Scaling Fish

Red

G'day Raiders, i'm interested in simple yet effective ways of scaling fish without a knife or scaler.

I've been told of two methods but yet to try them. Would like to hear of your experiences in scaling fish the lazy way :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Caine, i don't want to fillet these fish and don't want to take the skin off.

I have used a spade on big jewfish and that saved a stack of elbow grease and time :thumbup: Will never use a scaler on jewfish again :biggrin2:

Any other methods? I'm keen on a better alternative for smaller fish like reds, bream etc

Cheers

Red

Edited by Red

Hi Red

Believe it or not, this method has been around for years - I think Jarvis Walker or some other tackle manufacturer used to sell them thru a popular supermarket with a W in it .... not for jewies tho - good for whiting & bream

There is another method that doesn't use knives or scalers, but you do need a boat ..... and need to be able to get it sort of onto half-plane on the way back (not too fast or it can tear the fish apart.) You use 2 bags - a 'fine net' bag that you put the fish in & tie off, then you put that bag into a coarser grained bag (eg strong keeper net ..... don't use onion bags, they are not strong enough!) Attach this to the left or right rear bollard on the boat so that it is about 10ft behind the boat. Slowly start up the boat & go just fast enough (about 10 knots.... medium jogging pace) so that the bag begins to bounce on the surface of the wake. After about4-5 mins, all the fish should be scaled! Pull the bag in resume your journey home! Also good for cleaning the skin off squid!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Roberta/Dave, thanks for your input. Has anyone tried scaling fish with a garden hose?

I was told if you hit the scales with pressure, working from the tail to the head, the scales simply fly off. I'm not exactly keen an a lawn full of scales though.

Might give it a try one day and if it works as good as they say, it might be worth looking at installing a high volume pump in the boat and scaling them at sea. Worst thing about catching fish is cleaning them i reckon. :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Hmmmm - using a hose to scale a fish - could be a bit of a waste of water, don't you think? Similar action to the bag in the wake, really. If using a pressure cleaner, you'd be tenderising it as well, I reckon!! :(

Roberta

Roberta/Dave, thanks for your input. Has anyone tried scaling fish with a garden hose?

I was told if you hit the scales with pressure, working from the tail to the head, the scales simply fly off. I'm not exactly keen an a lawn full of scales though.

Cheers

Red

In my humble opinion the biggest enemy of freshly caught SALTWATER fish is FRESHWATER!!!!

I don't know? the flesh just tastes "FRESHER ", and seems to last longer if frozen when

freshwater is left out of the equasion.

If you have a boat Roberta's scaler bag is a better idea but can bruise the flesh a little.

There are so many different sized scales on a well eating fish that you really nead different

techniques for different fish.

Catch Ya

Bigfoot

Edited by Bigfoot

I can't see a drama with scaling any fish Red. Just buy a shiny brand new scaler for the lady of the house and a brand new fancy sink plug, they cost peanuts.

Try it out Ange, they love a bit of kind attention mate.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

In my humble opinion the biggest enemy of freshly caught SALTWATER fish is FRESHWATER!!!!

I don't know? the flesh just tastes "FRESHER ", and seems to last longer if frozen when

freshwater is left out of the equasion.

If you have a boat Roberta's scaler bag is a better idea but can bruise the flesh a little.

There are so many different sized scales on a well eating fish that you really nead different

techniques for different fish.

Catch Ya

Bigfoot

not just in your opinion bigfoot....

that is fact....

as for using a hose or pressure hose??? as big foot has said freshwater ruins saltwater fish and vice versa

its called osmosis...ie if you put a saltwater fish in freshwater, the water has a tendency to try and balance out the substance in the water (ie salt) so the fish absorbs water... look here if you want http://www.purchon.com/biology/osmosis.htm

i use the back of my filleting knife and that works better than any scaler, scaling is quick as anyway..

for large scaled fish like jews or groper, we tent peg the fish to the ground and use a shovel

ian

I can't see a drama with scaling any fish Red.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jewgaffer, there's no real drama at all, just looking for a better alternative if its out there. Its just that after washing the tackle and the boat, i can't be stuffed cleaning the fish....i'm sure i speak for many others here. You just want to sit in the shade with a cold refreshment. Unfortunately you couldn't pay my wife :wife: enough money to clean fish....that sort of stuff is beneath her :1prop: Someone forgot to tell me that she was related to the Royals :074:

Anyhow i don't think osmosis will be a problem as the flesh wouldn't be exposed to water, just the skin. Looks like the only option is to bribe the kids when they are old enough to use a knife :1prop: or just tag and release everything :thumbup:

Cheers

Red