Rod Holders

andrew399

Hi everyone,

Just after some advice! Im about to put in new rod holders that will mainly be used when live baiting kings. Question is how much do i need to spend to get a holder that will do the job? Iv been told to go the scotty's but they are nearly 80 bucks each and for a uni student thats a bit rough! Will the berkley ones do the job, about 35 bucks? Im just worried the cheaper ones may not stay locked in at the angle if too heay a strike occurs and i'l lose my rod....

Thanks for the tips!

hi dicko,

i will be upgrading my plastic ones to ss.... the thought of losing my gear overboard because plastic breaks is not good.... you never know when that big hood is gonna smash that ceph and the ol plastic ones just are not up to it.... i have one of those adjustable you beaut scotty ones and am not very impressed with the sturdiness of it.... i only use it for bait table holder now..... so my answer would be go ss and they are only around $20 odd... but that also depends on your boat your fitting them to...... cheers....steve......

hi dicko

i only us ss ones on my boat ive seen them plstic ones ripped clean off the sides of boats, rod and all.

So only use the ss holder they are cheaper than the plastic ones.

cheers

miller

Edited by miller

Hi Dicko

Here's a different approach, keep the plastic holders but screw or bolt a length of 200lb trace wire to your boat (near the holder), at the other end of the trace place a strong spring clip. The idea is, when the rod is in the holder, you clip it to the boat, when you get a bite, you unclip and use as per normal. I've seen this sort of set up on game fishing boats that hunt the big tuna where they use an extended game rods more like a base game rod (10 foot pls). This way, even if the plastic holder breaks (or the rod jumps out of the holder), the rod and reel are still attached to the boat by the trace wire, simply pull it in.

Mick F

Hi Dicko

Here's a different approach, keep the plastic holders but screw or bolt a length of 200lb trace wire to your boat (near the holder), at the other end of the trace place a strong spring clip. The idea is, when the rod is in the holder, you clip it to the boat, when you get a bite, you unclip and use as per normal. I've seen this sort of set up on game fishing boats that hunt the big tuna where they use an extended game rods more like a base game rod (10 foot pls). This way, even if the plastic holder breaks (or the rod jumps out of the holder), the rod and reel are still attached to the boat by the trace wire, simply pull it in.

Mick F

A length of nylon cord with a clip on it will do just as well and is easier to set up.

Dave

Hi Dicko.

Another idea is to mount extra stainless steel hand rails onto your gunnels, the nut and bolt type . These are very handy to have as grab rails as well. They cost about thirty bucks each.

There are stainless steel rod holders that you can buy with a rod protection insert and cup in them which are adjustable to tilt in any direction, using an allen key in the centre of the unit to rotate the teeth to set the angle. These are top qualty U.S. patented and are available at around thirty bucks also.

I have 8 of these mounted on the factory hand rails at the stern and around the bow rails, my boat being a centre console, as well as four factory built in SS rod holders on the gunnels and another 7 SS rod holders mounted on the frame of the centre console for rod storage, net and gaff etc.

I have the factory built-ins facing the stern so that I can use 10' rods above the 7' boat rods, and I have the built-ins facing down the gunnels towards the stern to be able to get good line clearance and extra casting distance using beach rods.

The rail mounted rod holders are excellent for mounting downriggers using the male SS rod holder's male gimble insert which is used to mount the downrigger's base on. This method also gives down riggers extra height, makes your downriggers portables and saves drilling holes in the boat.

I can also mount my springers into the downrigger bases and locked them down into the rod holder gimbal inserts after use.

Just giving you a few more ideas to get the best results.

I have been out in quite a few boats with plastic rod holders on them and in particular the adjustable types and they are so flimsy and wobbly that it has been better for me to not use them at all and just lean my rods against the sides of the boat and leave my reels in loose drag.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer