Fish Breeding (aquarium)

andrew399

Hey everyone,

Jus thought id throw this one out for those that keep aquariums. I have just recently bought a male guppie and 3 female in an attempt to breed feeders for my barra. I thought this was meant to be super easy to do!!! iv had the fish for just on 3 weeks now and havnt noticed any difference in them, so was wondering how do you tell if they are pregos?

I thought gestation was only like 4 weeks so i should notice there bellies are full shouldnt i?? and if they are not pregos what can i do to encourage it. I keep the water at roughly 28 degrees as recomended by the shop, change 50% water once a week and feed twice a day....

Thanks!

If the females are not changing shape with their bellies getting bigger then they are not pregnant.

I would think that the babies of a few guppies will not be enough to feed your barra though. I used to catch the small mosquito gudgeons in the creek behind my place to feed mine.

I also had a two large Jungle Perch and a big Sarratogo.

Most of the time I fed them whitebait.

Cheers Kingpig

Yeah i know that the first lot wont be enough, i am hoping that these three will have there babies then i'l let them get bigger and all of them can have babies so that eventually i'l have a large number constantly reproducing and taking 3-4 out a week wont effect numbers that much. I have a big pond as well so eventually will transfer the guppies in there to breeed away...

thats the plan anyway!!

Guest Aussie007

hey mate just wondering how quick is your barra growing? im still considering buying a couple just unsure if there ganna out grow my 5ft tank any time soon

hey mate just wondering how quick is your barra growing? im still considering buying a couple just unsure if there ganna out grow my 5ft tank any time soon

na mate they take a fair while to get big, and also the temperature of the water affects their growth, if its real warm they are really hungry and grow very quick but in water about 22 degrees they are not too bad. This is actually a new one, the last one i had for a yr and a half in a 2 and half ft tank, fed it feeder fish about 3 times a week and in that time it probably doubled in size, but was still fine in my tank... They are a great fish to watch!

na mate they take a fair while to get big, and also the temperature of the water affects their growth, if its real warm they are really hungry and grow very quick but in water about 22 degrees they are not too bad. This is actually a new one, the last one i had for a yr and a half in a 2 and half ft tank, fed it feeder fish about 3 times a week and in that time it probably doubled in size, but was still fine in my tank... They are a great fish to watch!

he mate forget the guppies you wont breed them quick enough....just buy small goldfish a couple times a week that will do them....bob

he mate forget the guppies you wont breed them quick enough....just buy small goldfish a couple times a week that will do them....bob

Goldfish can be full of parasites and make the barra sick, if your going to feed them to him, make sure that you quarantine them in a seperate tank and treat them with some salt first for aout a week, or better still train them to take flesh foods, will take some time but it will happen.

yeah that is what iv been doing for the last 2 years for all the various natives that iv kept, but it all adds up, even if its just 3 dollars a week thats $300 over the last 2 years and im only a uni student!! Even if this is a 6 month ordeal before i get good numbers thats fine... its not even really about the money, just a little project i guess and it gives me something to do involving my interests!

anyways back to the my original question!

Its been a few years,but used to have natives for a while.Had a pair of bass a barra and a archer fish in a 4ft tank for atleast a 18months(now have tropicals because the kids like the colors).At the same time my brother in law had a tank set up with a barra approx 20-25cm long.

we were breeding feeder guppies aswell for food for both tanks,you should be able to tell when the guppies are pregnant fairly easy,due to swelling of bellly.

I know this may sound wrong to every thing you normally do,but i have had fish(on and off)for the last 20 years and i have never worried about doing regular water changes EVER.I am sure fish adjust to their enviroment.I have a pair of angel fish that regulary breed,and the male is one of the biggest angels i have ever seen,and i do nothing special to them at all.I have not done a water change in the last year atleast.

Gazza,as far as i know and have observed they will only grow as big as there surroundings let them.So they should not out grow your tank in a hurry.Start with a small barra and then you should have atleast a few years of enjoyment from them.

Stephen.

:1fishing1:

Guest Aussie007

dicko sorry to hijack your thread mate but im just wondering will the barras get along with golden gouramis and small black widows?

when you buy females you should buy them already pregnant.

yeah i tried but every where i go keeps the male and females seperate!! and i cant travel very far cos iv lost my license and dont get it back for another month...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but have been there, done that with guppies. You will need another small tank for the offspring alone, or the other adults will eat them all.

At least get a separator for the females about to birth, they will have no qualms about snacking on their own babies, and the female will be very tired after, and the other adults (esp males) will hassle her.