Tinnie Wiring

dashe

Hi Raiders

I am currently attempting a rewire of my tinnie and would like to run it by some more experienced individuals as to the correct way to wire up a 12v system in an aluminium tiller steer boat.

I have a small 12v battery just to power the finder and nav lights etc etc

Now if i am not mistaken i run my active lead to a switch then to a postive bus.From there any active wire coming from the positive bus has an individual inline fuse before their individual switchs.From those switchs i run to the active on the components.

Now all neutrals from each component run back to a negative bus then one negative lead runs back to the negative side of the battery.

On my finder a furuno 620 there is a post at the rear of the unit for what i believe to be a earth.

Do i run an earth lead from this post on the back of the unit to the negative bus?

The tinnie is a pull start so there is no wiring running to the outboard.

Thanks for any advice inadvance.

Hi Dashe, you are spot on. Do exactly what you listed and the only comment I could add is run tinned marine wire and you will be good to go. As for ther Furuno I am not really sure, do you have the installation manual still, if not give Mark from Furuno a call. He has been very good in my dealings with them about Furuno wanting us as a dealer.

PM me and I can give you his details or better yet perhaps on the Furuno website they might have a wiring diagram.

Cheers,

Huey.

Now all neutrals from each component run back to a negative bus then one negative lead runs back to the negative side of the battery

Us sparkys get the cranks when you start calling negatives "neutrals" but aside from that just as Huey said just get the wording right to make us feel better.

Dave

What would you earth it to??? There is no earth necessary on a 12volt system.

Tuffy

all DC items require an earth to complete the circuit otherwise there is no flow of electrons.

As for the wiring i would run a large capacity fuse at the battery just in case a short happens to occur before the +ve bus

On my finder a furuno 620 there is a post at the rear of the unit for what i believe to be a earth.

I dont belive you bother earthing the sounder at the rear, at the trade night i attended Mark Ried (Furuno) mentioned this can cause a loop type problem. But as Heuy has suggested give him a call, although based in Sydney he can be contacted by going through the Brisbane office.

What would you earth it to??? There is no earth necessary on a 12volt system.

Tuffy

Its not earth like house wiring which has an earth return which is A.C= Alternating current, Its a negative which completes the circuit on D.C=direct current like cars and trucks and boats.