How To Catch Beach Worms

streve

Ok, so i have been very spoilt for years now by never fishing anywhere accept

from boats. But due to the birth of twins and the work involved i feel it would be

wrong to take the boat to Culburra this year and leave the wife while i went

boating for the day.

So its time to buy a 12foot surf rod and have a go. Some have told me that beach

worms are a prime bait from the beach, but when it comes to catching them i am

nothing short of useless.

I have never actually caught one. Thought i saw one poking its head out the sand

once so snuck up and slipped my fingers in the sand only to have a crab grab hold

of my finger.............ouch.

Any info to help me get in the game would be soooooo much appreciated. And if

anyone happens to know how to get fish from land based positions at Culburra

that would also be of great help.

Cheers

G'day PF.

Try THIS thread for some clues. Some good info in there.

Also..do a search using the search function with"worming" as the key word and

you'll see a lot of posts on this subject.

They are buggers to catch at first but with trial and error...you'll score enough for

a good session.

Good luck in your wormy quest and stay clear of those crabs :074:

Cheers,

Pete.

Mate i was lucky enough to learn as a kid and now the only worms that get the better of me are usually ones as thick as your finger and I just physically can't pull them out of the beach.

Couple of tips:

- make sure you give the worm the bait - pippies are good as long as you use the tougher part. Too soft they will take a bit and yibber yibber they are gone

- dig your fingers in about 1 and ahalf centimeters either side of the worm and aim to hit about 1-2 cm below the head - on the head also works and you break less but harder to start

- i may be a wimp but i usually need both my hands to hit the bigger ones. So i pinch the worms with one thumb and forefinger and then with the other hand pinch the pinchers to get extra strength.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Bazle brush & PF

Have just pm'd you with some worming info that may help you in your quest!! Good luck!

Roberta

Thanx roberta

Plenty of reading and valuable info there.

Turns out that my time at Culburra was spent with

huge surf and no chance of beach fishing.

But i now have my beach rod and it will certainly get

a chance to get wet in the not too distant future.

As for the worming.........i did spend some time watching

a bloke doing it whoo also gave me some tips.

I think i will feel like an engineer next time i try (lots

of theories and book reading but no practical experience)

Thanx for everones help.

Hi PF

Sounds like you are well on your way to getting your first worm! Those pesky crabs are a worry tho - they have a long whispy bit they wave around & I have been fooled into thinking they were worms too - only to be scared silly when the thing jumps out of the sand & scurries off! :(

Patience, practise and timing is all you need (and pliers, if you have arthritis in the fingers!)

Cheerio

Roberta

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PF

Sounds like you are well on your way to getting your first worm! Those pesky crabs are a worry tho - they have a long whispy bit they wave around & I have been fooled into thinking they were worms too - only to be scared silly when the thing jumps out of the sand & scurries off! :(

Patience, practise and timing is all you need (and pliers, if you have arthritis in the fingers!)

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi fellow fishraiders,

I am new to this forum! Catching beach worms sound very complicated. Just wondering are there any online video available.

cheers,

yclan

• 1 month later...

:thumbup:

Ok, so i have been very spoilt for years now by never fishing anywhere accept

from boats. But due to the birth of twins and the work involved i feel it would be

wrong to take the boat to Culburra this year and leave the wife while i went

boating for the day.

So its time to buy a 12foot surf rod and have a go. Some have told me that beach

worms are a prime bait from the beach, but when it comes to catching them i am

nothing short of useless.

I have never actually caught one. Thought i saw one poking its head out the sand

once so snuck up and slipped my fingers in the sand only to have a crab grab hold

of my finger.............ouch.

Any info to help me get in the game would be soooooo much appreciated. And if

anyone happens to know how to get fish from land based positions at Culburra

that would also be of great help.

Cheers

hello thier

don.t worry about using your fingers,i went to the tackel shop and asked for a pair of worming pliers they work realy well. :thumbup:

Bazle brush

Mate i brought a pretty good DVD called the art of beach worming by dan fuller from BCF when i moved to the coast it cast me about $30 but it has help me catch them. Also there are a few website a mate found on the net a while back but i didn't attach them to my favorites (how stuipd of me) hope the dvd helps

Dave