Boat Ramp At Nambucca River?

shan777

Just wondering if by chance if any of you knew if there is a boat ramp of sorts at Nambucca River?

I'm staying at the lovely Scott's Head, wanting to get into some of the fishing on the river, but don't want to have to boat all the way up warrell creek to get to the river, figured i'll just head back into Macksville and around that way.

Anyone's expertise would be greatly appreciated, Shan

Just wondering if by chance if any of you knew if there is a boat ramp of sorts at Nambucca River?

I'm staying at the lovely Scott's Head, wanting to get into some of the fishing on the river, but don't want to have to boat all the way up warrell creek to get to the river, figured i'll just head back into Macksville and around that way.

Anyone's expertise would be greatly appreciated, Shan

Hi Shan,

According to my book there are three ramps in Macksville. All suitable for boats up to 5.5m and all of average quality.

The better two are listed as "east side of road bridge (300-400m) on the south bank. Ramp = Fair, Parking = Poor, Concrete 1 lane.

"West of road bridge (50m) on north bank. Ramp = Fair, Parking = Good, Gravel 1 lane.

Hope that helps.

Reefhunter

Edited by Reefhunter

Hi Shan,

Was up that way last year, fishing the river.

Iceman's right, there is a ramp behind the RSL with parking.

There is also a smaller ramp closer to the breakwall, and a third at the golf club on the way in to Nambucca Heads. Locals say there has been some theiving around that ramp.

Warrell Creek is not navigable all the way to Scotts Head, though nearly.

Can't recall seeing a ramp at Macksville though I'm sure there must be one. There is a public pontoon at the pub. Very handy! :beersmile:

The floating oyster leases on the way down to Nambucca are worth fishing, they hold some thumper bream.

Cheers,

Rick

G'day,

I was surprised last time i stayed in Nambucca how average the boating ramps were.

In summer it must be hard to launch and park.

My mate launches from the beach at Bilby with a tractor.

I am going up there at the end of november to stay in a friends place on the beach. Im gonna leave the boat at home and beach fish for a jew instead.

Be careful boating up there as some pretty dangerous water around the breakwall and trying to get out to sea. Water moves real fast.

I didnt catch much last time up there but did get one good hit and miss off the beach

Cheers.

Shan,

I holiday there every year. The Golf club ramp's the best - runs down into a deep water creek (even on dead low tide) that joins the main river, so you never have to fight the wind or current when you're launching/retrieving. There's a beach either side too, which is convenient. There's no beach at the RSL ramp. Much easier to bang up your boat there :thumbdown:

Never had a problem with theft there. Just don't leave valuables in the car.

Best flattie fishing in the state!

Qwyjibo

Staying at scotts ,well your on the doorstep of some of the best rockfishing available up that way.I've lived in

Bucca all my life apart from the last couple where i moved to sydney. I would take a tinny to the ramp at the right of the Golf course just before the bridge that leads into the carpark.Before this call in to the tackle shop at the bottom of the Nambucca RSL carpark and pick up map of tha local area ,this will help you out to no ends .and then drift the end of the wall that is the riverside of the golf course .deepwater and plenty of eddies then from there go towards macksville a couple of mile to a big righthand bend. (flathead country everywhere ).And if all else fails try a couple of SP's off the V Wall itself as recent reports from my 13yr brother tells me there plenty about . Im going up there for 3 wks over Chrissy and ill be putting in at Shelley

beach and going about 3km straight out and getting parrotfish,pearlies,snapper and ive had 2 big spaniards

come right up to the transom and look at us.38 to 45 m. One of my favorite GPS spots is named SAMBO CITY so no guessing why.Hope you enjoy your trip.

Craig.

I head up there the last two weeks of January every year.

Boat ramps at RSL and Golf Course are the best....

Or there are bass west of the pacific hyway bridge you pass under just as you pull off the highway as you rap back around to head into Scotts, from memory a ramp there too.

I'd have to a agree with the call of Nambucca being 'Flathead Central'....This year I'm also plnanning on hamering the whitting on poppers in the past have have plenty 40cm plus up on soldiercrabs and nippers up there....not to mention the bream....dam i love that place....

Frantic - do you think Sambo City is also known as Sambo Grounds on the standard off shore GPS maps...and aint it great the Sambo means Sampson not Salmon on this occasion....

I wouldn't go near that bar in a bloody pilot boat. No unless you're planning on a swim. And the greay coats are reasonably prolific out there too. :thumbdown:

From about now on the bluenose whiting come on. Try lightly weighted nippers with a couple of red beads over a red long shanked hook, down on the last sweeping bend before the main river reached the V wall (below the entrance to Warrell Ck). You can't go wrong :thumbup: Even if you miss them, there's always a few thumper flatties willing to take a nipper.

Qwyjibo

Been over the Bar a couple of times with a pro fisho a couple yrs back ,I tell ya what its hairaising stuff

the actual channel there changes all the time and at one point at the end at low tide you could stand on sand

below the wall .We had about 14 inches of rain not that long ago so it washed most of it out.BUT unless your

boats about 7m i wouldnt even attempt it .Boats get turned over there on a regular occurance and most of them are pro's with 5 to 20yrs exp on that bar.Its much easier to either travel to coffs or if its a smallish

boat launch at shelley or scotts hd both being beach.

As well as jacks there are also some big trevally up the river to about 6kg this time of the year till jan.

Craig.

Wow guys, thanks for all the info, looking forward to gettin into those flattie................. and bream............... and whiting............... and everything else!!! :074:

Will get right into all your details and tips, refer it to my hooked in paradise book, with all the satellite shots and area names, and give it a red hot go!!!!

Thanks once again everyone, Shan