Downriggers

sparkles

Lads,

I just bought a new scotty on the weekend.

It has about a 1and 1/2 boom, but I completely forgot about a hand rail that runns up the back of the transom and 3 feet from the stern of the boat on both sides.

I am just thinking of putting it diagonally out the back, or even straight out the back.

otherwise I need to mount it on something over a few inches high to get it over the hand rail and off to the side.

Anybody got a suggestion as to the pro's and cons of mounting it. I'm nervous about going out the back.

it's a stacer 525 2005 model.

I'll do a search on the site, but just wanted to her some fresh feedback.

sparkles

hi mate

i would not go straight out the back

out the side on the angle is ok i have fitted one like that to my mates boat

as he had the same prob you face

it works fine have not had any problem with the rigger

cheer

miller

hi mate

i would not go straight out the back

out the side on the angle is ok i have fitted one like that to my mates boat

as he had the same prob you face

it works fine have not had any problem with the rigger

cheer

miller

cheers Miller.

what is the prob with going straight out the back? other than the obvious closness to the prop.

arch

Sammy0884 had an excellent idea for his as he faced the same problem and it worked well, caught plenty of fish.

I suggest you tackle the problem... either purchase the scotty swivel mount to get a bit more height to get over the rail or try elevating it by purchasing one of those cheap poly chopping boards and cutting out a square (or 2 depending on the height you need) to fit snugly under the downrigger which will not only give you the height you need but will also absorb any shock from the vibration of the downrigger on your hull and bolts, a cheap and possibly more effective alternative!!!

cheers

CFD

Good idea Chris.....cheap alternative

CFD That's a top idea Sammy came up with. Those cheap baitboards already have a gimbal mount and a plastic lockdown insert and are adjustable for the angle as well. Could probably glue the cut to size chopping board pieces together like a three layer ply to obtain extra strength.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

precisely jewgaffer...

sparkles, if you choose to go with this option dont forget that the extra height may require longer bolts than the ones provided... dont want to see you go to work fitting it the night before an exciting trip to realise the bolts no longer reach into the gunnel with no bunnings open to supply you :thumbdown:

CFD

Chris.....have seen it done similar that way before although the hieght was 100mm

to get over there rail......

it was done via stainless bolts as you say with aluminium tube slid over the bolt

and rubber grommets top and bottom to absorb vibration (much like an oil well at sea)

was solid there was no danger of anything going overboard....

i think then the downrigger then slid and fitted into the swivel mount ....

hope that makes sense sparkles and not to vague.........

warnie.......

hi sparkles,

i used those cheap chopping boards from $2 shop and cost all of $6.. i made a backing plate (very very very important) for under gunnel's/back deck etc... i also needed to raise mine slightly as i had ridges on the back of my deck so the scotty would not have been flat if you know what i mean... took all of 5 min to cut up and drill to size... and all for $6 buck :biggrin2: ..... cheers ... steve...

Lads,

Thanks very much for all the advice, and I will follow it.

I was thinking of putting it in front of the Hand rail, closer to the drivers seat. There is room, and won't clutter the back of the boat.

Easy for the driver to winch it up if someone is on at the back. and not be in the way.

But as usual, the raider team has come through with all relevant info.

And NETIC, during my research I got to have another look at those three vids you had downrigging around the yellow marker in botany bay. Really got the juices flowing.

Thanks again everyone.

Arch

If you mount it closer to the front of the boat you will have a greater chance of getting it caught in the prop in a sharp turn if it is shallow. Keep it as close to back of boat as possible and angled to the side as much as possible away from the motor. Commercial kitchen shops have UV protected boards but they are a few more dollars but won't crack 4 years down the track. Some cheaper ones are as well and there is no way I know to tell so a bit of pot luck.

Edited by pelican

And NETIC, during my research I got to have another look at those three vids you had downrigging around the yellow marker in botany bay. Really got the juices flowing.

Mate in those videos you can see how i have set up my downriggers...that is by far the best way to set them up....riggers facing out horizontal at the back and a rod holder about 50cm further up.

My set up has changed a bit since then as i have changed my riggers but it is the best way

CFD That's a top idea Sammy came up with. Those cheap baitboards already have a gimbal mount and a plastic lockdown insert and are adjustable for the angle as well. Could probably glue the cut to size chopping board pieces together like a three layer ply to obtain extra strength.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

You can all thank me later....

:1prop: