Sydney Harbour - Sunday 11/11

daleyboy

Headed out yesterday morning at 5am hoping for a nice relaxing day of berley and bait fishing.

Did the usual squid hunt on me way out to the heads for no luck and also no luck when trolling a couple of lures along south head.

Same result again when i drifted and dropped a few pilly baits in about 20-25m of water off sth head.

Headed back inside with the aim of anchoring near sow and pigs and getting a good berley trail going with a few baits out ... that plan was great ... until i realised that the U bolt connecting my anchor rope and chain had come undone .. of course i only realized this as the anchor disappeard under water ... so much for the plans!!!

Decided to head into rose bay and do a bit of drift .. managed 1 just legal flatty which was returned.

Headed into a bay in Cremorne and tied up to an empty mooring. First cast i launch a 5" mullet coloured gulp shad toward the shore then go about sending out 2 other rods with bait. Get them done, pick up the first rod with the gulp .. and im on .. i quickly call it as a flattie (typical head shakes) but then half way in the thing starts going berko .. i started thinking maybe it was a bream .. then it gets to the surface and its still going mental .. but at about 35cm the 10lb braid was never really in trouble. I decide i wouldnt mind some flatty fillets for dinner so he goes in the esky.

I cast the gulp out to the same area and and let it sit while i checked the other rods again ... once again i go back to the rod with the gulp and as soon as i pick it up ... im on again ... once again i fel the flatty headshakes .. and once again the thing start going berserk about half way in .. get it to the surface and the little bugger actually launched itself in to the air going mental with head shakes ... anyone ever seen a flatty do that b4??? anyway i boated him at just under 40cm and into the esky he went.

No more flatties after that but i think i have an idea why the flatties were going berko .. hooked onto a miniscule snapper (so small didnt know id hooked him) and as i was pulling him i saw a big brown shadow following him .. didnt get a clear look .. but it looked like a mega sized flattie .. so possibly it was following the other two id caught.

All in all not that bad a day thanks to the flatties :1fishing1:

Edited by daleyboy

i quickly call it as a flattie (typical head shakes) but then half way in the thing starts going berko .. i started thinking maybe it was a bream .. then it gets to the surface and its still going mental .. but at about 35cm the 10lb braid was never really in trouble. I decide i wouldnt mind some flatty fillets for dinner so he goes in the esky.

yum flatties !!

FYI I think the min size for a flatty (dusky) is 36 cm .. if that was indeed what went in the esky ... if that was a bream .. that is massive ! :thumbup:

Hey Daleyboy,

I've seen it happen a few times before on Worrell Creek (offshoot of the Nambucca River) in mid autumn when the water's nice and warm - at least 23.5, better around 25. Always happens to me on 3 - 4" pumpkinseed flick baits, and no other lure! Never on bait.

Always happens on the flats where the water's no deeper than 1m.

I've had around five 45 - 50 cm models get up and tail walk like a bloody marlin! These things go psycho :tease:

Blew me away the first time it happened, now I look forward to it. Awesome when it happens. Who ever said flatties were lazy buggers?? :074:

Qwyjibo

Always happens on the flats where the water's no deeper than 1m.

Which is pretty much what i got em in .. and the water was about 21.5c if i recall

And yes stylo i was a bad boy :mad3: .. i thought the limit was 33cm for duskys .. i now know better .. its the sand flatties which are 33