Jig Head Questions

Davemmm

Having only really hit the sp trail in the last six months or so I am a bit confused.

Every report says to fish with the lightest jig head possible. This much makes sense, it's the same when bait fishing - smallest sinker works best.

The question is why are hooks matched to jig heads by size ie small jig head - small hook. Surely if you are to fish light then you should be able to still use a big (or long shank) hook. If i wanted to use a six inch shad in skinny water then I have to match it with a hook that is smaller then a 1/0 or use a head that is heavy but has a bigger hook.

Am I missing something in the tackle shops or are jig head makers just being lazy?

Dave

The question is why are hooks matched to jig heads by size ie small jig head - small hook. Surely if you are to fish light then you should be able to still use a big (or long shank) hook.

When u say light, how light were you looking for? I have jigheads of 1/6 and 1/4 with up to a sz 4/0 and 5/0 hook which matches up nicely to the bigger SPs, any lighter and I just use a tiny sinker above whatever hook I'm using.

If it's just a matter of fishing big SPs in really skinny water, as I often do, I'll just rig the SP on a big worm (Owner/Gama) hook. And 6 inch shads typically have sufficient weight for casting anyway.

Am I missing something in the tackle shops or are jig head makers just being lazy?

Its probably more a case of practicality, ie some shops just arent able to carry every single jighead in any one particular brand/range and having a jighead manufaturer ad a small, say 1/16, bit of lead to a biiig jighead is probably neither practical nor profitable

Good point matt and not to forget there is no rule saying that you can not add weight or take weight off a jighead.

I know alot of guys who will add lead strips to worm hooks and the such and ive also taken weight off a jighead if need be to get the right results...its all trial and error when it comes to plastic fishing. :1fishing1:

I have not fished plastics bigger than 3 inches so don't quote me on this :D

If you want to fish light, use worm hooks or Squidgy finesse resin heads (unweighted) with max size being the 4/0. Won't find these i Amart or bigU, but I am sure tackle stores will sell these !

Take a look at some of the new HWS (Hidden weight system) jigheads, there are some big hooks with relatively light weights in that range. Otherwise as Matt suggested use worm hooks or unweighted 90 degree jig hooks and add splitshot to your liking (known as a Texas rig). It can be hard to find this stuff in some tackle stores, you may have to ask your local store to order what you want in.

• 3 weeks later...

squidgy resin heads are tops for this! other wise i find that when using big sp's on to small of a jig head the plastic tends to spin out a fair bit, possibly because of the tow points positioning above the lead (my thoughts but not necessarily true) in which case I find a worm hook to be better and then you can add small ball sinkers above the hook.

squidgy resin heads are tops for this! other wise i find that when using big sp's on to small of a jig head the plastic tends to spin out a fair bit, possibly because of the tow points positioning above the lead (my thoughts but not necessarily true) in which case I find a worm hook to be better and then you can add small ball sinkers above the hook.

davemmm i had a simaler problem as the tackle shops round here dont always stock what i want so i get the mo,s catalougue sent to me with plenty of choices in there

arman