Fly Fishing Jindy With A Buddy

arpie

Hi guys

Headed down to Canberra last week - my husband was doing the 1/2 Ironman triathlon there on Sunday, so Kim & I hatched this sneaky plot to duck down to Jindy to have a go at the trout, so Keith could 'rest up' for the race ..... and also babysit the house & the dogs!!

The metal sculpture on the way down had some interesting bling on it! post-2231-1198033007_thumb.jpg

Stopped in at the Alpine Angler & got a few flies & I also bought some mudeyes (couldn't find any at Forster before we left.)

We stayed at a lodge that is right on the lake. Had the whole place to ourselves!! Terrific! Waited 5 mins, then headed to the lake (even tho it was still daylight ....) and as the sun started to go down I was able to get some practise in before attacking the trout in earnest after dark!

post-2231-1198032918_thumb.jpg

It was about 10 years since I had last fly fished, so my action was not only somewhat rusty, it was somewhat aggressive!!!

Put a sinking Mrs Simpson's on & was idly stripping it back in figure of 8's (in la la land) when whack! Something had grabbed my fly! It had some good weight to it so I immediately struck, lifting the rod tip to the sky, with force ...... causing my line to break at the leader/tippet knot!! I think the word I said was 'BUGGAR' (could have been worse!) However, I was optimistic of more fish, if that one was silly enough to have a go! We were there till after 10pm without another take! Home for late dinner (luckily we had brought up some ready made rice & threw some vege in to turn it into risotto!) Fell into bed, with the alarm clock on for 4am the next morning!

Bleary eyed, we hit the lake to a gorgeous morning and it is not long before Kim is onto a nice fish. I couldn't catch a cold! I was trying ...... very trying, as Kim told me later!! Kim kept offering me her flies, but I didn't want to lose all her flies, so persisted with the ones I had bought & the really old ones that I had brought over with me from NZ (where I had only ever done nymphing in the past.) If I had taken up her offer, she reckons I would have been onto fish a lot earlier! About 7am we headed home for some breakfast & then kitted up to hit the rivers, where Kim had great expectations of me getting into a fish. It was now her aim in life to get me into a decent fish!

Kim hooks a nice rainbow & I continue to flail the water! At least my arm is getting lots of exercise. I hook my first tree. We see lots of hatches on the water's edge - caddis, mayflies & lots of little grey moths. We sit on the side of the river & have a bite to eat, planning our next strategy. Up river, we go & we try some more pools - gorgeous, fishy looking water - we see them rising, but they don't take the fly.

Now, dry fly fishing is very new to me - i had only previously done nymphing in big NZ rivers or using wet flies in big lakes over there. My presentation of the dry fly left a lot to the imagination! Every fish within 20m would have scattered as soon as I set foot in the water, let alone thrashing it with the long wand, I reckon! Kim should have gone further upstream, away from me!

I had a couple of breaks, with sore feet (shoes were too tight) and put my neo waders on that evening to fish the lake again. I tried a couple of tassie devils & stopped that when one got caught in a submerged tree & busted off. Then I tried a soft plastic till the same thing happened again! Time to go back to flies! Moved around to the shallow water, where Kim was fishing & As it got darker, fish were rising everywhere! Kim was already onto a fish & I was to her left. Then she was onto another nice fat rainbow that she put back. THen another nice big brown! I caught yet another tree & lost one of my Mrs Simpsons (the fly that was working, dammit!)

Dinner was looking good for tonight! Once again we fished till after 10pm, then retired to the lodge to cook dinner. Very nice trout it was, too! The plan was to hit the lake first, then the river again in the morning, in the hope of a fish for me ..... which was not to be!! Once again, my shoes were still a bit tight & after a while, all I could think about were my sore feet (and my back wasn't doing me any favours either!) This getting old isn't as much fun as they reckon it is!

Kim gets another nice brown from the lake whilst I get much needed casting practise. Then we move to the river. Beautiful morning on the river - bugs & moths hatching everywhere! A sprinkle of rain here & there to keep us cool & I catch my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th tree, losing some of the flies that Kim had so kindly donated to the cause! Dammit! Very annoyed at losing the flies! If I'd lost them to fish, I would have preferred it!

How's the serenity? We virtually had the place to ourselves - watching the bugs instead of the fly (mind you, half the time, I was watching the wrong bit anyway - only to realise when I was retrieving the fly that the bubble that I was watching wasn't the fly!) I bet I missed a bundle of takes!

Reluctantly, we packed up & headed back to the lodge, to retrieve all our gear & head back to Canberra. Keith had survived as had, more importantly, the dogs (gorgeous animals that they are! Full of personality!) Keith said "You should have stayed down longer!" ...... so we took him at his word & started planning our next trip down the next day! The weather was looking a bit bleak, but we hoped there would be a window of opportunity to hook one of those elusive fish for me!

Back in Jindy, there were a few more people in the lodge, but we still managed to get a room each to ourselves! Down by the river, I finally had my shoes sorted out & was able to fish without that worry! Just my back to contend with now! Fished some very fishy looking water & watched as bugs were hatching everywhere!! Kept putting a caddis fly past one spot & Yippee!! A fish slurped it into his mouth! By the time I had lifted the line off the water & tightened it up, I somehow managed to pull the hook from its mouth! Another time, I was away in la la land & Kim saw a good 'take' but I was watching the waterfall & missed it! Then, just as I was about to retrieve my line, a fiesty little brown sucked my fly in & I had my first fish of the season! He was about 6" long & managed to get off the hook before I could turn the camera on! Mind you, it would have needed Macro to get it in the shot!

We head down to the lake for the evening rise - I toss in a NZ 'glo bug', hoping to trick a trout into taking it, but it didn't happen! I had tried the odd mudeye under a float & had lost the mudeye but not hooked a fish! So, once again, I tried the flies! I glanced down at one point whilst changing my fly & noticed there was a mudeye hatch going on all around me! I collected 8 in the next 5 mins! Funny looking things that they are!! Ended up giving them to a young Swiss guy back at the lodge, who was hoping to get into a trout! I am fishing the spot that Kim had caught the 3 trout in the other night - and she is fishing some distance away to the left of me, when, she's on again!! A feisty little brown (not so little actually, over 1kg) was jumping out of the water & performing for the audience! Fish were blooping & slurping all around me but I couldn't entice a bite! Very exciting to watch & be a part of. Kim was very patient with me & a bit disappointed that I didn't land a good fish - but what can I say?

Went back to the lodge for a lovely dinner & chat with the Swiss family. Time to head back to the big smoke, where it has been pouring with rain & Kieth had to compete in it! He did well, winning his age group & finishing in over 6hrs.

I had a terrific few days in the company of a very skilled fly fisher & hope to do so again in the near future! It has definitely rekindled my trout fishing expectations! Kim, I promise I will drop the flyline onto the water more quietly, instead of thumping it down ..... promise!

Cheerio

Roberta

<'))))))<

lovely spots

post-2231-1198033247_thumb.jpg

nice brownspost-2231-1198033323_thumb.jpg

total concentration

kim is on againpost-2231-1198033507_thumb.jpg

Stewy, I have never been so knackered yet exhilerated in a long time!! We just fished our little hearts out & it was just my inexperience that denied me fish. Kim says there is nothing wrong with my casting action, just the landing of the line & fly. The fish are there - just have to be very stealthy in approaching & laying down the line. Kim kept saying 'dolly steps' as I strode into the river, spooking every fish within the pool!

I found a great new Flyfishing Mag called "Flyfisher Australia, New Zealand & Pacific Basin". Only out twice a year & the first issue has a terrific article (& drawings) on recognising the "type of rise' the fish is doing & what specific bug they are after. Then just (ho ho) choose the required fly to match the hatch. The fly shop in the village has a few back copies of it - then it is gone forever .... they bought up all the back copies available!

Can't wait to do it again!

Roberta

Forgot to mention that I saw a platypus - I was on my way back to the car when I thought I saw a rise ...... & was getting the rod ready to cast & what should pop up, but a platypus!! Absolutely gorgeous! Too quick to get a photo tho!

Also when I was busy losing tassie devils & flies at the lake, we had a nightly arrival of white tipped water rats!! Quite gorgeous, really. They made their way around the shoreline, dunking (like a platypus) when they realised they'd been spotted!

Edited by Roberta

Great report Roberta and great to see some Fly work happening :thumbup: Conditions looked pretty good and judging from your photo of that Structure near Cooma it looks pretty green. My Parents still live in Cooma and they have been getting tonnes of rain.

Last time I hit that Bay in your last photo the water was a lot further down, I see its up around 60% now.

I am heading up Boxing day for a few days and I hope the Trouts are still fairly active.

Cheers

Windy

Edited by Matt

Hi Windy & Zuluboy

There was heaps of activity in the evenings, over the newly covered flats of the lake. The wind was a bit of a pain, hence we kept changing spots (Kim knew where to go) and that last little bay was a beauty. Kim got a fish there both times we fished it. Bugs & things everywhere, including the old mudeyes. I am sure you will get into some good fish there, Windy.

Kim had stopped going for 12 months, as it depressed her too much to see the Snowies in drought condition. Her 2 favourite rivers are virtually dry & even if they do start to run, will take at least 10 years or more to recover. She has been fishing the area for over 40 years & knows it well.

Your 4wt would be superb, Zuluboy - especially for the rivers! The Adams & caddis were working on the river. My 6 wt was probably a tad big for the river, but reckon it was my style as much as anything that kept me from fish. I will be getting back into it, tho - even on the flats up here, for bream!! The practise will only do me good!

I must put a pair of breathable waders on my xmas list!!

On your way down, keep your eyes open for nice mushrooms growing in the reserves of the towns as you drive thru - somes are as big as dinner plates! Hu-mongous!

Watch out for the wombat holes along the rivers - you could disappear in some of them!! They are everywhere.

Looking forward to reading your reports!!

Cheers

ROberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Nice report.

I share your friend Kim's sentiments about the Snowys. It's not only that high summer temperatures and lack of rainfall during this long, long drought have devastated the fishing, it's the sight of the parched countryside and what's left of our once magnificent dams and rivers that really hurts.

My last trip to Jindabyne was in May, when all I managed was one rainbow in the Threadbo River during several days of intensive fly fishing, including hours "flogging" the Lake. Haven't been able to justify another trip since, with high cost of petrol adding to cost of accommodation.

But things are definitely looking up. If we get another wet winter like the last, and a few more mild summers, like this one is shaping up to be, then Kim might be surprised how quickly the fishery recovers (does she still recall the drought of the early 80s?). And further good rains are forecast for this summer.

Lakes are now rising, and many streams have decent flow for the first time in years. It's amazing how the hardy browns survive, probably by retreating to deeper holes or falling back into the lakes. And while stocked rainbows usually perish, they are the focus of restocking efforts because they grow at a phenomenal rate if conditions are right and there's plenty of food. I've been told by a reliable source that rainbows can grow from fingerlings to mature fish that weigh in excess of a kilo in two to three seasons.

So I reckon it's time to dust off the trout fly rods, or buy a new one or two like I just have -- well, it is Christmas. My trout fisherman's instincts tell me the good times will soon be here. Or perhaps old trout fishermen are just perpetual optimists?

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Hi Bob

Yes, Kim was amazed at how green it was & is keen to get down there more often now. I bet she would well remember the drought of the 80's.

We fished the Thredbo a few times - no doubt you recognised the shot! That is where I ripped the hook out of the mouth of the bigger fish of the 2 I hooked there! My first 2 (& only) fish on dry fly!

Re accomodation - I was lucky - Kim is a member of a waterfron lodge, so it was only $20 a night with superb kitchen facilities & deck & OK sleeping facilities ..... let's face it, every room looks the same with your eyes shut! Hopefully we will do it again (often???) in the future! I just so enjoyed it. Who knows - we may see you there one day!

Didn't take too long before I was casting relatively OK - I will never empty the spool (or even get to the backing) but so long as I can get it to the cruisers on the lake or under the trees on the river, I will be happy! Just have to practise lifting the rod tip before dropping the line on the water!

Cheers

Roberta

Must pull my finger out & try it on the lake here - I have a rod & reel that would suit .... may have to pinch one of the floating lines from one of my other reels, tho!

I wouldn't say the drought devestated the fishing as such, the rivers were tough but the Lakes actually started fishing better to some extent. In fact even though I lived in Cooma for 20 years and fished the lakes I think the best fishing I experienced was over the last 5 drought years.

Also meant a little more exploring to find good water which resulted in locating some awesome high Country lakes where the Trout may not have been big but they were plentiful and the scenery is awesome.

Places like Three Mile, Dry, Rainbow Lake, Geehi etc.

Still its wonderful to see water coming back into the big Lakes, all though I have had some bad news about Eucumbene recently.

Cheers

Windy

Hi Roberta,

I've always found taking trout on the dry fly a little like fishing for blackfish: far more fish are missed by trying to set the hook too early than setting it too late.

A trout needs time to take the fly into its mouth and turn down, then it's time to set the hook. There's an old book, by an American fellow named Vince Mar...? called "The "Ring of the Rise" which is worth looking at if you can locate a copy: amazing underwater photographs of a trout taking a dry fly.

Just like when luderick fishing, you can usually judge how quickly to set the hook by the enthusiam with which the trout engulfs the fly. In fast water the fish has to take the fly quickly, or it's past and gone, so you usually set the hook quickly. On slow flowing pools or around the edges of lakes, however, a trout can take its time, so you usually need wait a second or so (like estuary luderick fishing?) before tightening.

Yes, there's some cheap accommodation to be had. I was down Jindabyne in May with my trout fishing club, two to room and about 8 or nine to a lodge, and it was very reasonable. Pity about the fishing though.

Fly fishing the shallow tidal lakes around weed beds for bream and flathead is good casting practice. I used to fish Narrabeen Lake a lot twenty or so years ago. In my experience, bream are more difficult to fool than flathead, which often seem willing to have a go at anything.

My most successful fly for bream was a self tied #6 fluro orange seaducer, very lightly weighted with bead chain eyes, which I tied trying to copy the colour, size and proportions of a successful lure. Bream used to take it on the drop! I assume it must have been mistaken for a nipper. I've read that small clousers, crazy charlies and shrimp patterns also work.

I found it was much easier to fool the bream if a stiff North-Easter had stirred the water up a bit, so it had some colour; they were next to impossible if the water was clear. A 6 weight outfit with floating line should work just fine.

Good luck: hope you wet your backing.

Regards,

Bob

I wouldn't say the drought devestated the fishing as such, the rivers were tough but the Lakes actually started fishing better to some extent. In fact even though I lived in Cooma for 20 years and fished the lakes I think the best fishing I experienced was over the last 5 drought years.

Also meant a little more exploring to find good water which resulted in locating some awesome high Country lakes where the Trout may not have been big but they were plentiful and the scenery is awesome.

Places like Three Mile, Dry, Rainbow Lake, Geehi etc.

Still its wonderful to see water coming back into the big Lakes, all though I have had some bad news about Eucumbene recently.

Cheers

Windy

Hi Windy,

I guess your local knowledge proved useful. Recent reports from my fly fishing club indicate many fly fishers are still struggling a bit. I know I found fishing much easier before the long drought, when there were expansive shallow bays and big weed beds.

Want to share the bad news about Lake Eucumbene?

Regards,

Bob

Hi guys

Just realised my striking of the fish was all wrong - I was lifting the rod & striking, rather than tightening the line to set the hook, then lift the rod to play the fish!! Won't get that wrong the next time!!

Yes, Bob - I have always likened blackie fishing to Trout fishing in some ways - especially the observation & timing of the strike. A bit of a guess sometimes, but after a while, instictive! Must give the SW a go, here.

Just saw an amazing program on the ABC - David Attenborough's Life of a Dragonfly! Very informative. Fantastic photography.

Cheers

Roberta

I guess your local knowledge proved useful. Recent reports from my fly fishing club indicate many fly fishers are still struggling a bit. I know I found fishing much easier before the long drought, when there were expansive shallow bays and big weed beds.

Want to share the bad news about Lake Eucumbene?

Regards,

Bob

Hmmm, I guess maybe the different techniques may have been the cause of my better experience. I am primarily a spin man, all though I do carry the Fly Gear?

My Dad worked for many year for Snowy Hydro and still knows a lot of the guys there, the goss at the moment is they plan to drain Eucy below 10%. Still be plenty of water even that low but it sooo depressing to see it in that state.

Cheers

Windy

Hi guys

Just realised my striking of the fish was all wrong - I was lifting the rod & striking, rather than tightening the line to set the hook, then lift the rod to play the fish!! Won't get that wrong the next time!!

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Spot on.

In dry fly fishing, the concept of "striking" is completely misleading, and usually results in missed or broken-off fish.

How much force is necessary to drive home a size 14, fine wire chemically-sharpened dry fly hook?

Not much.

Regards,

Bob

Hi Roberta - saw you and Kim fishing Syd's Bay on the wednesday evening.The easterly sure made

things quiet! I came over from Eucumbene, where I had been chasing rainbows all week.Plenty of

action along the weed beds,particularly during the day and some massive caddis hatches on dark.

Muddlers got the best results and parachute adams for the midgers.

The browns over at Eucumbene are really starving without the yabbies, which have all but dissapeared.

Caught a couple that were round 60cm but weighed under 1.4kg.The country down there certainly

looks great after all the rain.Keep getting the tuition from Kim as she certainly casts a good line!

Cheers Stanno