What Sort Of Gears Do I Have To Get For Rock Fishing

Guest timzz

Hi everyone, i'm new to fishing in australia and am currently living in maroubra. I would like to try my hands on rock fishing but i have no idea wat sort of gears do i need to get for a newbie. could anyone help me out? thanks

rock fishing is very dangerous, and should only be attempted under calm conditions, and initially in the company of people who know what they are doing. The first gear you need to buy is safety gear. Depending on the type of rocks you are fishing from you will need either cleats or rubber soled shoes, and light clothing. You should also never fish alone. It might be good to pay a guide for the first trip at least.

As far as tackle goes, depending on what you are chasing you can select a rod and reel. A light whippy rod and reel combo will set you up for bream and blackfish, with a bit more beef needed for drummer, ranging up to a powerful combo for pelagics or groper.

There are some great DVDs on sydney rock fishing that take you through safety, tackle and locations. I'd grab one of those and book a trip out with a guide. Then you'll be totally equipped and any specific questions you have can be answered with the wealth of knowledge here. It will save you time and money ultimately, and will help you avoid the dangers of the sport.

Hi timzz,

Welcome to Australia. Which country are you from?

You'll find plenty of people on this site who can help you with rock fishing. I could be one of them: while I no longer fish "the stones", I did for many years, and started over forty years ago. I used to fish the from the rocks near the pool at Maroubra, and also at Bondi, in the 70s and from the Harbord rocks in the 80s.

The most important thing to know about rock fishing is that it's DANGEROUS: each year dozens of foolish or careless fishos get washed in, many drown.

No fish, no matter how large, is worth risking your life for. Think twice about fishing the low rocks if the swell is much over a metre. And never just go down on to the low ledges and immediately start fishing -- observe the sea for ten minutes from up high first. Swells come in "sets", several small or medium waves, then a big "boomer". That's the one that will get you -- it only takes one big wave to wash you in. It also pays to think ahead: by fishing with company-- several sets of eyes are more likely to spot a dangerous wave, particularly if you're pre-occupied landing a fish; and by planning an "escape route", should you need to quickly retreat to higher ground.

The gear you need? Where you intend to fish and the species you intend to capture will be your guide.

It's a good idea to go down to the rocks and see what the local use and how they go about using it. Many local fishos will respond well to a friendly approach, and give you valuable tips about gear and bait to use, when the fish bite, and what to be careful of.

After you have done that, you then need to decide on the species you intend to fish for. I don't have recent experience fishing Sydney rocks but, as I recall, the blackfish should be worth fishing for as we get closer to Christmas. This weed eating species is caught from low ledges, using a light to medium and long, flexible rod to fish under a float using sea cabbage as bait. You must have "cleats" on you shoes (or similar) to grip the wet rocks so you don't slip over.

From the higher ledges there will also be pelagic fish, such as tailer, salmon, kingfish, tuna and bonito to catch. Use medium to heavy tackle to fish live fish or ganged pilchards under a float, or to cast metal lures to them. Pelagic species often bite best at first light, early in the morning.

Finally, there's bottom fishing for species such as drummer, groper, jewfish and snapper (relatively rare but much prized), which require heavy tackle to sometimes cast big, heavy sinker/bait combinations long distances and to land fish from high ledges. A long handled gaff will also be necessary to land very big fish.

As a general rule, rods should be at least 10 feet long, in some cases more than twelve feet long, to fish from the rocks successfully.

I'm sure other Fishraiders can provide specific rod and reel recommendations.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hi bob,

I'm from singapore. well i dun really need to fish from the rocks but i have no idea where else i can fish in my area as the only place i can think of is the beaches like maroubra beach, coogee beach, etc. I would not mind jetty fishing as well as that is what i normally do back in singapore. do u happen to know of any where in the eastern suburbs where i can do a spot of jetty fishing? I heard that u can fish near the airport but i have no idea how to get there.

thanks so much for ur advise on the safety aspect for rock fishing i will keep that in mind if i do end up fishing on the rocks

There are plenty of spots in and around the eastern suburbs where you don't neccessarily need to expose yourself to the risks of rockfishing especially if you're unfamiliar with the area. I'm from Maroubra also and would be more than happy to show you around the local spots.

A good landbased spot near the airport is the Cooks River breakwall, you can get anything and everything from there! Even heard stories about a kingie landed there last summer!

hey timzz

first of all i have to agree with kenmare

rock fishing is definitely dangerous... i actually prefer the beach because... well, if you fall over, you dont die...

having said that though, the rocks at maroubra are ok, but you know what, you can catch equally good stuff off the beach...

now, you say you dont know where else you can go???????? mate you live in the east its about as good as it gets around here... you have

- maroubra beach (its pretty big, work up and down the beach a few times)

- coogee (also pretty big beach, nice whiting, stupid wobbegong)

- yarra (haha this is where i do most of my learning in terms of fishing, good spot)

- la perouse (good for squid, and a walk with the girlfriend as its got a restaurant)

- watsons bay (also where i do my learning, good for squid and excellent conditions with light and shelter)

- the merc (this is some serious rock fishing do NOT go on your own... come with me instead!)

- camp cove (right next to watsons bay, its a nude beach too, so ummmmmmmm.... yeah....)

- prince of wales drive

mate i think thats enough to get you started, theres a lot more than that including some super spot Xs littered throughout...

in terms of gear ill let everyone else sort you out im not too good with the gear

glucks bro

PS Hello to all my usual eastern fisho bros!!!

PPS

Kenmare, wanted to ask you how is bondi? ive been recommended to go there but i tend to avoid it for fishing because if i get there i tend to get distracted by some chics left right and centre and then forget to reel in some mahi mahi and then get beaten to an inch of my life by the :wife: for eye candying ... is it a good place?? what do you recommend, go near the bondi pools??

gness - are you talking about the 2 rock jetties off the m5??? you can see planes land right in front of you while your ear drums get blown out?? that place ya?? if it is, ive heard there are heaps of real big red rock crabs there but for some reason it smells like sewage to me? anyway, in terms of stats ive caught the most fish there, 5 tailor in one night... got bitten off by another one too!! estimate 7.6m or so

Edited by dani!o

GOODAY TIMZZ, I advise you to get to know this country first.Move around and mix with the people. Fishing especially around Rock Platforms can be extremely dangerous. Talking to people helps .however experience in fishing is important. Too many of our new migrants get into trouble by thinking that they just have to cast a line into the water. Safety is a MUST around these parts.

:1welcomeani: Best of Luck.

:1fishing1: BART

Edited by bart

gness - are you talking about the 2 rock jetties off the m5??? you can see planes land right in front of you while your ear drums get blown out?? that place ya?? if it is, ive heard there are heaps of real big red rock crabs there but for some reason it smells like sewage to me? anyway, in terms of stats ive caught the most fish there, 5 tailor in one night... got bitten off by another one too!! estimate 7.6m or so

Yeah mate, that's the spot. Though I haven't been down that way for a few weeks cos the usual suspects have been saying that it's been a bit dead lately.

There are plenty of crabs down there but there are even more bigass bait-stealing rats! :ranting2: Leave your bait out on the rocks and it'll be goooone before you even get a chance to rebait!

Yeah mate, that's the spot. Though I haven't been down that way for a few weeks cos the usual suspects have been saying that it's been a bit dead lately.

There are plenty of crabs down there but there are even more bigass bait-stealing rats! :ranting2: Leave your bait out on the rocks and it'll be goooone before you even get a chance to rebait!

yeh bro i left after dark that time and saw them scurrying around... thats part of the reason i dont want to go back there it seriously smells a bit funny and after catching the tailor i'd put the rod down and itll hit the sand... after seeing the rats, i was thinking whether or not letting my dinner touch that sand was a good idea... on the other hand ive heard fried rats are quite nice.... or i wonder what happens if you live bait one eh...

Kenmare, wanted to ask you how is bondi? ive been recommended to go there but i tend to avoid it for fishing because if i get there i tend to get distracted by some chics left right and centre and then forget to reel in some mahi mahi and then get beaten to an inch of my life by the :wife: for eye candying ... is it a good place?? what do you recommend, go near the bondi pools??

Hi danilo,

Not sure if I can be much help, certainly not with the personal situation, as I fished Bondi in the 70s -- things have probably changed a lot since then. Hopefully, for the better: back then there was less concern for the environment -- the sewerage works at North Bondi and Maroubra would pour raw sewerage straight into the ocean. I never fished at the "Murks", although the water colour everywhere would noticeably change during a strong on-shore breeze, when crap would get washed back onto the beaches.

I did however, catch my first luderick off the rocks at McKenzie's Point, which is at the southern end of Bondi Beach, between Bondi and Tamarrama. For a couple of years I fished McKenzie's regularly for blackfish, and caught my fair share. But I also observed how other species were caught.

From about December on, right through to about the end of May, the low ledges on both sides of the Point used to fish well for blackfish. On the southern side you could fish for blackfish over the sand, right back up into the bay between McKenzie's and Tamarrama.

One of the regulars used to catch snapper and other species by bottom fishing from the higher ledge just seaward where we used to catch blackfish. If you try that, however, it would be important to cast at least 50 yards onto the sandy bottom, otherwise you will lose your terminal tackle every time.

Provided you used only a small ball sinker above your baited hook, there might also be good bream to be caught over the sand, fishing the top of the tides from the high rock at the back of the bay

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards,

Bob

There are some great DVDs on sydney rock fishing that take you through safety, tackle and locations. I'd grab one of those and book a trip out with a guide. Then you'll be totally equipped and any specific questions you have can be answered with the wealth of knowledge here. It will save you time and money ultimately, and will help you avoid the dangers of the sport.

hey

do u know where i can get any of those dvds?

There are plenty of spots in and around the eastern suburbs where you don't neccessarily need to expose yourself to the risks of rockfishing especially if you're unfamiliar with the area. I'm from Maroubra also and would be more than happy to show you around the local spots.

A good landbased spot near the airport is the Cooks River breakwall, you can get anything and everything from there! Even heard stories about a kingie landed there last summer!

hey

when do u normally go to fish? i wont mind joining u when u go to fish but as my exams are round the corner i'm not sure if i defintely join u but if the timing is right i would love to check out the fishing spots that u mentioned

Hey timzz mate, firstly welcome to the site. :1welcomeani:

I've done fishing for a bit now, and my old man did a fair amount of rock fishing in the days, always suggesting though how its VERY dangerous. Ater seeing people literally standing on the rocks with waves crashing and splashing on top of them, it doesn't look to be the safest either mate. Sure you can think, "oh oh they've gotten some big fish off the rocks", not exactly the smartest thing to do if it means perhaps losing your life over it. gness is right in what he said, and I suggest taking him up on his offer, theres a lot of places out there, and it's really worth just getting around and finding the right spot for you, usually the safest too.

Those rats, lol, yea I remember going down there one night, big muthers !!! I was thinkin "S#$@ look at the size of those things"...special breed of water rats. lol Ugly buggers.

Hey timzz mate, firstly welcome to the site. :1welcomeani:

I've done fishing for a bit now, and my old man did a fair amount of rock fishing in the days, always suggesting though how its VERY dangerous. Ater seeing people literally standing on the rocks with waves crashing and splashing on top of them, it doesn't look to be the safest either mate. Sure you can think, "oh oh they've gotten some big fish off the rocks", not exactly the smartest thing to do if it means perhaps losing your life over it. gness is right in what he said, and I suggest taking him up on his offer, theres a lot of places out there, and it's really worth just getting around and finding the right spot for you, usually the safest too.

Those rats, lol, yea I remember going down there one night, big muthers !!! I was thinkin "S#$@ look at the size of those things"...special breed of water rats. lol Ugly buggers.

hello nice to meet u

its not that i definetly want to get into rock fishing but like i said b4 its just that since i came here the only place that i know where u can fish is in the beaches and normally i see ppl fishing on the rocks thats why i thought of going rock fishing. i'm actually more of a jetty fishing kinda guy but i just dun noe whereabouts i can go to do a spot of jetty fishing ard the eastern suburbs :1fishing1:

timzz,

if your not sure about rock hopping give it a miss or as thre others say find an experienced local or join one of the local clubs either South Sydney or Eastern Suburbs they havesome good rock hoppers in their ranks plus you will get to experience a lot of different spots, another thing if your not a strong swimmer wear a PFD it'll save your life if you ever go in (the gods forbid)

If not theres loads of great estuary spots close to you, Rose Bay, Botany Bay and its walls and groynes, the Cooks River. But joining a club will help you out loads and it can be fun and a great social day fishing.

Cheers

Royce.

timzz,

if your not sure about rock hopping give it a miss or as thre others say find an experienced local or join one of the local clubs either South Sydney or Eastern Suburbs they havesome good rock hoppers in their ranks plus you will get to experience a lot of different spots, another thing if your not a strong swimmer wear a PFD it'll save your life if you ever go in (the gods forbid)

If not theres loads of great estuary spots close to you, Rose Bay, Botany Bay and its walls and groynes, the Cooks River. But joining a club will help you out loads and it can be fun and a great social day fishing.

Cheers

Royce.

do u know how do i join any of those clubs?

Hi timzz,

Fishing clubs are just one option. And fishing clubs are often not what they hold themselves out to be.

Unfortunately, they can be little hotbeds of pointless politics, where people are more concerned about massaging their own egos, and killing more fish than the next person (a carry over from a past era), than welcoming newcomers or sharing knowledge and fishing experiences. Sad but true.

A better option IMHO is to take up the kind offers extended by some fellow Fishraiders on this thread and join them on a few trips, so you gain an understanding of your fishing options.

Then decide on a "favorite spot", rather than fishing a different place each week. That way you will quickly gain a lot of knowledge about how best to fish that one spot: best time of the year to fish for which species, best time-of-day and state of tide, where to cast your line, best baits, most suitable tackle and rigs and so on. Most importantly, you should try and get to know the "regulars".

Regulars are fishos who fish the same spot each week, week after week, year-in year-out. Often they live locally, and have fished the same spot all their lives. They have a wealth of information to share with you. You can learn all you need to know in a very short time if you can persuade them to share it.

At first you might find the locals a little unapproachable. After-all, you're a newcomer, an outsider. But persist, continue to turn up and remain friendly and you'll soon be accepted.

After a month or two you'll be a regular, and they'll be demanding to know why you weren't down fishing on the weekend.

Good luck.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare