Botany Bay 15.12.07

robeebee

after cancelling our regular Monday fortnightly trip due to wind, Dad rings me up

wanna go on Saturday ? I don't need much persuading and set a time for 5.15 am

I look up windfinder and see its a falling barometer and a run in tide , BUGGER

get on the water about 5.45 and motor around the breakwall to the baths and start to drift

our first cast's get hammered by small reddies and in the 1st hour or so its more of the same

Dad lands a small whiting and we hope there are some bigger ones around ,YUM

finally Dads rod gets a good bend in it and has a battle with a 40 plus cm trevally, hooray

I land a small flathead , oh well

then my little flick stick gets hit hard , reels spinning and it's a good whiting , 39.5 cm's

couple more casts and I'm on again , big head shakes this time and i start to worry on 4 pound line

after some tense runs Dad nets a 63 cm girl for me

Dads turn next and gets a good whiting as well, followed shortly by a decent flattie, this is good !

goes quiet for a bit , after an hour i get a mid thirties chopper and a 45 cm flattie

then the strangest thing happened , we got into a patch of small reddies again

whilst reeling in my rod buckles over and starts peeling line

eventually get leader and a huge Flattie has the Reddie in it's gob, I call Dad over to look

then the the flathead lets go of the reddie and just hovers around it staring , spooky

I leave the fish in to see if the big flattie would take it again but she slowly slithers back down

if we both hadn't seen it , it would be hard to believe, would have gone nearly a metre this fish

any way it went quiet again so we cleaned the fish and went home

Sounds like a top day.

So much for the barometer and run in tide.

I had the same thing happen with a cuttlefish and a kingy. It just drifted up and let go of the little cuttly when it got to the surface, no fight, nothing, just a bit of extra weight.

Good stuff there....... :thumbup:

Had similar luck myself on Saturday.

A good bag of whiting from the same spot, along with flatties.

Also found the rat kingies wanting to play, whilst collecting livies we had a school of rats hanging around for a half hour taking our bait jigs for a run. Great fun on the light gear and hand lines. :biggrin2: