Rigging Garfish

sanger

Hey guys,

after not having much succes with yakkas recently and not being able to get a steady supply of slimies ive been thinking about giving gar fish a crack. Ive heard they are great on a downrigger for kings and also heard of people using them as salted spin baits of the rocks succesfuly. So i guess im really asking 2 questions, how do you rig them for trolling and how do you rig them for spining?????

Cheers in advance for any advice!

tight lines :1fishing1:

Hey guys,

after not having much succes with yakkas recently and not being able to get a steady supply of slimies ive been thinking about giving gar fish a crack. Ive heard they are great on a downrigger for kings and also heard of people using them as salted spin baits of the rocks succesfuly. So i guess im really asking 2 questions, how do you rig them for trolling and how do you rig them for spining?????

Cheers in advance for any advice!

tight lines :1fishing1:

hi mate

i rig gars with a single circle hook throw the nose when down rigging

and used to use them on gangs for spinning off the rocks

cheers

miller

Edited by miller

hi mate

i rig gars with a single circle hook throw the nose when down rigging

and used to use them on gangs for spinning off the rocks

cheers

miller

Cheers mate,

Just some specific's for you, when rigging with gang hooks for spinning do you use swivels between the hooks to keep the flexability or just rig point to eye???? Also what size circle hook for downrigging 5/0???

Does anyone briddle rig them???

Thanks again!

if you're going to spin off the rocks, use a rubber band wrapped around the head to the hook or trace. otherwise after the first retrieve it'll give it a bent head. alex bellisimo loves this technique using gars off the rocks

Thanks for the tip mate.... have been thinking about getting alex to show me the ropes for a while might have to get off my ass and do something about it!

Cheers mate,

Just some specific's for you, when rigging with gang hooks for spinning do you use swivels between the hooks to keep the flexability or just rig point to eye???? Also what size circle hook for downrigging 5/0???

Thanks again!

Fishlexic.....

for me if spinning.... the gar would be pinned (no swivel) just my choice...

now for downrigging as is the case for skipping the hook of choice for me

is the owner 9/0 ssw in line circle......which i would imagine fishfinder for example would stock but of cause im targetting game fish yet after saying that we catch plenty of dollies on them also............

now i cant speak for the boys who downrig for the kingies for it be best they explain there methods

but i dont bridal garries so to speak...the garrie is attached to the hook via thin copper wire

and positioned just in front of the nose of the garrie so as to best effect for a hook up....

hope that explains it enough to form the mental picture....

Cheers Warnie.....

Cheers mate,

Thanks again!

i never used swivel joins and the rubber band i forgot to mention

downrigging a 5/0 would be fine i just pin them throw the none like u would a yakka

cheers

miller

Hi Fishlexic,

The main problem with pulling garries through the water when either retrieving or trolling them is their beaks (provided you gang them correctly in the first place, of course), which cause them to twist.

One solution to make a gar "swim straight", as suggested by other Raiders is to keep the beak straight by using rubber bands or wire to attach it to the hook ( I used to use fuse wire), or alternatively, just break the beak off: predator fish are not into fine detail, and won't notice the difference.

What ever you do, it pays to use a swivel, the smaller the better within reason. I open the eye of the top-most hook of the gang and insert the eye of a small swivel before closing the hook eye again. Wire cutters are good for prizing the eye of the hook open, and robust pair of pliers can be used to close it. This gives a very neat connection to tie your line to.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

A trick I have used and still use is to put a small piece of the rubber, the type used in bike vavles on the line above the hook. Put what ever hook you want in the fish and then slide the tube over the beak of the garfish. This is just like the rubber band but i find it a lot easier.

I have used a lot of garfish for mackrel and kingies. Mackrel need wire and we use a two hook system one downwards through the beak were the mouth is and the other under the fish into the body near the vent. Then the tube over the beak with the wire through the centre.

For kings we use a four hook gang no swivel. We put the hooks up into the fish from the bottom not in the side. Make sure you twist the bait to make it swim after yuo put the hooks in. Agin the tube is used to keep the beak straight.

We aslo used a lot of garfish fo taylor of the beach.

These are a great bait but seem to have gone out of fashion since pilchards became popular.

hey guys thanks for all the great replys, I was in a fishing shop this arvo (i cant help myself im sure a few of you have the same disease) and i picked up one of the soft plastic gars that are pre rigged for trolling, Has anyone given these a go yet???? I think this is going to be a big weekend of testing out gars with the pack ive got in the freezer and the new plastic!!!!!!!! :1prop:

Edited by fishlexic

hey guys thanks for all the great replys, I was in a fishing shop this arvo (i cant help myself im sure a few of you have the same disease) and i picked up one of the soft plastic gars that are pre rigged for trolling, Has anyone given these a go yet???? I think this is going to be a big weekend of testing out gars with the pack ive got in the freezer and the new plastic!!!!!!!! :1prop:

Fishlexic......

just when you think you have it all sussed i seem to turn up and get you thinking again...sorry.

anyways.....

plenty of options have been suggested for you....me personaly

i dont salt my gars.....just fresh as on the day used

the rigging methods other than what i suggested incorporate the use of j hooks

two totally differant ways of rigging is involved.....

another way with a j hook often used is to attache a short lenght of stout wire approx 25mm to the eye of the hook

this is inserted through the bottom of the chin and protrudes through the top of the head then what they call a beakie spring

which is threaded on your leader is then screwed tight via that bit of wire sticking out the top

very quick and easy...a squid skirt is then slid down over the spring and head covering the lot....

and is very effective......

hope that is not confusing to understand...

Cheers Warnie....

If you need rigging info this site has a few articles on it. Ballyhoo are gars or close too.....

http://www.#####ingmag.com/techniques/...705-page-2.html

well, due to the website censoring of certain words where the #'s are substitute

s p o r t f i s h

.......one word with no spaces

The plastic gars need a little bit of lead either inserted into the belly or up front to help get them down a bit and get get a nice action in my experience

Edited by caranx