Downrigging

Mugen

Hey guys,

My mates used to use 2-5 but have since dropped back to more like 5-7m and have found that they are getting more hits than previous..... also just recently changed to one of the shark downrigger bombs after some idiot (hmmm points to self) :ranting2: lost the old bomb. The old bomb was just the run of the mill job that you get when you buy the downrigger but my mate had spent 2 days painstakingly grouting on mirror pieces and 2 eyes!!! Well dropping it into the abyss may have been a good thing as the hit ratio seems to have gone up a little more since using the shark..... Might be more fish around and im sure there are many other factors at work but it seems to be working better so who are we to argue!!!!

Hey guys,

My mates used to use 2-5 but have since dropped back to more like 5-7m and have found that they are getting more hits than previous..... also just recently changed to one of the shark downrigger bombs after some idiot (hmmm points to self) :ranting2: lost the old bomb. The old bomb was just the run of the mill job that you get when you buy the downrigger but my mate had spent 2 days painstakingly grouting on mirror pieces and 2 eyes!!! Well dropping it into the abyss may have been a good thing as the hit ratio seems to have gone up a little more since using the shark..... Might be more fish around and im sure there are many other factors at work but it seems to be working better so who are we to argue!!!!

Thanks guys

Im new to this whole downrigging thing and if I can learn from people who have done/been around downrigging it should make my experience alot better...So 5 to 7 meters from the release clip ...

Ok next how do you join leader to main line...surely you dont use a swivel...is there a particular knot to joint leader to braid...??

Sorry for all the questions fellas

Cheers

Chris

I use a double uni to join the braid to the shock leader then a swivel to the main leader and I run the bait about 8 metres from the bomb

Jack

Thanks Bud

All this tackle talk....give me :beersmile: Mate please tell me what is a shock leader and its purpose..? could'nt I just run the main leader straight onto the braid...?

Regards Chris

Thanks Bud

All this tackle talk....give me :beersmile: Mate please tell me what is a shock leader and its purpose..? could'nt I just run the main leader straight onto the braid...?

Regards Chris

You could but it is alot better to add a shocker to the end of the braid because braid does not have much stretch in the line and putting that shock leader at the end gives you that little bit more stretch in the line when you are fightng the fish, with the shock leader you would rufly run about the same line size as your main line

Jack

You could but it is alot better to add a shocker to the end of the braid because braid does not have much stretch in the line and putting that shock leader at the end gives you that little bit more stretch in the line when you are fightng the fish, with the shock leader you would rufly run about the same line size as your main line

Jack

So for example

20 lb braid(main line) tied to 20 lb Leader ( shock leader ) around 5 meters...??? then swivel to main leader say 40 lb and about 8 meters long..

hows that sound....????

regards Chris

Mate we generally only put the bait about 3-5 metres behind........anymore then that and then tangles become a big worry with other downriggers and anchored boats.......

We run a wind on leader with a improved allbright to the braid line, We then snap swivel 1.5 metres on another leader which contains the Pre made Sliding snell rig...the reason for this is becuase if we get busted off, or cant get the hooks out of a fish during a big bite we can quickly change rigs by snapping another one on.......We normally have 6-7 pre made rigs ready

Mate we generally only put the bait about 3-5 metres behind........anymore then that and then tangles become a big worry with other downriggers and anchored boats.......

We run a wind on leader with a improved allbright to the braid line, We then snap swivel 1.5 metres on another leader which contains the Pre made Sliding snell rig...the reason for this is becuase if we get busted off, or cant get the hooks out of a fish during a big bite we can quickly change rigs by snapping another one on.......We normally have 6-7 pre made rigs ready

Cheers Netic

Thanks for your help mate, thats pretty much the way I will setup....Snap swivel setup is a great idea..

regards Chris