Old Avon Royal Blackie Reel

arpie

Hi guys

Has anyone ever replaced the handles on an old Avon Royal blackie reel? I am replacing all the bindings on my other old buddy's blackie rod - and the reel handles are 'missing in action'! The top of the metal rod that they used to sit on has worn off completely & there is no thread or anything to put a screw in to hold the next handle! I have found a replacement for the handles, and now it is just a matter of helping them to stay on!!

They are in a pretty bad way :( ... but I don't want to do anything big like drilling them out, as it is not my reel!!

post-2231-1196216343_thumb.jpg post-2231-1196216371_thumb.jpg

All suggestions gratefully received :biggrin2:

Cheerio

Roberta

I guess I could have a go with some of those epoxy clays & try to put a knob on top of them! There should be just enough 'rough stuff' for it to adhere to.

Edited by Roberta

hi roberta

divey [lindsey]fixed 2 new handles on my avon with the help of an enirneering mate of his

ithink they drilled the old threaded bushes out and put in new ones they machined the new bits

out of stainless steel

dont think epoxy strong enough but worth a try if that fails ask a engineer for help maybe welding a new bush on hope this helps

peter :1fishing1:

Many thanks for that Peter - Keith had thought of cutting the stumps off & drilling a hole thru both sides of the spool & putting a bolt (thin headed so it fitted between the reel base ok) & then using the nut to hold the handle on!! If it was mine, perhaps I would have, but I will probably try the putty first & suggest to Kerry that he look at that as an option! I will contact Divey for the name of his engineer, so Kerry can make contact, if he wants to go down that path!!

Cheerio

Roberta

I agree with Peter. The old stupme need to be removen and new ones welded on. It is worth doing right! Fnd a good metalworker or fitter and turner. I know Royce (Luderick Angler) has a similar problem on some vintage reels he has. :thumbup:

Edited by Ceph

yea i know royce had a metalworker help him on a couple ( that i know of ) of his reels and he couldnt stress anymore that its well worth getting a GOOD tradesman as it could mean the end for a great reel im going through some problematic stages with an old 4 inch speedia at the moment im just contemplating if its worth spending an extra few dollars to track down another...

Hi Roberta,

I had the handles replaced on my Avon Royal II. Unfortunately, that was about 30 years ago at Bob Niven's in Campbell Street near Central Railway in Sydney, which moved on a long, long time ago.

As you observed, the problem with a lot of the pommie centre pin reels we used to use for luderick fishing was that they were made for freshwater "course" fishing, and didn't respond well to being drenched in salt spray every second weekend.

A good engineer should be able to drill out the old handle spindles and replace with new. There are still centre pins made in the UK and, I'm told, the equipment used to make the Avons was eventually shipped off to the Far-East somewhere and is now used to make the Shakespeare centre-pin reels available in some tackle shops. So it's highly likely that replacement spindles, handles and screws can be easily sourced.

On the other hand, it might be be more cost effective to buy a new reel. Doubt whether it would have the character of an Avon Royal though. I'm unlikely to part with mine (at least not while I still draw breath).

Regards,

Bob

Thanks for that Bob - I did a very basic araldite repair ..... just so Kerry gets a functioning reel back! The photos show a pointy bit on both stumps - I just put the replacement handles on & wound araldited braid around & around & around till it built up an edge that was wider than the handles & left it to set! So far, so good! It won't last 40 years, but should last a few, I reckon. THen, if Kerry wants to go down the Engineering road, he can.

Cheerio

Roberta

• 16 years later...