First Run

Ozy

I had my first run in the new baby today and apart form Hornet's disease it was great.

Trimmed all the way in there is a slight porpoising problem, trying to trim out ever so slightly worsened it but when I filled the livewell it improved and didn't porpoise trimmed in but still couldn't trim out at all.

The mechanic that set it up was with me and he wants to put a wedge on the transom but I still reckon I will have problems trimming out and trimmed all the way in looks too much of an angle already.

What about raising or lowering the motor??

Any thoughts??

congrats ozy, you might try raising the top of the transom where the motor bolts in doing this you lift the entire motor up by say 50mm, which then in turn brings the prop closer to the v of the boat you could also try those plastic fins you bolt to the leg. if you choose to add height to the transom make sure they weld a box section on to the top of the transom & not just bolt a section on , its a lot of buggering around however a bolted section will generally crack over time. hope this helps.

Ozy - check with Rick.  He recenlty changes motor height on his hornet and reckons its a big improvement.  So the porpoising thing isn't just hornets either eh ??  It must be a feature of that style of hull maybe ??

23988[/snapback]

Thanks Pedro, already done it :biggrin2: .

Guest bluecod

Guys, being a very satisfied owner of an earlier model Quinnie [FishRunner] , Ken's real warranty problems with Quinnie and the diversity of boats currently available- can anyone explain the current trend towards Quintrex Hornets - why not some other brand?

I know that in the 60's 70's and to a lesser exent in the 80's there was no real serious competition - but haven't things chsnged or is it a bystanders perception?

Guest bluecod

Ozy,

Sorry mate I didn't gell that it wasn't a Hornet - let me rephrase that - why is it that these new fangled V-nosed punts don't shape up as well as either an old fashioned flat bottomed punt or a v_ nosed centre console - I can sell you one of both if you want. [jeez isn't this going to stir the pot?]

Guest bluecod

Ozy,

Sorry mate I'm full of God's nectar at the moment and really shouldn't be having a go - after all you're only after some advice - whereabouts is the cavitation plate on the motor in relation to the chines on the hull ??

I reckon that the porpoising problem stems from the modern mechanics trying to get more of the motor into the water than what is needed - provided the cavitation plate is sitting on the water line at speed, you shouldn't need the motor much deeper than that.

have someone else drive it at speed and check the motor positioning out for yourself. If its electric trim and tilt you might be able to get away with careful trimming, however it its full manual you may need to select another stop notch to get a better result. If this doesn't work for you then try differnt transome heights until you get the optimum result - alternatively when I replaced the motor on my centre console, the new Yammie appeared to be wanting to uplift the nose of the boat out of the water at most times - I've fixed it by installing a "dolphin" or aquaplane to the motor, resulting in th emotor getting more lift and forcing the nose of the boat down.

Hope this gives you some clues.

Bluecod,

Have a look here for a better description of the boat. http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...?showtopic=2430

Attached is a pic of the cav plate in relation to the hull and already a few have told me it's too low.

I'm going to take it back and get them to raise it to be level with the hull not the keel.

What do you reckon???

post-166-1103285936_thumb.jpg

post-166-1103285951_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ozy

Guest bluecod

Ozy,

I agree, its sitting too low and needs to come up level with the hull - the keel is designed to sit in the water at any speed - its the hull that gives the planing surface - and make sure they use plenty of sealant around the bolt holes.

Water coming off the hull should be flush with the cav plate on the motor - if you still have a problem fit an aquaplane - at around $100 they're a good investment and will give the tail of your boat more lift, although you do sacrifice a little top end speed.

Edited by bluecod