E-tec Motor In Regards To Downrigging

kilp

Hey Fellas

This is that other thread I said I was gonna start , so here it is.

A friend of mine recently told me that it is hard to downrig live squid or yakkas, on any E-tec motor, because the E-Tec, at its slowest , goes too fast. Does anyone agree with this ?

I went out on a test drive today on a bar crusher and it had a 90 E-Tec, I drove it and just put it into forward gear , and to me it definatley seemed slow enough to downrig......

Is the E-tech more explosive than a 4 stoke in the way it takes off?????

I noticed we planned alot quicker than I am use to and I thought to myself , maybe its the E-Tec????

Yet again I would appreciate anyone who has ridden on or owns an E-tec to give me their two bobs worth. as I am still confused as to why my mate would tell me that.

Cheers

Kilp

Edited by kilp

Most larger horsepowered motors go too fast for trolling slowly ,even my Suzuki 50 4 Stroke goes a little quick for small harddbodies.

Cheers Stewy

there can but many factors

.......you can over come this a little by raising tilt on motor ....

Well said Johnno :thumbup: That statement does show a lot of common sense. Yes not many fishos have the intuition to simply raise a petrol motor when trolling. This decreases and quietens the idling speed for slower trolling and creates an ongoing surface disturbance in the burley trail behind the wake area and this actually does attract the interest of a good variety of the not so shy predators, particularly when they are schooled up with supporting numbers.

Cheers mate

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I have a 75 Etec , adn at idle in gear , it does about 3 MPH.

Yes , the Etec is more "explosive " off the mark compared to a 4 stroke , as it makes power on every stroke , not every second stroke .

As Johnno mentioned , if the idle trolling speed is too high , you can lower it a little by raising the engine a bit , but be careful , as the more you raise it , the less responsive the steering becomes! Also , you have to keep the water intake submerged , or you will get a hot engine alarm ! ( or a melted motor if you are running an older technology engine ).

Ross

Hi Guys,

I have 150 Hp etec and downrigger only once so far and had engine in idle and troll about less then 2 knotts which I though was fine. I had the motor trimmed all the way down as it did make steering a but easier. mind you I am only a very beginner so may have been doing wrong. The idle speed is the speed I use to drive on and off my trailer.

If you check past threads over the years on this site you will notice alot of guys troll downriggers with "normal 2 strokes" and all seem fine and get a bucket load by some of the experienced guys.

If you also look at the torgue curve of the etec it will produce more power down low and get onto the plane heaps quicker which is one of the reasons I went etec and what you experienced on demo day.

enjoy

Cheers

Scrat Rat

Hi Kilp, as all the guys have said ALOT will depend on the boat an outboard is one, but I can guarenteee you one thing, the E-TEC range of outboards are the slowest idling outboard made and if STD they are too fast running in terms of RPM you can easily slow them down via the laptop. If the E-TEC is idling too fast still, you will have to employ one of the suggestions the guys have made like the troll easy.

You seem to have answered your own question though and said that on the boat you tested the speed at idle seemed fine to you for downrigging.

The low down torque of an E-TEC will always outperform a same size HP 4-Stroke for ease of planing the boat.

Cheers,

Huey.