Kingies On Sp's

Ads

Hi All,

Following some moderate sucsess bottom bouncing the inshore reefs over the last couple of weeke ends i thought i would try throwing some sp's around some rocky headlands and bombies in the hope of hooking some kingies.

Having not tried this method before i was hoping to get some advise on locating some fish and tecniques on working the sp's from some of the more experienced Fishraiders out there!!!!!!!!!!

By he way i will be fishing out of a 4.5 metre tinny anywhere between Bateau Bay and Avoca.

Any advice would be appreciated

Hi All,

Following some moderate sucsess bottom bouncing the inshore reefs over the last couple of weeke ends i thought i would try throwing some sp's around some rocky headlands and bombies in the hope of hooking some kingies.

Having not tried this method before i was hoping to get some advise on locating some fish and tecniques on working the sp's from some of the more experienced Fishraiders out there!!!!!!!!!!

By he way i will be fishing out of a 4.5 metre tinny anywhere between Bateau Bay and Avoca.

Any advice would be appreciated

Look for 1) birds 2) bait 3) structure

If you can see the kings on the surface fish your sp's weightless, try ripping them in with occasional pauses.. or let it sit (count to 25) and twitch it back to the boat slowly with occasional medium turns of speed.

if you have the bait on the sounder, or getting choppers on top - rig your sp with a jig head(enough weight to suit the current and size of sp - no need to over do it) and get your placcie in the bottom 3rd of the water column. rip it in with large rod movements for the first half then twitch it back. Or twitch it off the bottom.

Dont be scared of making lots of noise. and if you get them following your lure - rip it back at top speed to turn them on - if no takes, plug away with fast retrieves + occasional pauses.

Don't spend too long in one spot, and likewise if you have hooked up in a possi and find that there is no more bites in 15 mins - move along - it might be hard to do: but thats kingys for ya!

Good luck - let me know how you get on.

Steve.

Hmmm, I will be doing much the same Ads. I have been slogging the offshore grounds for a few years now, and on Monday we have Builders Picnic Day on the Harbour, so it will be nice to get back to the inshore areas. I have loaded myself up with a heap of SP's and Jig Heads and hope to entice a few Kings around the various Marker Buoys. I think as Skunga said, teh biggest thing is variety- not so much in what type of SP you are fishing, but i your applied technique- It must be changed to suit th cionditions and the feeding mood of the inteded species. Let us know how you go, and I will let you know too.

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks for all the great tips guys............hopefully have a report for you on monday