Soft Plastics

kinghazza

HOW DO YOU USE YOUR SOFT PLASTICS?? I USUALLY GO THE SLOW RETRIEVE, THAT SEEMS TO WORK FOR ME :1fishing1:

i slow retrieve, twitch it, high stick it and a variety of other movements depending on what plastic is being used. im only new to it but ive caught a couple fish and am hooked on it.

Depends what you're fishing for.

For Flatties, I cast, let it hit the bottom, then give it two good whacks, wind up the slack, let it hit the bottom and repeat. :thumbup:

The sharp jerks get their attention and they usually smack it on the drop.

Edited by Ceph

For Flatties, I cast, let it hit the bottom, then give it two good whacks, wind up the slack, let it hit the bottom and repeat. :thumbup:

Same technique on the flatties for me too ceph,the flatties seem to really like it that way.

I think the right technique is whatever works sometimes just letting the plastic sit there works.

I do have to add that proper presentation when rigging up the SP is very important i.e making sure that it's swimming straight, not spinning around when winded in, etc....

Edited by bmar560

I'm not even close to being an expert but I have found little flicks and a slower retrieve in bream territory works best for me. Funny though the hard bodies in the same or similar spots seem to go better being pulled along much quicker.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

ceph do use this technique when using squidgy fish as well? that is what i do with gulps but always thought that with the fish a slow rise of the rod tip was the way to go?

went out today and threw a few sp's around however the frustrating thing was the plastics were getting chomped in half at the back just before the hook. This happened for the next 10 or so casts without a decent hook up :(

does this happen often? i was thinking it was a tailor because i ended up running out of plastics and using hb's. Caught a few little tailors and pike.

P.s sorry ray r for adding this to ur post. i thought it was along the same lines and for those that have only started using sp's (such as myself) it could help :1prop:

went out today and threw a few sp's around however the frustrating thing was the plastics were getting chomped in half at the back just before the hook. This happened for the next 10 or so casts without a decent hook up :(

does this happen often? i was thinking it was a tailor because i ended up running out of plastics and using hb's. Caught a few little tailors and pike.

P.s sorry ray r for adding this to ur post. i thought it was along the same lines and for those that have only started using sp's (such as myself) it could help :1prop:

that can be a problem with sps at night...the tailor shred them. I generally stop using them at that point as it gets a little expensive for little result. best to carry some small metal plugs for situations like that.

that can be a problem with sps at night...the tailor shred them. I generally stop using them at that point as it gets a little expensive for little result. best to carry some small metal plugs for situations like that.

It happened in early in the afternoon today but note taken for future reference :thumbup:

hey davec, alot of the time it is also toad fish... very VERY ANNOYING!!! if there are V shaped chunks missing from the plastic it is probably squid so chuck out a jig!

was at forty baskets haha near where u live

usually get squid there but i didnt think of that

i guess there was too much wind so didnt expect them to be around

neways cheers for that buddy

Ive been getting into fishing with plastics a bit and ive found that for Flathead its best to cast wherever youre targetting (dropoff, weed bed edge etc...) let the plastic sink to the bottom free spooling, lock up the bail when its on the bottom and let it sit for about 10 seconds. give it two nudges then let it sink then wind up the slack then a slow rise and a nudge, let it sink then repeat.

i also find that they will take it on the drop after a rise or nudge.

for bream i use a bit more of a irregular retrieve, use using alot lighter jig head, cast to structure etc, let it drop for a metre or so and use a quick retrieve, walking the dog i think its called and pause the lue evey couple of metres, again the pause or drop is usually whjere the fish will smash the plastic.

I think the retrieve technique you use is all about getting their attention and getting them curious and excited. bream tend to be a bit more aggressive but and like a faster retrieve with a few pauses and flatties will see the sand get stirred by the plastic each time it drops after a rise ir nudge and will just eat it because it has gotten their attention when the sand has been disturbed.