 2.0 and 2.5 didnt get anything gave it a couple of hrs around high tide casting over the kelp beds slow retrieving with twitches and retrieves like i would with sps am i doing something wrong or was i unlucky or at the wrong place any advise would be appreciated and does any one scent there jigs??

You were in a good spot.. the squid just weren't there at that time..

In my opinion, if there is a squid in the vicinity of your jig and you are fishing it correctly, you will probably get a hit irrespective of colour and within reason, size/ I don't think the squid no the difference between a 1.8 and a 2.5. For the record, I caught a little jelly bean on a 3.5 jig a couple of weeks ago. The squid wasn't much bigger than than the jig!! :biggrin2:

I tend to use the smaller jigs in the shallower water. Try some Egimax. :thumbup:

Try days around the new moon, with high tide at dawn or dusk. Fish around this time and you should pick up squid.

If you fish these times and don't get one within a few casts, try moving around to other spots, because if they are there and hungry, they normally hit your jigs as soon as they touch the water.

The mix of a rocky outcrop and kelp bed sounds like prime squid real estate, you just need to crack that first one and you'll be on your way.

But note - if you can, don't spend 4 hrs in the one spot once a fortnight plugging away at it. Spend 30 mins each time and go more often (and try different spots), and you will get much better results.

Try get some scent before you go out mate.

Anything that smells fishy works, whether it be Egimax, Stimulate/Ultrabite or the cheapo Prawn scent you get from+_+_) they all work the same for me.

But what they all have in common is that when the Squid aren't biting well it improves my catch 100% at least.

IFS

I havn't tried it mate, though it sounds like it'd work just as good.

I'm pretty sure its just bulls**t from the companies who make the expensive scents but they say they slow release.

Go with the Tuna Oil and if it works you aren't out $15 - $20.

btw rinse your jigs well, I mean really thoroughly before putting them in your tackle box otherwise :puke:

IFS

Hi Mark

I agree with the other posters that the spot you were fishing is a good spot for squid, and that you should be able to catch them there on a regular basis.

I'll add a couple of other tips that have helped me with squid:

1. Wind - squid hate wind. The windier it is the less luck you will have with squid - even if they're there they're usually shut down - so pick times where there isn't much wind or pick areas that are protected.

2. Light - squid like low light conditions. Check out the bloody size of their eyes - they thrive in conditions where other fish can't see that well, such as night-time, dawn and dusk (although I find I lose too many jigs fishing from a rocky shoreline at night).

3. Aggression: I couldn't agree with the other posters here more. Squid are probably the most aggressive animal in the water (with the possible exception of cuttlefish) - if there's a squid nearby you'll almost certainly hook it within a couple of casts. If you've flicked out more than five casts without catching one it's time to either change jigs (just in case they're only targeting a specific colour) or move spots. Don't waste your time in one spot if it's not producing - move around.

So, in general, chasing squid in the middle of the day at only one spot is likely to be less productive than other approaches.

These days I will only go landbased for squid if there is little swell, a high tide on dusk and no wind. On those days I wander down to my local spot at about 4:30pm and flick jigs for an hour or so until it's too dark to see. Very relaxing, and usually quite productive.