Nice Blackies Off Tuncurry Breakwall

arpie

Hi guys

Haven't been fishing much for blackies recently - only had the odd throw backs off Forster wall & occasional good hit, so was having a break! However, that is about to change .......

Keith went for a run on 9 Mile Beach this morning, so I thought I may as well chuck my rod in & give it a go on Tuncurry wall. Went to Spot X but the tide was running in sooooo fast, I had to fish the swimming pool side - where I had never done any good in the past! Pretty quickly I got a couple of throwbacks on weed. Then I got a big one! Eventually got him to the surface & reached for the net ..... for him to spit the hook! He would have been 40cm easily! :1badmood: We have some "Vegequarians" arriving in 2 days (vegetarians that eat fish!) so was hoping to add some fish to the larder!

After missing that one & seeing some more monsters still prowling around, I stayed there rather than going with my thought of moving over to the main breakwall! A buddy came down to me & said that they had been bagging out on really good fish near the yellow pole, so I followed him to see the blood trail! Lots of blood on the rocks there, indicating good catches.

Went home for a late breakfast & present opening, with the thought of returning at high tide to fish the slack. However it bucketed with rain today & so we stayed home instead! About 4.30pm it was clearing & I gathered some cabbage & trotted over to Tuncurry!

A young bloke had just hooked a big blackie on prawn & his buddy gaffed it for him! It would have been 40cm, I reckon! Nice fish! Pretty quickly I had my gear in the water & was on to my first fish! Not long after, I was on to my 2nd fish. These guys couldn't believe it! There were 3 of them & they had 2 fish in total. Then I got a really nice fish that snagged me onto something deep down - the rod was buckling but I couldn't retrieve it. :mad3: I didn't want to lose the fish, so backed off a bit, hoping it would release itself. It didn't. I clambered across the rocks, about 20m to the left, hoping I could pull it off the snag, but couldn't. All the while, the fish was bucking the rod up & down. By now, there were about 20 people watching from the walkway! Finally, I took a chance & gave it a real tug & the snagged line snapped, releasing the fish to the surface! :thumbup: Woohoo!! :yahoo: A really nice 39cm blackie!

Then things went really quiet for a while & I showed the young bloke how to set up for blackies & gave him some cabbage. He had a float, so weighted it up & gave it a go without luck. I reckon he'll be back again tomorrow!! They eventually started to head off just before 7pm & I was about to go, when I tossed out just once more .... I'm on! Once again, they couldn't believe it! Brought him in & Headed home! A successful Xmas fishing trip! I will smoke this lot & see if I can get a couple more for a crumbed meal as well for our guests. Sails will be here in early Jan, so hope to get him into some Breakwal blackies as well!

Xmas Day 2007 Blackiespost-2231-1198576568_thumb.jpg

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Hi guys - it was a terrific end to Chrissy Day!! Still have some tackle to put away that I got from the other half! I bought it & wrapped it up & put it under the tree, to me from him! WHen I opened it, I figured at least one of us got the surprise, & I got what I wanted! :1prop:

Went back for a couple of hours this morning to do the last of the out, hoping for some more fun - but it didn't happen. They were there, I could see them parading back & forth - big fish, too! Ne'er mind - a good reason for getting out of bed early on Boxing Day! May have to try again this evening!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Beachwormer - glad you like the Vegequarians - my trout fishing buddy in Canberra put me onto that term, as she is one too!! I thought it was brilliant!

Bazle brush - if you are ever up this way, give me a yahoo! We can hit the water together! I am sure you'd be able to teach me more than I could teach you! :P

I should be over there as we speak, but Keith took off for a swim & didn't wait for me to get off the phone!! :ranting2: Not funny, Jan! Hmmm, he has just returned ..... still an hour of so I could fish ...... nah! Plenty of fish in the sea!

Cheers

Roberta

G'day Roberta,

just found Fishraider and I love it! We just got back from my sisters at Scone and fishing at Glenbawn, pretty quite up there on the fish front, but a beautiful place to fish. Just a quick question, I am coming up at the end of January and would love to try the Luderick fishing, I know it's a sin to ask, but where is a good place to get some weed for bait? BTW, I catch my mullet near the first oyster lease in the first channel just around from the Tuncurry Boat Ramp. Only on a runout tide, with plenty of soaked bread crumbs for berley. Thanks for the reports as we get up there as much as possible, we love it up there!

Thanks

Hi Jon

I usually cut from the top of the neck 'cos it is easier to hold them securely with a towell & I don't scratch myself! When I used to cut their throats & break their necks, I always got lots of nasty scratches that really hurt & also dropped a few & lost them - hence using the towell so they don't slip & I gradually refined my killing method to what I do now!! It also bleeds & cuts their neck in the one movement! They make a funny 'pharting' noise when the knife cuts thru to their throat, so you know when to stop!

Hi Lukeanna

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider!! For regular weed, it is an open secret that you can get it at low tide on the Forster Breakwall, just past the Coastal Patrol. There is a tidal pond there that it usually grows in. It gets very scarce from about March on, so if you come up then, bring plenty of your own local stuff - some for you & some for me!! :thumbup::yahoo: That is when people start shutting up about where they get their weed!!

Give me a yahoo when you come up & we can hit the water together!! Most of our guests should have left by then!! Yum! Mullet! Great in the smoker (as are luderick!)

See ya

Roberta

Edited by Roberta