Cowan Creek Fish

mexaust

I am a new member and new to boating. I have been out on Cowan creek (Apple Tree) and Hawkesbury (Mooney mooney) several times without a fish...

My reputation is at stake because my son has been with most trips also the wife who's looking foreward to a feed, you know....

Can anyone help save my honour??? :wacko:

Thanks and great site,

Mex

Cowan is a vast waterway which menas you have to find the fish rather than sit and wait for them to come to you. :wacko:

If you have a sounder, look for structure, drop offs, holes etc. Get fresh local bait such as squid, yabbies and yakkas.. try some tube or blood worms also as the system holds massive whiting particularly out on the banks opposite Juno. These worms are available at tavkle shops and are live. Drifting is a good way to cover ground and locate the fish.

Try soft plastics on the drop offs in the bays. There are usually flatties everywhere. :biggrin2:

Don't ignore Pittwater either. There is good King action in there in the summer. Live squid are the key!

We have fished this waterway extensively from Waratah Bay to Pittwater and back up to the bridges in the Hawkesbury and although there are some very quiet days, we usually come home with something for the table. We had most of our success when we varied our techniques and targetted several species proactively. :thumbup:

G,Day Mex,

Welcome to the site, my mate RayR and I fish extensively near the mouth of the Hawkesbury and around Patonga, Lion Island. Lately, along with others on this site we have been having a ball with flatties and soft plastics around the shoreline at Patonga and catching bream and trevs around Lion Island. The fishing is only going to get better over the next couple of months. Good Luck and I look forward to your posts.

Regards, Hutcho

Yeah Mex, I agree with Hutcho as I am the Ray R he refers to in his post, keep flicking the soft plastics around , and have an anchor around Lion, chuck some chopped up old pillies over and the bream will come from miles away. Have fun out there and welcome to Fishraider.. Cheeers Ray R..

Welcome dude.

Cowan is a hard nut to crack. It's a flooded valley with lots of underwater features so the fish are quite spread out. The number one thing is berley. Berley up to attract the fish, a little but often.

I love fishing Cowan and I have a few "Spot X"'s there.

Richie.

Thanks guy, great welcome!

I have been fishing with Prawns and Mullet, I think i wll try the Plastic (a recurring theme in the replies: shan, Hutcho, Ray, Ceph) and berley.

No souder yet Ceph, and Chicken Breast, Browney? they're a bit fussy hey?

quinfish Pops and Richie I keep a look out for you on the water.

pesitance and resiliance come to mind.

but it's never a day wasted; on the water with my son, nothing better. :1fishing1:

thanks again,

Mex