Narrabeen Lakes

GK510

Hi all,

I was a little bored last night so I thought I would cure my boredom by going and throwing a line in. I grabbed my gear and headed on down to Narrabeen. I turned up at the Woolies bridge to find that the street lights weren't working. I often go to the bridge at night because the street lights come in very handy when trying to re-rig etc. Lucky I took my torch.

Anyway, I baited up with my first peeled prawn and was getting bites straight away :D

I felt something having a good tug and soon realised that I was on. I wasn't sure what it was at first as it just felt like a dead weight. I thought I may have just got caught up in some weed. I was surpised to see an octopus on the end of the line once I had reelied it in. :o He was swiftly released so I could bait up again.

I had pulled in about five undersize bream and then I was on again. It felt quite weighty so I reeled it in with great anticipation to find a large flatty had taken a liking to my prawn. Unfortunately, he had a few good shakes when I lifted him out of the water and snapped my leader off :1badmood: I wasn't too happy as I reckon he would have been pushing the 50 cm mark. I ended up pulling in another couple of flattys but they would have been borderline legal so they were released.

By this stage, I was starting to wonder if the lack off street lights was having an effect on the fish as I have never had so many bites, let alone caught so many fish at the bridge at night.

Time for my next cast. Once again, it didn't take long before I was getting bites again. Then whack, my rod bent over and I was on again. This one was up for a bit of a fight. I started to head around to my right in the direction of the weeds and I thought I was going to lose it but to my joy this didn't happen. I was extremely happy when I finnally reeled him in. A nice bream. A PB for me at 33 cm. :yahoo:

Unfortunately I came home with a bit of a battle scar. I managed to snap the tip of my rod when I pulled the bream in. It's a rack raider and has snapped off right above the first guide down from the tip. Any ideas on what would be the best way to fix this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham. :beersmile:

post-5378-1191887947_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately I came home with a bit of a battle scar. I managed to snap the tip of my rod when I pulled the bream in. It's a rack raider and has snapped off right above the first guide down from the tip. Any ideas on what would be the best way to fix this would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham. :beersmile:

Graham,

Nice Bream.. you are lucky being able to sneak out for an evening session on a week night!! :1prop:

Regarding your rod tip, you are sort of lucky, in a way, as you can simply remove the guide and binding and put a new tip on and still have a decent rod. If it had broken half way between the tip and guide, you would have to reposition the last 2-3 guides. This happened to one of my rods and it is now better than before as it has become stiffer and is more suited to plastics! :thumbup:

Slip it down to the tackle shop and they will probably fix it on the spot! You can do it yorself pretty easily though.. use 5 minute Araldite to glue the new tip on. :biggrin2:

Thanks Ceph.

I picked up a new Fuji tip today and have just been up in the garage fitting it. It a looks to have worked OK at this stage. I guess the proof will be when I have my next big bream hooked up. Hopefully next time it will be closer to the 40 cm mark :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Graham.

Thanks Ray. Lately I have been starting to catch a few more reasonable size fish. I think its because I have become more patient in waiting for that good bite before I try to jag them.

Graham,

Nice Bream.. you are lucky being able to sneak out for an evening session on a week night!! :1prop:

Ahhhh......weeknight evening sessions. This has to be one of the best benefits to being single. There's nothing like going for fish to relax away the worries of the working day :thumbup:

I would say you are probably right southerly. Recently I have started to notice quite a few prawns drifting past just as the tide starts to run out. Perhaps I should take a net with me next time and get myself some fresh bait! :1prop:

Cheers,

Graham.

Hi GK510 Glad you found a fuji tip guide to suit. If you find your rod is not the good rod it was after cutting so much off it give me a yell . There are top quality, three different size nibble tips available in Victoria on a quality bargain priced nibble tip rod....... you can fit any one into the blank after you hacksaw it down to suit the diameter of the solid glass nibble tips.... your rod will finish up about 6- 8 inches longer and livelier with a better backbone just like a specially made custom rod :thumbup: ....you will finish up the complete nibble tip rod you buy left over as well as one spare nibble tip left over, the light, medium or the medium heavy one. Most of all you will still have your old rod, just much better that's all.

I repaired a broken tip and a car door job on a yankee Bigwater and a classy Sh/Pre President rod and they both finished up more sensitive and hook up on the slightest shiver or shake and I'll probably hacksaw down another good ugly stik rod just to have another nibble tip rod and one new nblle tip rod for next to nothing :thumbup:

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi GK510 Glad you found a fuji tip guide to suit. If you find your rod is not the good rod it was after cutting so much off it give me a yell . There are top quality, three different size nibble tips available in Victoria on a quality bargain priced nibble tip rod....... you can fit any one into the blank after you hacksaw it down to suit the diameter of the solid glass nibble tips.... your rod will finish up about 6- 8 inches longer and livelier with a better backbone just like a specially made custom rod :thumbup: ....you will finish up the complete nibble tip rod you buy left over as well as one spare nibble tip left over, the light, medium or the medium heavy one. Most of all you will still have your old rod, just much better that's all.

I repaired a broken tip and a car door job on a yankee Bigwater and a classy Sh/Pre President rod and they both finished up more sensitive and hook up on the slightest shiver or shake and I'll probably hacksaw down another good ugly stik rod just to have another nibble tip rod and one new nblle tip rod for next to nothing :thumbup:

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

:1fishing1: There are some v helpful folks on this site