3 Nice Blackies To 41cm

arpie

Hi guys

I took the yak out today in a bit of a blow, to see if I could find some blackies around the lease washboards. The good news is .... YES! :thumbup::yahoo: They are still there!!!

I got there just before the turn of the tide & was a bit disappointed to find that one of my 'spots' was no longer available!! I used to be able to slip thru the poles in my yak to fish the interior of the lease, but a pole had been knocked down (probably by a boat mooring to it) and the oyster guys had boarded it up with a plank, even making it impossible for me to get in! :mad3: Nothing happened until the tide started going out.

Then I put out a bit of weed that I had collected from the washboard & had 2 good hits - missed the first, dropped the 2nd (it partially straightened the hook :wacko: ) and then finally boated the 3rd!! A nice fat 41cm! That is a PB for me in my yak! He had a preference for cabbage tho - so I stuck with cabbage after that.

My Black queen really did me proud today! It was being bent almost double as they tried to skunk me on the washboard, but I had the drag done up tight & managed to steer them into the net .... eventually! I had to replace the handle on the net recently & put a shorter one on - boy, did it make it more difficult to land those pesky blackies!! I must extend it again to a more manageable length!

Over the next hour, I boated 2 more blackies to 35cm, after missing a few other hits as well. :( All up, I was very happy to head home with 3 nice fish!!

The wind made it a bit difficult to manouver around the leases at times - especially when heading for home! You could see all the blackies scooting for cover as I paddled past the washboards - ducking into the leases to get out of the way!

A fun day on the water :1fishing1:

Cheers for now

Roberta

Good one Roberta. Looks as if the Blackfish are getting to know you. Great to see you amongst them again. They will take up plenty of room in the pan.

Cheers BART :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

Hmmmmm, may just have to head out again today - nice high tide, not windy (just now) & I have already voted!!! :1prop: I just normally don't go on weekends because of all the boats out & about! Just looked at the BOM - could get wet tho! Aaaah, the fish are already wet ...

May take my flattie gear as well!

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hmmmmm, may just have to head out again today - nice high tide, not windy (just now) & I have already voted!!! :1prop: I just normally don't go on weekends because of all the boats out & about! Just looked at the BOM - could get wet tho! Aaaah, the fish are already wet ...

May take my flattie gear as well!

Roberta

thats exactly what i was thinkin roberta... decisions

Great minds think alike, FF - I did go out but with mixed results - busted off by 3 nice ones, miss a couple & dropped a few, for one to take home!! Beautiful morning & I fished an area today that I normally just paddle straight past!! On the rising tide, it gave me 2 of the bust offs & & at least 2 of the 'got offs"!! So I'll be trying that spot again on the rising tide! :1prop:

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Russ

I usually either anchor or tie off to the washboards or poles. My anchor setup allows me to put the yak at any anlge, with the anchor anywhere from the front to the back & in between! Really essential to have a good anchor system

The one or 2 times I have been 'unattached' when I caught a big blackie, I got towed back to the washboard & busted off anyway, so figured I may as well stay in the one spot & tighten the drag & just brawl with them. Also - nothing worse than being on a good fish when drifting & heading for either dangerous or snaggy territory! Better to fish the areas you know better than come upon an unexpected one!

I also have a rope with a strong wire hook on it & I wrap it around poles or anything else that will 'secure me' once I have found my fishing spot! You can never have too many ropes for securing!

Here is the type of area that I was fishing - just right at high tide, but not much water at low tide!! I run the float along the washboards (away from the yak) on the in tide.

post-2231-1195954567_thumb.jpg In both photos, you can see why it is so easy to get skunked by the washboards! They wrap you around one of those poles in quick as time! But, that is where the big fish hang out!

I was fishing further out from this one in deeper water, to the left and getting good hits. Usually I'd run the float along the fence on the out tide. This one stays deeper all the time.

post-2231-1195954767_thumb.jpg

Fun areas to fish, so long as speed boats don't go hooning past! It is a bumpy ride when they do!

Cheers

Roberta

Good stuff Roberta... Just wondering if you do any off shore fishing there at Forster-Tuncurry? and if so could you give me a general report of what is the go at the moment offshore. I used to live in Forster-Tuncurry in my teens and used to go offshore there with my father every now and again. we will be going there early in January, and hopefully get onto some nice snaper and flathead.. I miss fishing there... alot better fishing there than Sydney.

Hi Bucko and :1welcomeani: to Fishraider!!

I have only fished outside a few times - but my neighbour goes out often & gets into top fish! The Marine Park has isolated the most popular reef in the area, The Pinnacle, much to the annoyance of local fishos.

There is a big flattie ground about 15mins straight out from the breakwall entrance that usually produces. I reckon the area off Pebbly Beach (the area from the swimming pool to the lookout at the top of Head St) would be a great area to fish. Troll around the headland to One mile - usually get bonito & other pelagics.

I bet you're looking forward to getting back up here to fish!!! Good luck!

Roberta