Pittwater/hawkesbury Sat 1st & Sun 2nd

sambo

Me and a cousin decided to leave Saturday afternoon for an overnight session on Pittwater and maybe the Hawkesbury. We left home at 5pm and got there at 6pm and in the water fishing by 6:30pm.

At this stage the weather was holding up so we decided to fish the shallows of barrenjoey for bream. With the tide running fast my cousin manage to pick up a 50cm flattie on a pilly and yet no bream to be seen. We pulled anchor and decided to go through the night anchored in front of Palm Beach ferry wharf.

With the anchor light on I had a peak at the water under and there was squid galore...i mean hundreds, so I ran over and grabbed the net to try and scope some but they were way to fast. I put a squid jig on in all colors and sizes and they were just ignoring it. So I tried different techniques. I was smashing the net hard on the water this way the squid were not fast enough to escape. The first smash resulted in 4 small squid all around 5-10cm, then I caught a few bigger ones around 10-15cm all in a couple of scoopes . then the bigger ones moved in but they were sitting a bit to far for me to net them.(I was using the hand net)so I tried a size 2 in pink squid jig and they just couldn’t resist. I caught another seven using a squid jig the biggest going 22cm just the hood. Now the squid were just way too hard to temp as there was plenty of pike and yellow under the boat and the squid had a liking to them. I had enough squid in the tank so I decided to catch a few yellow tails and pike (5 yellow tails, 1 pike)

Now I was tired of catching bait so I decided to actually have a fish. First cast with a tube worms and BANG a nice bream is in the boat. Then my cousins turn and he nets another bream ½ hour after. They were the only 2 bream in the sea but Then I seen a blue swimmer on the surface and he was in the boat in no time.

The light was appearing so it was time to go back for the bream. First cast and BANG bream…then my other rod was going off so a quickly pulled that one up. In 10min we pulled up 9 bream the biggest only going 34cm.we didn’t catch anymore because some #@$%#% moved in and anchored right in my berly trail. After this the sun was showing and no bream wear to be seen. I had 20 or so fresh squid in the tank and a couple of yellow tail and 1 pike in the tank so the decision was made to go to flint and still and hopefully pull up a jewie or two. Anchored and dropped two squid down and in 1 ½ i pulled up 4 shovel nose sharks…the biggest a bit over a meter. Then the tailor moved in and they were smashing the squid before it hit the bottom. The biggest went 43cm and I only kept 2.

With only 3 squid left in the tank we moved back into Pittwater to see if the kingfish wanted to play. But there was nothing so we headed home.

Nice looking bag there Sambo.

You put the hours in and got the results. Shame that no jewies wanted to play, but then that's why they're such a prize.

Any tips for the rest of us in choosing a spot to fish for bream? You seem to have them pretty wired!!

.......We pulled anchor and decided to go through the night anchored in front of Palm Beach ferry wharf .......

Nice session, good hunting!

Anchored out off the ferry wharf, yes what a top spot in that area to fall asleep with alarms on the rods !!! :thumbup:

Cheers for a smart overnight session done very well Sambo.

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Awesome catch of bream there mate,well done! you gotta hate when another boat pulls up right beside you

when they see you pull in a fish or two,they have the whole area to stop but think that all the fish must be under your boat,there is no common sense or respect out there sometimes by a few other fisho's.

Great effort mate & well rewarded for puttin in the long, dark hours out there,a top feed of fish too!

cheers

steve

Thanks for the comments guys...

Any tips for the rest of us in choosing a spot to fish for bream? You seem to have them pretty wired!!

Mondo the bream right now in pittwater are HOT...i was there three weeks ago and caught 4 bream in 4 cast on a run up tide...but some guys in another boat dicided to drive his boat to the area i was casting in and he put a crab pot down and no bream were to be seen.

i am fishing in the middle of pittwater inline with barrenjeoy headland as i find the bream over the years have moved to the deeper water because of the weed problems in pittwater. choose either a nice run up or preferably a run down. make sure that the high or low tide is on sunrise this way you can fish the last 2hours of the tide before sunrise. when it comes to the rig i find that a heaver sinker is needed there as the current is strong at times.

i use a 3 way swivel on all my rods with the side swivel for the sinker (short trace 10cm) and the bottom swivel for the trace line(1meter) small hooks is a must and i always have 2 hooks on the trace line.

1 hook is always running but also use this to hold your bait.i have never fialed to hook.

The best biat to use at the moment is nippers or live worms but pichards and prawns always works aswell.

also make sure to stay quiet and berley hard as soon as you get there.

good luck

cheers

Edited by sambo1

quote Sambo1

.......when it comes to the rig i find that a heaver sinker is needed there as the current is strong at times.

i use a 3 way swivel on all my rods with the side swivel for the sinker (short trace 10cm) .......

..................................................................................................................................................

Hi Sambo1 . Quite a few bream blokes fishing down deep in currents use the three way swivel set up and a fixed heavy sinker. Their point is that bream tend to drag the lot along with the bait, thinking there's more to come and getting hooked up solid as they tug away.

I use a heavy running snapper sinker down deep for jew and mouth hook bream on 8/0s no problem after only seeing a rod tip flickering around a little while bent down further than the normal current bend on tight drag.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: