Sambo's

aussie big bob

Hi they’re fellow raiders

I was just wondering if any one out there have picture of lures they use on sambo’s.

The reason I ask is because I was out on the bay yesterday and there where sambo’s everywhere

But as always every thing I threw at them ended up with the same result. zip

This is not the first time that I have failed at the sambo’s. :mad3: In actual fact it is properly the 8 encounter with the same result.

I am starting to doubt my ability as a :1fishing1: as I can not even catch a sambo even when they’re starring me in the face.

Cheers

bob

james1990 and i hooked them on metal slice lures called "knight 20" on saturday in the bay!

their available in every tackle shop! if you dont know the lure let me know and ill put the pic up!

i also think smallish floating poppers and smallish plastics would work depending on what youd like to do!

also foud that the fish were in small broken up groups and moving around quickly which was difficult as we had to race over to say 30-40m away from where the birds were workin fire a few casts then find the birds again! constantly chasing them!

Edited by wildfish

Bob,

Spanyids metals are the way to go IMO, sometimes the sambos will hit the bigger lures, other times they hit as small as 10gm ones. having a few in each size is handy, but ive lost way too many chasing the smaller salmon groups that head upstream from the snags :(

post-1543-1191231228_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Davy

Match the hatch mate.

:dito:

Thats what i forgot to mention.

Greetings all

I have absolute sucess in these sitautions, by using a very small silver fly, on 8lb trace.

basically go to the area where the salmon are, and drift there or anchor, (its ok, as you will

realise that the salmon will swim away and constantly come back in the same area)

drift out your unweighted line, and the fly which is basically a few light strands of dull silver tinsel

(3 millimetres thick and 1.5 cm long on a size 12 fly hook),

the salmon will soon see it (20metres behind the boat), and you will have an instant hook up.

ilk

Bob,

Spanyids metals are the way to go IMO, sometimes the sambos will hit the bigger lures, other times they hit as small as 10gm ones. having a few in each size is handy, but ive lost way too many chasing the smaller salmon groups that head upstream from the snags :(

post-1543-1191231228_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Davy

:dito:

Thats what i forgot to mention.

that top one is a pearler, we get kings and sambos on them consistently when the fish are around, just make sure you have a varied size range and you will be fine.

better luck next time mate hope you bag out.

Hi Bob I know a fair bit about salmon from my beach fishing days..... particularly on the far South coast / Vic border beaches when there was hardly much better beach fishing in the daytime than for salmon or tailor in the gutters... at places like Mallacoota and Wonboyn rocks and the beach area up from the bar.........Also from hooking nothing but salmon in Broken bay when fishing for kingfish which were supposedly underneath the salmon schools.

A salmon's mouth is very soft for the strong and powerful fish they are for their size......for some reason the mouths get softer and pro rate worse as to the hooks working holes in the flesh and coming loose, as salmon get bigger and heavier....... with all their antics and tail spins it is very easy for them to work the hooks loose whether they are trebles or single hooks...... Gang hooks on pilchards are a problem as the middle hook barb does a lot of swivelling around and loosens the other two on a three hook rig.

I would use a snell of two with wire or tubing in between them on suicide hooks so as not to give them long shank leverage which works the hooks loose nearly everytime if you put salmon under anything near normal pressure. ..... I would definitley not use a swivel for salmon because of all the zig zag and head shakes they dish out.......just a have a knot between the braid and mono leader as a swivel is only really necessary on mono to mono.

You really have to play a salmon fairly gently not to pull the hooks and it really requires the "gentle art of persuasion" to have a high percentage rate of landing them.... that is the sport of catching salmon the playing and the landing! .....the art is in knowing how to let them run and being able to lose none of them is really the daily challenge when you have a high regard for the sport in fishing for salmon on light gear and saltwater fly type gear.

The fun with salmon is being able to enjoy sporty rod action and there is a show patience and know how required to slowly but gently tire out salmon without losuing a single fish........smoothly feeding out the drag without putting any pressure against the run especially of a diving or jumping salmon...... and the challenge with salmon is not to just catch 10 or 20 but not to lose a single fish.

Salmon is one fish that I would never use a near locked up drag on which is my favourite method with so many other fish.

Hope this helps

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I often find when they are being difficult and feeding on tiny bait like eyes they will ignore even the smallest metals and when they hook up the trebles are so small they spit em pretty easy. In this situation i find bigger offerings like 6-9 inch stickbaits like sluggos hook up, i dont know why but they do. Also when there slurping off the top a small popper around 3 inches will often entice a strike. :biggrin2:

oldsalty

work out each metals optimum speed , and spice things up with a bit of rod tip work.... some need flat out presentation, others need a medium retrieve.....

don't worry man... i have had a couple of session on salmon where baitfish have been exploding all around me and we had to work hard for a hookup....

the suggestion above of using a popper has merit...

a guy that i used to livebait with always has a popper rigged and rips a couple of casts every 20 minutes or so....

this is like a dinner bell to fish sulking down deep

hope this helps

ian

Mate, have a look through my old posts regarding pelagic action from earlier this year. For years now i have been cleaning up on all sorts of pelagics on Berkley 3" minnows, and in the last year Zoom tiny flukes have prove effective as well.

This is the only method, combination i will use on these medium pelagics, as tossing metals or flies just doesnt compare to the success of 3" stickbaits.

DAN

I find metals the most basic of lures to use, and the first salmon ignore on hard days.

My first choice is an unweighted 4 1/2 inch stick bait. This is the best I have found on the salmon in the Bay and on the Harbour. I use sluggos but probably anything similar would work. You have to position your boat correctly and cast with the wind with these light lures.

slug_on_texposer.gif

First of all would like to say thanks to all the raiders for their help.

Was at the tackle shop yesterday and purchased some of the lures mention in the reply's

6 spanyids all different sizes

3 packs of 3" minnows

4 small popers

Now all i have to do is find the sambo's again and try them out

thanks again for all your help

cheers

bob