Car Gps Systems

bullfrog

Am thinking of buying a GPS system for the car and am wondering if they would also be suitable for boating - ie, do the maps provided with the systems include such things as boat ramps and channel markers?

Also, can you add waypoints to them and keep a log of where you have travelled? The one I am thinking of is powered by whereis, so if anyone has had success using one in a marine application I'd be interested to know.

Am thinking of buying a GPS system for the car and am wondering if they would also be suitable for boating - ie, do the maps provided with the systems include such things as boat ramps and channel markers?

Also, can you add waypoints to them and keep a log of where you have travelled? The one I am thinking of is powered by whereis, so if anyone has had success using one in a marine application I'd be interested to know.

My car one is getting on but would think it would be pretty useless on the water, no chanel markers etc, can not ad way points either. Magellan do a unit that can take road, marine and hiking maps, might be called a crossover or something. Probaly worth more than a cheap car and marine plotter together, so may as well go that way, marine plotters are getting very cheap.

Garmin had one that ws originally a boat one that they then added voice to for on the road and particularly motorbikes as it is waterproof. It's screen wasn't that big but I think it has been updted as it is now full colour.

Can't remember name but I see they are promoting another one a gpsmap276c

It is the only one I know that you can buy with a marine and road map in one package and therefore have it as a tax deduction for work as it comes in one box complete (check with your accountant). It works out a lot cheaper than buying the marine map seperately. Was $1700 6 months ago. called city and sun package

with both maps and a seond holder from memory. Uses blue charts

No it doesn't give voice directions on the water like it does on the road. "turn left spot X 100m - depth 20m 40kg king waiting."

Any combined unit will be acompromise but this was the best I could find and it was too expensive for what I wanted even after tax deduction from tax man.

Edited by pelican

No it doesn't give voice directions on the water like it does on the road. "turn left spot X 100m - depth 20m 40kg king waiting."

That's why I decided on shopping OS and buying a PDA with GPS.

A PDA with GPS to me is so much more versatile than a normal incar GPS thingy.

On my PDA I'm using TomTom for the roads and OziCE for offroad.

Have played around with OziCE on the water and does the job nicely, not that I bother too much with it as I also have a chartplotter in the boat. Don't need a case of technology overload. :wacko:

Basically, as long as you have a scaled map OziCE will do most things you want. Especially offroad.

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky.

Damn I was looking for one that has just that function.

Dave I thought you could already buy one like that. Just have to wait a couple of months for a new model to be able to hone right in on a 40lb kingfish and use the latest remote control head pestering lure.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: