Car'less In Manly

russel_pollard

hey Guys,

Im new to your great country - and it is awesome to be back in a place surrounded by water and full of fish :thumbup:

Im naturally keen to get stuck back in and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a few good spots in my locality for fly or lure fishing. Im currently living in Manly and I have made the trip to Narrabeen lakes with my spinning and fly rods which was good fun getting into the flatties on the SP's etc But busing it is/was a bit painful. Other fishing around Manly has yielded fish smaller than the cutlery used to eat it with.

As I have my priorities right, I have instead of buying a car bought a (small) tinny which Im storing at Little Manly.

So any guidance to a few spots either land based or within striking distance of a 5hp would be fantastic. in the meantime - I will probably be the only bloke in the harbour trolling for Kingfish from a 3.2m tinny :biggrin2:

Sabona Zuluboy welcome to paradise

Mate where to start... there are hundreds of places to fish with a small tinny. When you get a car you will be able to reach thousands.

If you havn't already read the "Articles" ( especially the ones by Ken Alexander ) section in this in this website do so. They are an excellent guide to the fish and methods and places to catch them. They are Hawkesbury based but most of the techniques apply to the harbour.

Pick yourself a species and target them. Kings could be an excellent start for you. Make sure you are not undergunned though. Each species seem to have their gurus so track them down on the site and ask them for help.

For some strange reason a lot of the techniques and rigs employed in Africa do not work well in this part of the Pacific so try and learn some of the local techniques - quick

This site is full of very helpful fishos at all levels and thus don't be shy to share and to ask.

The Harbour has got better and better over the last few years. Learn to catch squid and cuttlefish. Learn to catch livies. Learn how to rig them and present them.

In a small tinnie be aware of the ferries and big yachts - stay out of their paths. Fish in and amongst the moored yachts and boats. Learn to read the birds. Learn to burley properly.

As to the million dollar question which spots? Well within in sight of Manly are many excellent spots. I would say fish the area and learn your own spots. I get a lot of satisfaction finding "new" spots. If you have a sounder it helps but I have caught lots with the sounder off. Pick say four (general areas) spots and fish them at all times of the tide. This way you will learn how the bay works. Make sure you can anchor quickly, quietly and effectively. If you are into trolling watch the birds and over time you will develop a route where you know you will pick up certain species. Time on the water is the best teacher of all.

The fish come and go and you will be very surprised at catches you make in certain places.

hope this has been of some help

cheers

inhlanzi

A while back I stayed in Queenscliff looking after a friends house. While there I went fishing. Found a few places towards Harbord that I could fish from the rocks.

For you using your fly off the rocks is possible, I have seen a fellow do that targetting Luderick. He used bread for the bait and put more bread crumbs on the surface. The Luderick took the bait.

Aish baba inhlanzi,

Shot for the info - have been picking up pieces as I go along and what you have said about fishing techniques being different is very true. Have started catching livies and other baits etc but think I need to work out where the channels and structures exist to present them and like you say perhaps stick to one thing as at the moment Im working 2-3 different presentations at a go. Also good call on the sounder, certainly on my Christmas list for mapping out a few spots when I get the boat out.

Thank again for the info

Later

You could try the small bay next to Taronga Zoo , we drift through there , and have caught many flathead and bream ( as well as those :ranting2: little snapper !) . Also , if the water is not too rough for a trip across the Harbour , the moored boats on the southern side of Watsons Bay rarely fail to produce a table fish !! Look for the spare mooring closest to the ferry wharf , and let fly! ( This is actually my spot X , so lets keep the details just between you and me , OK ? :074: )

Ross

You could try the small bay next to Taronga Zoo , we drift through there , and have caught many flathead and bream ( as well as those :ranting2: little snapper !) . Also , if the water is not too rough for a trip across the Harbour , the moored boats on the southern side of Watsons Bay rarely fail to produce a table fish !! Look for the spare mooring closest to the ferry wharf , and let fly! ( This is actually my spot X , so lets keep the details just between you and me , OK ? :074: )

Ross

Cheers Flightmanager - harbour will have to be calm as I did that trip to the white channel lighthouse outside Watsons on the weekend and it was pretty tough going with the chop and wind..not to mention the millions of sail & power boats eager to see how close they can tack/drive next to you :ranting2:

Swell depending I will probably have a go around Dobroryd early Sat or work my way around the lee of the inside of the heads

Thanks all for the info!