Certate 2500

KingsRule

For around the $250.00 dollar mark you will struggle to find a loomis ( the most over rated and over priced rods on the market ) Brand name rods rely on exactly that BRAND NAME to sell themselves. Have a good look at what is out there these days and you will see that loomis is fast being left behind in the componentry and build quality stakes. This is my personal opinion of course and many will not agree but do your homework and you will find quite a few rods in your price range that will suit.

Cheers Shane.

Thanks guys

I think matraville is just a bit far for me to go unfortunatley:(

I will be using if for harbour pelagics , most likely to be spooled up with 6 or 8 pound braid.

Rob

Rob,

Check out the Pflueger Medalist and President series. Nice action and they use SIC guides.The are priced around the $270 mark and are good value. If you send me your email, I will send the catalogue pages to you :thumbup: My brother in law has one which he uses with a Stella for Kings. The Shimano TCurves are also pretty good and you can choose the Recoil Titanium guide option of you want.

Loomis have fantastic blanks but, as the boys mentioned earlier, their builds can be cheap and the rods can be over priced. I have a few Loomis rods which I built up using decent components and they are superb.

Other than that, you wil have to sniff around the tackle shop and see what you can find. I would make sure the guides are Fuji SIC. Alconites are ok too but, avoid cheap imitations or low end guides. You will only pay for it later. :thumbdown:

You have a very good reel so, I think you should do it justice!! :biggrin2:

Thanks guys, exactly the kind of info i was after :biggrin2:

Ceph that would be awesome , will send u my email

Deffinatley gonna go and check out the starlo stix and daiwa rods, i havnt seen anywhere that sells the nitro rods locally which is a bit of a bummer.

Rob

KR

If you're thinking Nitro, then the Magnum Butt (4 - 6 kg) should be a good fit.

If you really want to go light (you mentioned 6 - 8 lb braid), then maybe the Distance Spin. But you really wouldn't be fishing the reel anywhere close to its limit.

cheers,

dave

I don't want to hijack this thread but since I'm looking for a similar thing to match with my 2500R It's probably not worth starting another thread so If anyone can help, Please do.

I'm in need of a 2Pce rod for travelling overseas, and looking to tangle with various reef species in the Solomons. I'm not looking to wrestle monster GTs out of their lair but certainly hope to give the Managable GT's, coral trout, emperors etc up to about 15kg(with luck) a touch up around the shallow lagoons and bommies. I've spooled up with 20lb braid. I've not seen the Magnum Butt. I have had a feel of the Viper(7ft, 4-8kg) tho' I reckon the extra length(7'6") of the magnum butt would be a definite advantage. Not had any other feedback of how good the nitro rods are rated. Oh and species I'll target @ home are squire/snapper, tuna and Kings.

Others i've like the feel of were all 1 pce rods. I've had a play with the t-curve Powerspin but i reckon it's too short @ 6'7"and the SW spin is a bit too stiff (5-10kg).

Whadda ya reckon? :wacko:

Cheers Roo.

Why not check out the new ATC range of rods. They are only available from a select few shops in sydney but they have a couple of rods that will fit the bill nicely.

Cheers Shane.

Shane - Have to agree with you and I think the first time I have heard these rods mentioned on this forum. I bought the ATC 7 foot (2 piece) "Camoumax" CAM702S for a recent trip to Fiji.

Think I paid about $200 for it. Used it in Fij for trolling reefs for pelagics, casting at dollies (caught a couple to about 7kg) and also used it up river for mangrove jacks and trevally on the same trip. Light enough to cast single handed repetitively.

Pretty well pleased with the performance of this stick, casts poppers and metals a country mile (had a 4000 size Sustain on it spooled 8kg braid) 2500 or 3000 size Daiwa would be perfect for this stick IMO.

Guess my main reason for purchase was to get a 2 piece that would fit in my rod tube and wouldnt cry tears of blood if the baggage handlers broke it. But developed a real liking for it and looking to take it out on the harbour this summer.

John

Shane - Have to agree with you and I think the first time I have heard these rods mentioned on this forum. I bought the ATC 7 foot (2 piece) "Camoumax" CAM702S for a recent trip to Fiji.

Think I paid about $200 for it. Used it in Fij for trolling reefs for pelagics, casting at dollies (caught a couple to about 7kg) and also used it up river for mangrove jacks and trevally on the same trip. Light enough to cast single handed repetitively.

Pretty well pleased with the performance of this stick, casts poppers and metals a country mile (had a 4000 size Sustain on it spooled 8kg braid) 2500 or 3000 size Daiwa would be perfect for this stick IMO.

Guess my main reason for purchase was to get a 2 piece that would fit in my rod tube and wouldnt cry tears of blood if the baggage handlers broke it. But developed a real liking for it and looking to take it out on the harbour this summer.

John

Hi Blood Knot,

It would be great if you could show us some pictures of the rod.

Could you also PM me the Tackle Shops that stock these rods?

Cheers

:biggrin2:

John

"Camoumax" CAM702S

this one! how light is the tip? fast taper?

I've only seen the ATC Hardsticks and one of the Funky orange coloured "Ace Max" rods. Had'nt considered these before but you make a good point about the baggage handling.

cheers Roo.

Edited by Roo

"Camoumax" CAM702S

this one! how light is the tip? fast taper?

I've only seen the ATC Hardsticks and one of the Funky orange coloured "Ace Max" rods. Had'nt considered these before but you make a good point about the baggage handling.

cheers Roo.

Yeh thats the one mate - Tip is (for want of the correct descriptor) what I would call firm (stiffish). The taper of the rod is moderate and loads up progressively from the tip rather than having all the grunt at the butt end, though there is plenty there imo.

Hope I have not confused anyone with this reply, its pretty subjective I guess

I am in Baulkham Hills PM me if you want to have a look.

John

Yeh thats the one mate - Tip is (for want of the correct descriptor) what I would call firm (stiffish). The taper of the rod is moderate and loads up progressively from the tip rather than having all the grunt at the butt end, though there is plenty there imo.

Hope I have not confused anyone with this reply, its pretty subjective I guess

I am in Baulkham Hills PM me if you want to have a look.

John

Cheers John,

everything is useful...thanks for your input, I'd take you up on the offer but i'm a fair way north......Byron bay so cheers anyway. Your desciption is quite handy actually, I think i know exactly how it would work. I've done a little bit of research on Poppering and from what i've read the slower action is ideal for this style of fishing.

cheers Roo.

Hey guys, i recently ordered one and am undecided what rod to match it on. I dont have big bux to spend as i used most of them up on the reel. Does anyone have any reccomendations , im looking at spending upto about $250.

Rob

Dude. Go the Nitro Distance Spin. Thats what I have. Should be around $250. 7Ft 6', 2 piece. High quality graphite and guides. Perfect for harbour pelagics- tailor, bonnies, salmon etc. Will be good for everything except big kings. But if you go heavier for the kings then its overkill for everything else. I Reckon you cant beat 2 piece for conveinience, and 7Ft6' is good for tossing unweighted plastics.