Hardy's Bay

Sammy

G'day Raiders,

I have an opportunity to go up to Hardy's Bay during the school hols and was just wandering how the place fishes? you know whether to bring the rods ( beach/land based ) etc and what can I expect to be on the chew this time of year?

I'll probably bring all types of rods as I can't help myself but any tips that can be provided will be greatly appreciated Cheers :beersmile:

Hi mate

Sorry for the delay, Hardy's Bay itself is not much chop but around the bay at Wagstaff Point there is a good whalf on the channel then further around is half tide rocks good land based spot. Also in between Hardy's Bay and Wagstaff is Pretty Beach which has a small whalf which fishes well for squid at night under the lights.

Hope this helps

Charlie

Hi Putty Beach is not bad either other end from Kilcare in the national park, I believe Brisbane Waters is a protected area for gathering nippers etc in the intertidal zone (might be worthwhile checking) there is a small creek runs into the bay near pretty beach that usaully has poddy mullet. Have a good weekend it's a great place, lived at Pretty Beach for a few years.

Charlie

We used to get big sand whiting (34-46cm) on blood worms off the flats in the corner down from the Marina. There are also some thumper flathead around the drop offs and in the blind channel (other side of the oyster leases). Try the Pretty Beach flats for nippers on the low and fish them back over the flats on the high tide. You will usually get a feed of Flatties and Whiting. :biggrin2:

There are big mullet off most of the wharves and the Wagstaff Public Wharf used to have Blackies if you can get some weed!!! :thumbup:

If you can get a boat (Andersons hire them) you can drift with poddy mullet and nippers and pick up all sorts of things. We have caught Morwong and big Bream at the rip, school jewies i the channles and the odd King has been seen in there.

These are all estuary tips, I have never fished the beach but have heard they get big Tailor during the summer.

Tight lines mate :biggrin2:

That's a good tip about the hire boats-there are a lot of flats midstream in the area that you can just beach on and wade on the runout, and keeper flathead are starting to show up-suckers for a slow SP;I got a few on Tuesday on a clear power minnow at Wagstaff.

Dave.