Id Of Possible Fish

Simonator

Obviously I didn't catch this rotten thing but I want to so hence the questions.,

I was fighgin down at the end of Old Ferry Road opposite Lugarno on Saturday. I was about 100 metres from the loading ramp on the ramins of the old wharf there.

I was using whole prawn for bait targeting some large Bream. Now I know bream bites and this wasn't it.

Was a single powerful hit, followed by a fast swim down into the snags on the bottom, or perhaps even into the rocks. I could feel the fish swimming hard then the line would snag up.

I don't think it's a flattie because if it is it's a monster, it felt really hard and strong.

Any ideas? I have caught a tailor here before but it just zoomed off and didn't swim for the bottom, likewaise Bream. Even the flatties I catch don't do it. Anything else it might be and some advice on how to stop it happening/catch it?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Simon

btw I am using a light 6 ft rod with 8 pouind mono for the trace, a running sinker above a swivel and a long shanked hook.

Obviously I didn't catch this rotten thing but I want to so hence the questions.,

I was fighgin down at the end of Old Ferry Road opposite Lugarno on Saturday. I was about 100 metres from the loading ramp on the ramins of the old wharf there.

I was using whole prawn for bait targeting some large Bream. Now I know bream bites and this wasn't it.

Was a single powerful hit, followed by a fast swim down into the snags on the bottom, or perhaps even into the rocks. I could feel the fish swimming hard then the line would snag up.

I don't think it's a flattie because if it is it's a monster, it felt really hard and strong.

Any ideas? I have caught a tailor here before but it just zoomed off and didn't swim for the bottom, likewaise Bream. Even the flatties I catch don't do it. Anything else it might be and some advice on how to stop it happening/catch it?

Simon

btw I am using a light 6 ft rod with 8 pouind mono for the trace, a running sinker above a swivel and a long shanked hook.

I'm not an expert at the identification, but sounds like a jew even. Sounds as though they've been around a lot lately and they seem to just take it and go...

I was fighgin down at the end of Old Ferry Road opposite Lugarno on Saturday. I was about 100 metres from the loading ramp on the ramins of the old wharf ........it felt really hard and strong........it just zoomed off and didn't swim for the bottom, likewaise Bream. Even the flatties I catch don't do it. Anything else it might be and some advice on how to stop it happening/catch it?

Simon

Simon you are in good jew, bream and flathead territory up there at Menai and you were on the best side of the wind/current equation on Saturday, the downwind side.

In the Georges, the Lugarno Menai section is a relatively narrow corridor for up and down river movement according to tide etc. This time of year you can get some pretty big visitors up there.

I agree With Amateur Dave, the strength of the run, the fact that the run started off long and high and then the dive to the bottom and all things considered in your post, it definately sounds like it was a jewfish.

It would be far better to fish bigger baits in that area and up the power of the tackle and use braid, as it is not what you would call a snag area, and you wouldn't have a problem if you use longer and stronger rods to hold the jew up high. You'll find the jew will tire real quick and they tend to stay up having lost the diving power and big jew are easy to guide on the right gear.

You could use strong 3/0 hooks and and I cannot see any problems using that size for the bi catch.

Hope this helps you Simon.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

i agree with jewgaffer,

nice tips there mate......

was the run long? or fast?? or both...

flathead can swim bloody fast and hard, but only for short distances... like 20 metres , but if it was a long first run i would bet jew (or stingray lol)...

It wasn't a flattie, it was a good solid hit then a dash for the bottom or a rock, really could feel the tail going.

Thanks for all the tips, would anyone suggest possibly a heavy handline under a float?

Simon