Narra X Lake 29 Nov 07

stylo

It was a beautiful day today so we went for a kayak-fish today at Narra Lakes and we hit a spot where the whiting were literally leaping over our kayaks .. But we did not land one ! I had my Berk pumpkin seed worm working hard only to see their tails get shredded without landing any .. :05:

Guess WE got brained by the whiting today ...

Highlight was hooking on to a 50+cm flattie too with a Berk pumpkinseed grub only to lose it on landing as I did not have my landing gear ready :05: x 2 !!

Notes for next time:

* Have landing net / gloves / keeper net ready

* Don't be a tightarse and buy proper shock leader .. flattie smashed the 8lb suffix mono I am currently using as the leader

* Stay close to your mate so you don't lose your way !

Les

It was a beautiful day today so we went for a kayak-fish today at Narra Lakes and we hit a spot where the whiting were literally leaping over our kayaks .. But we did not land one ! I had my Berk pumpkin seed worm working hard only to see their tails get shredded without landing any .. :05:

Guess WE got brained by the whiting today ...

Highlight was hooking on to a 50+cm flattie too with a Berk pumpkinseed grub only to lose it on landing as I did not have my landing gear ready :05: x 2 !!

Notes for next time:

* Have landing net / gloves / keeper net ready

* Don't be a tightarse and buy proper shock leader .. flattie smashed the 8lb suffix mono I am currently using as the leader

* Stay close to your mate so you don't lose your way !

Les

Hi Stylo,

good to know the lake is fishing well, even though you didnt take too much home. :05: I share that same problem with being prepared, there is always something that I need that I have left at home, or I just havent spent the money on yet. <_<

I wonder if they would have been more willing if you had been using beach worms? My plan is to get some this afternoon at the low, and see if I can put them to good use.

Which part of the lake were you in for the action? :fisher:

cheers

Sails

G'day, there was a bloke in a kayak at patonga yesterday, he had his net in a cradle along the side so not to get in the way I guess while he was flicking. The leader we use for flatties is 4.6 kg, fluorocarbon Seaguar, expensive but very good, also use a larger berkley gulp 5" with a 3/0 jig , then the flatties will get a gob full of SP and hook and not have those fangs anywhere near your leader.. Cheers Mate... Ray R...

G'day, The leader we use for flatties is 4.6 kg, fluorocarbon Seaguar, expensive but very good, also use a larger berkley gulp 5" with a 3/0 jig , then the flatties will get a gob full of SP and hook and not have those fangs anywhere near your leader.. Cheers Mate... Ray R...

HEY STYLO DON'T THOSE FLATHEAD ALWAYS SEEM TO FIND SOME WAY TO SHAKE THEMSELVES OFF WHEN YOU HAVEN'T GOT A NET !!!

Hey Ray I your idea of the bigger 5" baits..... For flathead fangs and toothy fish, say you use small pieces of tubing, in particular fluro the way I'm looking at it, each side of the loop and a couple of inches up the line would that assist and still work those berkley soft plastics ok? If so I might consider hanging a treble at the loop knot...... I suppose you could add to that in some instances and put a spinner bait and a shiner above it as well.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Thx for the tips fellas .. better late but prepared than not I say !! Going to definitely get some proper leader material.

Sails, we were fishing all over the western side of the lake .. the whiting are in there with the water being so warm and all. Just need to keep an eye open for when they are leaping and then go stealth them !!

BTW every second cast we were pulling in a lot of stringy weed in parts of the lake. Is this the weed that the blackfish feed on ?

Thx for the tips fellas .. better late but prepared than not I say !! Going to definitely get some proper leader material.

Sails, we were fishing all over the western side of the lake .. the whiting are in there with the water being so warm and all. Just need to keep an eye open for when they are leaping and then go stealth them !!

BTW every second cast we were pulling in a lot of stringy weed in parts of the lake. Is this the weed that the blackfish feed on ?

Hi Stylo.

never seen a whiting taking air, :huh: are you sure it wasn't mullet jumping :unsure: as that is common on the lake.

That stringy weed is good for blackfish, but at present there is good ( better ) weed and cabbage on the ocean rocks and it is working well when there are fish around.

I got a handfull of beachworms this afternoon so I'll go and give the lake a try tomorrow. :1boat:

cheers

Sails

God point sails .. some were smaller and they may have been mullet, but there were 30+ cm models taking air !!? Looked like whiting to me - but I will take a closer look next time though !!

Good luck today, hope you bag out with the suckers .. they love bloodworm!

Unlucky with the flattie mate, must have been spewing!! Oh well, all apart of fishing! Id say those big 30cm+ jumpers would hav been mullet as well, i dont think it is common (if at all) for whiting to get airborne... Good luck on the flatties next time round!

Unlucky with the flattie mate, must have been spewing!! Oh well, all apart of fishing! Id say those big 30cm+ jumpers would hav been mullet as well, i dont think it is common (if at all) for whiting to get airborne... Good luck on the flatties next time round!

Yeh, all part of fishing .. getting out there is half the fun !

Mullet it is ! I'd better get a better look next time :1prop:

Would the flatties be chasing the mullet for a feed ? I hooked the flattie where the mullet were in abundance ..

Hi Stylo when you see mullet jumping you have to determine whether they are being hunted or not.....

A.- They are jumping in joy because they feel safe and fancy free in the conditions and the leaders are showing the way and giving a signal to the school, part of the species survival thing.

B- you will clearly see bait fish skipping erratically, changing course, zig zagging around in panic and increasing speed if they are being chased.

In the case of A - It's a good idea to berley up and use tiny fly hooks on dough to catch a few of them and move away to drop them into chanells or places out of their area when they are in abundance.

In the case of B - you can drop mullet livies among them or another variety of live bait, dead bait or try hardbodies if the mullet appear to be in over abundance.

Hope this helps because mullet out of area can be an excellent bait for flathead and they are also sought after by other predator fish higher up in the pecking order.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Good advice jewgaffer.

stylo - live poddie mullet to about 15cm max are possibly THE best bait for big flatties, esp in narra lakes. There has been some huge fish taken in the lakes on poddies and herring over the last few years. You can jig up the herring next to any of the bridge pylons, particularly the bridge near the woolies. You dont even need to bait up the jigs for herring, they are suicidal!

In terms of flatties feeding where the mullet are jumping, it all depends. I dont think the big 30cm+ mullet would be jumping out of danger but if you see the smaller ones breaking the surface in a panic rather then free jumping then i would definately have a go flicking a lure in there direction. I find the squidgy fish in black and gold particularly good for mimicking mullet, and the gary glitter is also very good when the water is a bit darker.