Forster Fishing Sat/sun 17/18 Nov

arpie

Hi guys

Took the yak out on Saturday afternoon on a rising tide. The wind was really blustery, so very annoying & there was a lot of weed floating in the water, making it a pain to throw hb lures!!!

I had 'doctored' some trebles and made them into singles & tossed them around for 2 small throwback bream (on the flesh coloured Raw Prawn.) No damage to the fish! I could get into the leases & toss between the leases for less weed (the washboards keep most of it out!)

Spotted some blackies in the one spot that was protected from the wind, so tried there - plenty of 'downs' but I suspect they were tiny & one hookup - a throwback!

Went over to Tuncurry this morning whilst Keith ran 9 Mile Beach & fished off the jetty. I tossed some bread around for some mullet & hooked 5, landed 3, to 35cm! Quite large, really & put up a good fight. Gave one to 2 blokes using bait next to me who weren't catching, and took 2 home for my next worming/bait fishing venture!

Nicer out fishing this morning, as it was before the wind came up. As we speak, it has picked up again.

About 50 boats have been moored in front of & around Hayden Island over the last few days (the sand island on the lake side of the bridge) fishing for whiting. I think they are trumpeter whiting, not sand whiting. So much smaller. Almost one bite per fillet!

They have been bagging out quite quicky! Someone had spread a rumour that the new limits were for 20 fish in total for the boat (not per angler, as I understand it to be ..... please correct me if I am wrong) so many were taking their catch back to shore & off-loading it before going out again!

I am meeting up with an old squash buddy on Thurs to wet a line - he is in his early 80's and still into blackies and still plays competitive squash!! Amazing guy! I used to train with him back in the 80's! He was 'written up' in the Northside Courier back in July - going to Fiji to compete in a tournament there! Hope we can hook up one or two - the water is still a bit dirty on the out tide, after all the rain!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta do you know much about these trumpeter whiting? By the way you are talking I don't think they are just striped trumpeters ?

We can use what they call trawl whiting legally up north as live bait for trevally. There's a size limit on the size of sand whiting used as live bait though.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewgaffer

Here is the official description for them

http://www.amonline.net.au/FISHES/fishfact...h/smaculata.htm

We also get Red Spot whiting (also known as School Whiting) up here, which are even smaller - sometimes people buy the fillets & use them as bait - as they are the perfect size for flatties, bream & jew - & someone else does all the work filleting them! If you are eating them you'd need the 20 for one person's meal!

Roberta

Hi Marty

Given the amount of weed floating, I think it did work better than the treble, in not picking up as much weed! Having said that, it would have been wonderful to have had no weed at all!! :1prop:

I'll keep trying every time I go out, with various models of hb! I am still a learner on the hb front!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Jewgaffer

Here is the official description for them

http://www.amonline.net.au/FISHES/fishfact...h/smaculata.htm

We also get Red Spot whiting (also known as School Whiting) up here, which are even smaller - sometimes people buy the fillets & use them as bait - as they are the perfect size for flatties, bream & jew - & someone else does all the work filleting them! If you are eating them you'd need the 20 for one person's meal!

Roberta

roberta, don't tell me you are encouraging people to use those delicious morsels as bait?? :1prop:

the co-op up there does the best redspot whiting and chips in the world (my world at least haha)....

you are right though i could eat a stack of them... top thinkin on the singles on the hardbody..

ian

Hi Ian

I must admit, whiting isn't my favourite eating fish ..... so I'd have no probs using them as bait!

I hope they give you heaps of fillets with the chips, or it could be 'spot the fillets' instead or 'red spot fillets! :1prop:

I suppose they would be good for 'finger food' nibbles :biggrin2:

Roberta

Sounds like a great little session Roberta. Seems like the lake is starting to really fire up.

BTW I attempted to use those mullet floats the other day and technically had no probs with em...the only thing I seemed to catch were little bream. I think it was the area I was in, but the floats went well.

GREAT INVENTION!

Cheers

Charmo