Brisbane Waters

Ray R

G'day Raiders, Well Hutcho and I have had a few dud fishing sorties of late until today when I went for a solo flattie bash around the Ettalong Half Tide Rocks area in my little Savage Gull which has a whopping 5hp Yamaha. I started drifting around 6:00am (Hardy's Bay Pretty Beach) with freshly pumped nippers and only managed a few small whiting so I moved over to the Wagstaffe Ettalong side and got my first little flattie , back in he went and then had a great tussle with the flounder, he was a 33cm model so he went into the icy esky. Then the tide stopped and slowly started moving out and I moved to the spot Hutcho and I call the 'SUPERBANK' which are the sand flats off Ettalong just before H. T. Rocks, well the nippers lasted about five seconds they were constantly getting smashed by flatties, some small with the odd 40cm one so I had a few nice flatties in the esky. Then I drifted out to the sand flats off Lobster Beach and gave a Berkley 4" Minnow in the Lime Tiger a go and had fun for the next 2 hours scoring about 25 flatties . There were a few nice size ones around 40 to 45 cms that filled my esky and I had a ball , the hit on the SP was like a train they fought mighty hard and the last 3 or 4 gave me a good tussle, they were rewarded with freedom. It was a great morning, can't wait to do it again.... Cheers Ray R...

post-3371-1198218902_thumb.jpg

nice bag mate, i was there a last friday where a full days fishing (5am-6pm) only resulted in about 5 flatties and 2 bream, 2 flounder and 1 squid.

you definitely smashed them!

just wondering where you pump your nippers?

Just around the Pretty Beach shoreline , low tide , heaps of sandy forshore to pump.. Cheers

nice catch :thumbup:

can you reach any of those areas from the shore? What about off Ettalong Beach?

paul

No not really , we drift out in middle of the channel, on and around that big sand bank... Cheers

That's a great bag of flatties Ray. Broken Bay is a good spot and the bars fish well for them at times as you obviously know.

nice catch :thumbup:

can you reach any of those areas from the shore? What about off Ettalong Beach?

paul

You can fish from shore anywhere along the Esplanade from Ettalong Point back towards town and you'll pick up flatties on cut bait and whiting on yabbies or worms. People used to wade out over the sandbar from Ettalong Point at low tide but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone nowadays. The flow of water has changed and I'd be worried about a sandbar collapse. I have seen many amazing flatties and the odd jew caught from this position. Remember that the water between the sand and Half Tide rocks is the only channel for all fish in and out of Brisbane Water.

I used to drive right around to Pretty Beach and walk around the rocks to fish the channel from the other side and I caught plenty of flatties, tailer and bream over there. If your prepared to drive and walk for over an hour to travel about 500 metres there are plenty of good land-based positions. However, don't do it when it's peak boat traffic time as the fish are way out of the area mostly and as you know boat traffic is greatly increased these days.

Nice catch there I will be down there in a few days can u leave some flatties for me :1prop:

Hi Gibbo63,

Yes, good to see the fishing on the Coast is starting to come good. Often seems to around this time of the year.

Hope you catch plenty.

But please leave a few for us locals, who will be fishing for them in the New Year. :biggrin2:

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

• 2 weeks later...

Good onya Ray Just browsing thru a few pre Christmas reports on a borrowed computer up here in Queensland.

That's a pretty efficient haul of flathead you got there old mate. I knew you wouldn't be too far away when the flathead finally hit the sand banks in a big way around Ettalong Ray, that's for sure :thumbup:

The weather has been shocking on the north coast and even worse up here in Qld. We've only been out a few times in near three weeks of big winds and driving rain. Had hopes of getting among the mackerall off Bribie Island. There are birds around early, no boats as it turns windy everyday and just can't go out to get into them.

Managed to get five jew between us so far. Got one around 5 kilos last week which made up a nice dinner with mud crab.

On the only suitable day since we got about 40 nippers on a whiting mission to bait up for the big trevally but only got bream on the nippers and no whiting.

Saw big trevs flare up around the culvert where we were fishing as the water started to run back out. It just goes to show how important blood worms can be when you really need whiting, especially when good nippers are constantly taken by bream whereas whiting are quicker to suss out blood worms than bream.

Going back in a week or two via South West Rocks and hope to have a session with Steven, Ungrie Warnie if he's still around when I get there. Also got a nice invite to stay at Roberta's and Keiths and fish Forster before heading home.

Ray, say hello to the winter star of the Bolton's reef critters your mate Hutcho, ay.

Hope to catch up with you both on the water.

Regards

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Raiders, Well Hutcho and I have had a few dud fishing sorties of late until today when I went for a solo flattie bash around the Ettalong Half Tide Rocks area in my little Savage Gull which has a whopping 5hp Yamaha. I started drifting around 6:00am (Hardy's Bay Pretty Beach) with freshly pumped nippers and only managed a few small whiting so I moved over to the Wagstaffe Ettalong side and got my first little flattie , back in he went and then had a great tussle with the flounder, he was a 33cm model so he went into the icy esky. Then the tide stopped and slowly started moving out and I moved to the spot Hutcho and I call the 'SUPERBANK' which are the sand flats off Ettalong just before H. T. Rocks, well the nippers lasted about five seconds they were constantly getting smashed by flatties, some small with the odd 40cm one so I had a few nice flatties in the esky. Then I drifted out to the sand flats off Lobster Beach and gave a Berkley 4" Minnow in the Lime Tiger a go and had fun for the next 2 hours scoring about 25 flatties . There were a few nice size ones around 40 to 45 cms that filled my esky and I had a ball , the hit on the SP was like a train they fought mighty hard and the last 3 or 4 gave me a good tussle, they were rewarded with freedom. It was a great morning, can't wait to do it again.... Cheers Ray R...

Great catch mate

I wish the Flatty's were fireing like that in Botany ....Hopefully once the water warms up they will move in...

Anyway TOP EFFORT :biggrin2: