Nitro Rods

braddles

Using it for flicking for kings and jews...taking it offshore for sometimes snapper... chucking metals at schools of mack's / light poppers for small kings too...

I'm usually shore based more than ever... just targeting all those pelagic speedsters on lure work

the nitro viper 6-8kg 7'0

the nitro magnum butt distance spin 4-6kg.... 7'6

Giving many thoughts.... ive been wondering for a while. Im leaning towards the viper... "sure" its possible to land small kingys with both... but a big kingy will do you easy on ethier on the rods...

it was a good good for breaming wasnt really okay for more heavier lures....

My reel ill be using is going to be a daiwa capricorn 4500j with 30lb NITLON braid...

cheeeeers brad.

Brad,

I chose a Viper simply because of the ability to cast heavier lures over the MagBut. I matched it to a Diawa Sol 3000 which in hind sight may be a little light for the Viper but I can live with that. It's loaded with 30lb Suffix Performance Braid & will hit the water for the first time this weekend. I'm looking forward to hooking into some kingys or salmon.

Paul

Using it for flicking for kings and jews...taking it offshore for sometimes snapper... chucking metals at schools of mack's / light poppers for small kings too...

I'm usually shore based more than ever... just targeting all those pelagic speedsters on lure work

the nitro viper 6-8kg 7'0

the nitro magnum butt distance spin 4-6kg.... 7'6

Giving many thoughts.... ive been wondering for a while. Im leaning towards the viper... "sure" its possible to land small kingys with both... but a big kingy will do you easy on ethier on the rods...

it was a good good for breaming wasnt really okay for more heavier lures....

My reel ill be using is going to be a daiwa capricorn 4500j with 30lb NITLON braid...

cheeeeers brad.

For the 4500J with 30lb, definitely the Viper or even the bigger Godzilla. I run 20 lb braid on my Viper.

I thought you were leaning towards the Rapala Braid Concept? IMHO, it's a better rod with better components.

Just how flicky is the viper? .... Ive heard the magnum butt is more rated to like 4-8kg really... I dont know i cant feel them both... I have to order one soon!

Bassically i think... if i order the viper.. its way more overgunned for the others ill be chasing... but then again i have surance that ill land them........I dont think 30lb braid would fit on a magnum butt anyway...

but then the 7'6 .... its good for sure basing and good for jewies!...ughh just dont know!

or get both!

I'm looking at a 4-6kg rod for similar reasons. My 5-8kg is a bit heavy and I've caught many of my kings on my 2-4kg (up to mid-70cms). If you're going to get smoked I'm not sure the difference between the 2 will be that significant. More fun on the lighter one.

I have recently bought the magnum butt and a stradic 4000 with 20lb braid.

Awesome outfit I love it.

I have been bricked by a few kings at Long Reef but that is to be expected when fishing in 12m of water.

I chose it over the viper cause I wanted to flick lightly weighted plastics and let it drift thru the water column.

I thought it might be a bit better for fishing for reds too.

Just my 2c worth.

Cheers

Wigg

I went with the magnum butt. yes the reel is a little heavy... after a shimano 4000 size reel now with 20lb...

That's easy - go the Stradic 4000 as it's probably the best mid-priced reel in the Shimano stable that's proven to be reliable enough for kingy fishing. You can get the old FH model pretty cheap at the moment as they are being phased out. If you're after a more upmarket Shimano, then you can't go past the new Stella 4000FD. I have one arriving in a few days (hopefully before Xmas!) which I intend matching with my TCurve Power Spin. Will let you know how it measures up to the Branzino which I am fully impressed with. Otherwise, go online and get a Biomaster 4000, which I consider a superior reel to the Stradic at a lower price. It is virtually identical mechanically to the local Twin Power 4000, BUT does not have the spare spool or machined handle. You should be able to get one for about $200 incl postage.

In Daiwa, the Tierra, TDA or Sol 3000 will do the job. I have a Tierra 4000 with 20lb (brand new, unused) which I can let you have a play with. If interested, PM me for details. It is similar in weight to the Stradic 4000 but has a much bigger spool. Otherwise, you could go upmarket with the Hyper Certate 3000 or Morethan Branzino. You have a good rod, so should match it up with a half decent reel.

I went with the magnum butt. yes the reel is a little heavy... after a shimano 4000 size reel now with 20lb...

I'd go smaller than 4000 in the shimano range, mainly due to the weight of the reels. i went through a similar process for selecting my latest rod package and i was all set to go with the magnum butt nitro untill i had a play with an Egrell S4......but thats not the issue, I found the viper would suit my 4000 shimano Symetre quite well but i;d say that it is too big and heavy for the magnum. I have a similar shape and designed 7'6" rod which is good with the 4000 but better with a 2500 for balance. I've since put a 2500R certate with the S4 (7', 4-6kg) and found it great for inshore Snapper to Mulloway. Best fish to date is a 120cm Jew from a tweed reef. I'm even going to give it a lash on the barra in Lake Monduran in a week or 2.

The 3000 Daiwa size would probably be the best compromise for you. plenty of line capacity in 20lb braid( i got 250yds of 20lb whiplash on my 2500R) and nice and light to use compared to the larger body in the 4000 shimano, I think there is close to 100gms difference in weight.

Cheers Roo.

May I also suggest you also take a serious look at the Shimano Saros as a lower cost option. Has all the new enhancements and is at a very decent price. Excellent performance - I have used them for all estuary applications from light flicking for Bream to red-lining kings and snappers on inshore reefs - definately pulls it's weight.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

• 1 year later...

Bump

I was thinking bout matching my luvias 3000 to a magnum butt. Thinking bout ordering some varivas braid in PE 1.5 or PE 2. Would this be alright for the magnum butt or will i need the viper?

I will be flicking plastics for syd harbour kings.

Thanks

I've got a viper which I had paired with a 3000 sol but found it too small for the rod, I've since put a 4000 certate on it and it's perfect now! This is my heavy outfit, I also have a medium outfit which is a 10-17lb Zion with the 3000 sol which I use for snapper and it's a nice combo. The magnum butt would be perfect with your luvias.

i'm going to assume the branzino is same spool size as the luvias

the spool only just fits 300yds of 15lb sufix. just enough left over for some mono backing. I would just fill it all the way up. Braid is less susceptible to deterioration and you won't run out of line so quickly due to leatheries or bust offs

Edited by hottyscotty

• 3 weeks later...