Looking To Buy A New Sounder

Bruce the Postie

G'day all,

A new sounder is on the cards and i wouldnt mind a bit of input from you guys.

My budget is about $500 , most of my fishing is done offshore in upto about 80 m , i am impressed with the furuno and lowrance units in this price range any other suggestions or experience with said units would be greatlly appreciated.

Cheers Bruce :beersmile:

Hi Bruce

You certainly are limited to find something around the $500 mark and I am assuming you want colour as well. Certainly the Lowrance XI67 is a possibility with the 200 watt transducer you will get your depth, but it is a small screen. You could look at Eagle and Hummingbird but I dont know to much about them. Why not save up a bit more more and get a Furuno 620 you will be delighted with it, see your friendly bank manager of wife.

G'day Whitecaps,

Thanks for your input mate , as much as a colour sounder would look good on the dash , i think that a quality b/w unit with a good resolution would be my next stepping stone in the world of high tech , My current sounder is a liarbird dx 200 with a screen picture that looks as if it's made out of lego blocks, that said it does keep me in contact with the bottom (even at speed ) at the depths that i do most of my fishing. I have my area pretty well sorted and seem to catch plenty of quality fish, but would really like to see a clearer picture of what IS going on down there.

Thanks Bruce :beersmile:

Edited by Bananaphobic

• 2 weeks later...

to get the most out of your sounder

buy the sounder with the

higest pixels count as this is what really counts

But the lowerance have 480X480 and furuno have 240x380 and most recomend the furuno hands down over the Lowerance! How confusing is that.

Definately go the furuno over the lowrance....

Specs are not everything when looking for performance in a sounder.........lowrance all be it a good sounder is not as good as a furuno.........

pixel count is important but not everything.....pixel count is just the quality of the screen/monitor....whats important is what info is sent to the monitor and the unit itself......its like the same difference between a 19 inch LCD flatscreen monitor for a pc and a normal 19ich screen..if the LCD is running on a Pentuim 3 and the 19 inch traditional monitor is running on a Pentuim 4 which unit would you rather.....thats the same comparison between the 2 brands....Lowrance have great pixel counts but are lacking in other areas.

its the hardware inside the unit and the software that runs the hardware that is important and in this regard furuno are well ahead of Lowrance.....

Mate for $600 you can get a Colour combo unit like the Garmin 178c from the states...dollar is very high at the moment........the garmin 178c is the best unit for under $1000........i have had $900 Lowrance, $800 Raymarine and the Garmin 178c in my boat over the past 12 months......The Garmin is well ahead for performance and accuracy...

Edited by netic

Shadda.....Thats right, the warranty is only valid overseas, which means the unit must be sent back if it ever breaks down on you.

I have purchased well over 10 sounders for myself and friends from overseas and none have stuffed up....Lucky i guess....will happen eventually but if it last 12 months im happy.......The local furuno delaer can still repair the overseas ones he just wont do it for free.....but the saving of well over $400 will compensate for any cost he may charge if the unit did malfunction.

The 6100 doesnt have any mapping, its just a sounder not a combo gps unit so maps are not a concern but even if it did have a gps side to it it still would be fine as mapping cards are purchase for each specific area of the world and all base maps that come with sounders are international maps

Shadda.....Thats right, the warranty is only valid overseas, which means the unit must be sent back if it ever breaks down on you.

I have purchased well over 10 sounders for myself and friends from overseas and none have stuffed up....Lucky i guess....will happen eventually but if it last 12 months im happy.......The local furuno delaer can still repair the overseas ones he just wont do it for free.....but the saving of well over $400 will compensate for any cost he may charge if the unit did malfunction.

The 6100 doesnt have any mapping, its just a sounder not a combo gps unit so maps are not a concern but even if it did have a gps side to it it still would be fine as mapping cards are purchase for each specific area of the world and all base maps that come with sounders are international maps

Actually I have read elsewhere in some detail that Furuno do have international warranty. Taylor Marine (aust. Furuno dist.) dont like it and moan about it taking ages to get OK from Furuno US for repairs but they must do it. So ultimatley that is not an issue on Furuno.

The biggest problem i have found with US sourced gear is that some (seems mainly Hummingbird) do not read in Metric.

Netic thanks for your advice, I was seriusly considering a Lowrance color 5" unit to match the colour Plotter i have (which seems great) but I am a newby and not sure if i would do it justice. The Furuno LS 4100 seems such a great buy at present (both here & OS) and i thought it would be a good stepping stone? It appears on a small boat where GPS & sounder are side by side there is no advantage in having them communicate via the comms cable?

Plus it leaves the door open for another upgrade next year, this shit is as good as home threatre for boys toys!

G'day

Netic, thanks for that link mate will look into it.

Shadda, sound advice , i will be going into this with my eyes open.

Cheers Bruce :beersmile:

banana

Remember not all Furuno's come with transducers. The link Netic provided for the LS6100 is a great price but appears less the transducer, compared with pricing for the LS4100 which does include a transducer and temp sensor.

I HAVE A FURUNO LS6100 SOUNDER WITHOUT TRANSDUCER FOR SALE.

IT IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD, BRAND NEW STILL IN THE BOX.

MAKE ME AN OFFER?

I KNOW TO BUY THE TRANSDUCER FROM BIAS BOATING FOR THE LS6100 IT IS $96.

NATHAN.

I HAVE A FURUNO LS6100 SOUNDER WITHOUT TRANSDUCER FOR SALE.

IT IS IN PERFECT WORKING ORDER ABOUT 3 YEARS OLD, BRAND NEW STILL IN THE BOX.

MAKE ME AN OFFER?

I KNOW TO BUY THE TRANSDUCER FROM BIAS BOATING FOR THE LS6100 IT IS $96.

NATHAN.

PM sent Nathan.

Cheers

Chris

Hey mate,

have you checked out the eagle Seafinder 480 DF,

dual freq, 500RMS, and 480X480 pixels, 5" screen, the same features as lowrance but with better clarity and cheaper. :thumbup:

Furuno LS 4100 is less powerful and has less pixels so I don't believe is in the same league.

Bias has the eagle at the moment for $469.00.

A good deal if you ask me.

The number of pixels do count for a lot, Just thought I would put my 2 bobs worth in. :biggrin2:

Ps I don't work for eagle or Bias.

I bought an Eagle Seacharter 502 with an external antenna. Currently $444.44 US this coverts to about $500 Aus. I recently say this unit in an Australian Boat magazine for over $1000.

I did not pay and extra duty and the guy I deal with in the US could not have been any more helpful.

The unit is excellent but being the only colour sounder I have owned I do not have anything to make a comparision against.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hey mate,

have you checked out the eagle Seafinder 480 DF,

dual freq, 500RMS, and 480X480 pixels, 5" screen, the same features as lowrance but with better clarity and cheaper. :thumbup:

Furuno LS 4100 is less powerful and has less pixels so I don't believe is in the same league.

Bias has the eagle at the moment for $469.00.

A good deal if you ask me.

The number of pixels do count for a lot, Just thought I would put my 2 bobs worth in. :biggrin2:

Ps I don't work for eagle or Bias.

I think Netic has covered the less Pixel angle pretty well, even when you look at the hi end furuno's as used by pro's they still dont offer fantastic resolution on paper, but you would think they wouldnt use them if they wernt any good!

I love the hi res colour screen on my Lowy 3500 plotter, just trying to get the best bang4buck with the sounder and the furuno LS 4100 for AUD$300 delivered seems a steel right now!

recently bought a furuno 585 from os.

i've been satisfied with these guys.

www.scubasteve.com

www.fishonmarine.net

also, type in froogle on google and follow the link - www.google.com/products - you can type in whatever product you want and you'll get a list of online stores which stock the item and a list of their prices. it's an alternative to ebay.

some traders will invoice your package below $1000 if its price is close . worth an email or a phone call before you buy.

Just as a warning the total cost inclusive of postage and all charges has to be below the limit not just the the product price

i disagree. i've called customs about that specifically.

it's the value of the purchased item ONLY which must be below $1000 AUD.