Botany Bay Rat Kingie

the_lure

hit the bay early yesterday in search of some kings, i got a 40cm model last time out so was hoping to better it this time. We got to the spot and I cast out one of those cheap berkley frenzy poppers (small ones from BigW, not bad value at $3.95) I was hooked up almost straight away, ended up being a solid 60cm + tailor. The tailor surface action continued for a while and we ended up landing 5 nice ones for last nights fishcakes :thumbup:

The surface action died down so we tied on some lightly wieghted plastics, My mate got a solid salmon on a sluggo and I landed the 50cm Rat kingie below on a 100mm squidgie flickbait with a lightweight gamekatsu darted head. Great fun on 14lb line and now looking to upgrade to a serious king next outing!!

cheers

Chris

50cmking.sized.jpg

A nice couple of fish by the sound of it and the kingy size is on the up so here's hoping the plan comes off...maybe aim for something like Byron's mates kingy!!

25104[/snapback]

I'll need a serious gear upgrade before I aim that high, heaviest combo i have is about 8kg rod and a Dawia 4000 spinning reel :1prop: from what i hear the bigger they get the harder and harder they go, i definatly think the 50cm fought 3 times harder than the 40cm one i got last week!!!

The tailor fishing on the surface was awesome, ive only ever really caught tailor from the beach on pillies or on plastics while fishing for bream and flatties and have never got them at this size before.

cheers

Chris