Some Thumping Bream In Syd Harbour

yakfishing

I broke my PB twice today with two thumping bream out of Sydney harbour at Balls Head Reserve. 1st one 38cm and 2nd one 41cm. They looked very fat and very healthy, so the breamies are obviously doing quite well at the moment out there in the harbour. Fished the runup tide, 1st biggy was an hour before high the biggest was right at the top of the tide. Fished with some fresh beef from the butcher, works a charm especially seeing the results and the fact that the guys fishing just down from me packed up and left right during prime time obviously having no luck. Caught another couple of bream - 27 and 28cm, and suprisingly only one little pesky red. Awesome day! :thumbup: Heres some pics of my big bream (all I have is the photos I let em all go)

bream1.jpg

bream2.jpg

bream3.jpg

Top effort mate! :thumbup: They really are doing well in the harbour esp when they have a liking for beef. :biggrin2: Btw, what cut of beef do they like?

Cheers.

PS. Nice work on the release.

The reddest juiciest beef you can find, for a good price (no sense buying scotch fillet!) This was just diced beef from the butcher, you can get stirfry too. Shin steak is cheap and good, but if there's some rump or something on special grab that. Its good because it holds up against the little peckers until something sizeable comes along and has a go at it.

great fish mate!

looks like your a bit partial to a prawn yourself! (is that a hook in your mouth) at least you got away!

:074: Funny you mention that I was thinking about putting a hook in there, but its only a ring at the moment.

Well done - top fish!! I am assuming you were landbased this time - but your signon name would indicate a passion for yakking as well?? I reckon you'd get into even better ones out in the yak!!

I also caught flatties on a bit of beef ..... thefat strips cut off a steak at Xmas one year .... got 2 flatties on the one bait!! :1prop: Must try the beef bit in the leases up here!! I usually target flatties & blackies, but wouldn't turn my nose up at a bream, either!

Cheers

Roberta

I was thinking like Wildfish about your lip adornment, too!! A hook would look a hoot!!!

Great fish mate! how good has the fishing got since commercial fishing was banned in the harbour, its absolutely outstanding!

Its been bloody brilliant Im loving it.

can you actually drive into there? where do you park yakfishing?

Theres a loop road around the point and a car park at the bend, but you have to walk down a bush track to get to the water, its not far tho.

Well done - top fish!! I am assuming you were landbased this time - but your signon name would indicate a passion for yakking as well?? I reckon you'd get into even better ones out in the yak!!

I also caught flatties on a bit of beef ..... thefat strips cut off a steak at Xmas one year .... got 2 flatties on the one bait!! :1prop: Must try the beef bit in the leases up here!! I usually target flatties & blackies, but wouldn't turn my nose up at a bream, either!

Cheers

Roberta

I was thinking like Wildfish about your lip adornment, too!! A hook would look a hoot!!!

Yep land based this time, I didnt have time to get the yak out on sunday, it was a bit windy anyway. I usually trim off the fat, I find (the bream at least) much prefer the red meat, but Id say theyre a bit more fussy than a flathead. I caught my 1st legal snapper from there too on the beef (only35cm but hey its a start), also flathead, sweep and red rock cod

Thanks for the kind words Raiders!

Edited by yakfishing

Whoa look at the mouth on that sucker ! Nice fish. :1prop: Suprised that the bream went for the beef

It is quite snaggy at that spot isn't it. Were you using a float ?

No float. There are some snags closer in, so I dont muck around getting the fish in. Ive lost some fish in the snags before :angry2: and plenty of hooks line and sinkers. Usually its just because I'm fishing light and the current brings it in. The current can be real strong there sometimes.

Edited by yakfishing

Hi Yakfishing

I reckon you'd have some fun in your yak around the pylons of the old coal loading wharves there!! (if you are allowed to get close!) Should be some good blackies there too. I used to work for Coal & Allied in the 80s & actually fished from the wharf once .... just as well I didn't catch anything, as it was about a 60ft drop to the water from the wharf!!

Isn't the area supposed to be opened to the public some time soon?

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Yeah Ive thought about doing that, I dont think anyone cares if you're around the old wharf in a boat. I'm not sure if they are going to open up the wharf to the public it looks pretty old and rickety to me, but Ill find out. The other thing I wanted to try was these moring stations just over the water towards Balmain. theres maybe 10 of them it looks promising. I havent taken the yak out fishing in the harbour at all yet I tend to take her to Botany or Narrabeen, purely because I prefer to eat my catch and Im not fond of dioxins in my fish.