Macdonald River Eels

Macster

Decided to get off the beaten track a little so Spud, the GF and I headed up Macdonald River, up where we were pretty confident the Waterways wouldn't be patrolling for a few quiet ales :beersmile:

Spent dusk on the horseshoe bend casting in and got a few hits but pulled in only eels - one almost a metre long. Vicious bastards! Set them loose but wondered later whether Eels are edible

:huh:

Hit the mouth of the Macdonald for half an hour after dusk to no results (though pulled in a nice legal bream there a week ago).

All in all a nice few hours on the water in a beautiful part of the world.

:fishing1:

• 15 years later...

I hate eels, get them all the time chasing Jew in the hacking and they are slimy horrible things. Wont typically even bring them in the boat, just cut them off and re-rig. That said I have had some funny experiences with them.

When I was younger I caught one on my dads hand line and mentioned I was going to cut it off. My dad however decided he wasn't going to loose a 50cent hook to some eel so he grabbed it by the back of the head to de-hook it. The eel responded by wrapping tightly around his arm and started to pull its head out of his grip. The only reason it didn't pull out and bite him was the fact that I still had the line tight pulling it back the other way. To get the thing off his arm he basically had to chop its head half off which took about 10min of hacking all the while its hissing and trying to bite him. Tough as a boot. Ended up with slime everywhere.

Fast forward a decade or so and a mate of mine declared his dad loved eating them and that he wanted to keep one and try it. I told him that there was no way I was helping him deal with one and if he wanted to bring one on board he was on his own. Given that I normally help these guys de-hook their bigger fish anyway i didn't like his odds. Next trip out though with four of us on my 4.5m half cab he turns up with a large set of garden shears. I shook my head and reiterated what a terrible idea this was. Anyway, sure enough, half way through the night up comes a bloody big eel. I stand back while in the darkness one mate holds the line up and the other try's to get the shears around the thrashing eels neck. Next thing the shears touch the line under tension and, PING, the thing is snapping away at both their feet. My mate who brought the shears starts dancing on the spot and with the slime everywhere he slips and falls flat on his back, a miracle he didn't hit his head on the gunwale and break his neck. Next thing though he was back on his feet in a flash and all four of us are stuck in the front of my little halfcab with this angry bloody eel slithering all over the shop and him badly bruised and covered in slime. After much stuff abouts they finally maneuvered the thing between the garden shears and tried to cut its head off only to discover how bloody tough those things area. This hacking process took the best part of 15min and resulted in a bent edge to the set of garden shears and an eel that was dead but by no means decapitated. So after 20min of complete chaos I took the opportunity to reiterate that i really didn't think it was a particularly good idea. As for the feedback on eating it I'm told that it was edible but not exactly amazing. 

One for the Mods, just realised after posting that this is a post from 2004. For some reason it was showing up top of my topics list on the right hand side of the forums screen where the latest posts usually show up?? Looks like this is happening for a couple of others too by some of the posts going up. Screen grab of what seems to be coming up.

image.thumb.png.a7198424f0c6f040ee020abe397fc469.png

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy
Commented on old post in error

Eels are perfectly edible, but not everyone's cup of tea. They are quite fatty so they lend themselves to methods like grilling and smoking.

It's served steamed in Chinese restaurants with soy sauce, shallots, ginger, dried citrus peel and oil. They cut it into cutlets, put the condiments on and then steam it. It's quite rich served that way, so a little goes a long way. There's a few bones to work through, but it is worth the effort.

I know the Japanese serve it filleted (no idea how they do that) and grilled with some sweet (terayaki?) sauce. It's nice like that with a bit of rice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

I know the Japanese serve it filleted (no idea how they do that) and grilled with some sweet (terayaki?) sauce. It's nice like that with a bit of rice.

I want to know how they do that, I love the way Japanese prep eel.

Its even very tasty when they make it into sushi!

Edited by kingie chaser

4 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

One for the Mods, just realised after posting that this is a post from 2004. For some reason it was showing up top of my topics list on the right hand side of the forums screen where the latest posts usually show up?? Looks like this is happening for a couple of others too by some of the posts going up. Screen grab of what seems to be coming up.

Cheers,

Rich

Its been sorted 😊

Some old threads in various sections are still very applicable & worth looking at & if there is something worth adding or a question to be asked on the existing content then great.

I have re opened some old threads myself because I felt I had something decent to add or I was wanting more advice on the same issue.

However just reopening a thread from 15.5 years ago just to say 'nice report' isn't what I would call constructive.

& that was they case here.