Senseless Destruction

PJ Garn

Hi Raiders

Just thought I'd share this one with you. I fished Yarramundi this morning... not much happening down there (although I managed a nice small Carp) and the weed (mainly Elodia) is now starting to chock up this stretch of the river!!! We need a damn good FLOOD!!! :(:(

On my way back to the car I decide to do a bit of a reckie for future trips and came across a couple of boys fishing below the road bridge just before the river doglegs left... they were fishing for mullet in a lovely little run of water. Upon greeting them they made comment that someone had left few fish on the bank nearby, as at the same time my nose registered them as being DEAD!!! I went to investigate the stench, half expecting the carcass of a Carp or two (that annoys me enough) but to my horror I am faced with the frames of three Freshwater Catfish (Tandanus Tandanus), a couple of Carp and a Freshwater Mullet!!!! :1badmood::1badmood:

I just don't understand the senseless slaughter of any fish let alone THREE Freshwater Catfish, they are a rare catch in our river system and though I have caught them on occasion; to catch this many is unusual... what a pity that some uncaring, moronic, uneducated, (I can't call them a fisherman) TWAT had to have this good fortune!!!! :mad3::mad3:

I didn't take any photos of this carnage as I really don't want to be reminded of it but I believe this attitude is fueled by the education by the DPI of anglers to kill the Carp they catch... the fact that we are told to kill anything has serious moral implications for me and the senseless destructions of any animal is just wrong. I guess that this TWAT thinks that it's his or her right to kill any species they catch!!! It's a pity I've got to share this planet and closer to home MY RIVER with this person!!!!

What are your thoughts???

Cheers

PJ Garn

Edited by PJ Garn

AGREE 100% WITH YOU PJ. THE MORE YOU CARE ABOUT THIS ISSUE, THE MORE IT HURTS, WHEN YOU COME ACROSS THIS VANDALISM. WHETHER IT IS RUBBISHING THE ENVIRONMENT OR NOT HEEDING OUR RULES ON FISH CATCH.

KEEP UP YOUR POSTS AND WRITING THOSE POEMS. IT ALL HELPS. MY PET HATE IS THE AMOUNT OF PLASTIC AND GLASS DRINK CONTAINERS THAT ARE DISCARDED ALL OVER THE PLACE . IT IS GETTING WORSE.

I BELIEVE IT IS TIME TO LOBBY GOVERNMENT ABOUT REFUNDABLE DEPOSITS ON ALL DRINK CONTAINERS ETC. THIS MAY HELP TO CUT DOWN THIS BLIGHT ON OUR BEAUTIFUL WATERWAYS ETC.

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE CAUGHT WITHOUT A CURRENT FISHING LICENCE. I HATE PAYING MY FEES AND SEEING SOMEONE GETTING OFF WITHOUT A CAUTION OR A FINE .

DOES NOT THE MONEY FROM OUR FISHING LICENCES HELP TOWARD EMPLOYING FISHING INSPECTORS.

CHEERS BART. :1fishing1:

Edited by bart

Some people are God's little mistakes. If it were just the catties & they'd been filleted...OK in principle, tho I disagree with the disposal! They are arguably the tastiest FW fish in the country.

If it was just the carp, OK.

But slaughter for slaughter's sake :1badmood::1badmood::1badmood: no way, bad karma

PJ have you fished that stretch at night, with no moon? Tandanus live in 'nests' and are nocturnal, the stocks could be quite healthy, they are an incredibly hardy & adaptable fish and still thrive in drought, crazy temps, damming, chronic overcrowding, etc

Some food for thought.

Jig

Hi Raiders

Just thought I'd share this one with you. I fished Yarramundi this morning... not much happening down there (although I managed a nice small Carp) and the weed (mainly Elodia) is now starting to chock up this stretch of the river!!! We need a damn good FLOOD!!! :(:(

On my way back to the car I decide to do a bit of a reckie for future trips and came across a couple of boys fishing below the road bridge just before the river doglegs left... they were fishing for mullet in a lovely little run of water. Upon greeting them they made comment that someone had left few fish on the bank nearby, as at the same time my nose registered them as being DEAD!!! I went to investigate the stench, half expecting the carcass of a Carp or two (that annoys me enough) but to my horror I am faced with the frames of three Freshwater Catfish (Tandanus Tandanus), a couple of Carp and a Freshwater Mullet!!!! :1badmood::1badmood:

I just don't understand the senseless slaughter of any fish let alone THREE Freshwater Catfish, they are a rare catch in our river system and though I have caught them on occasion; to catch this many is unusual... what a pity that some uncaring, moronic, uneducated, (I can't call them a fisherman) TWAT had to have this good fortune!!!! :mad3::mad3:

I didn't take any photos of this carnage as I really don't want to be reminded of it but I believe this attitude is fueled by the education by the DPI of anglers to kill the Carp they catch... the fact that we are told to kill anything has serious moral implications for me and the senseless destructions of any animal is just wrong. I guess that this TWAT thinks that it's his or her right to kill any species they catch!!! It's a pity I've got to share this planet and closer to home MY RIVER with this person!!!!

Cheers

PJ Garn

Yeah PJ I just dont know what goes thru peoples heads.. I was throwing a few squid jigs under Captain Cook Bridge the other night and saw a dead Flattie on the rocks,would of been a good 40cm..

I just cant understand why someone would do this...People like this should NOT fish our waterways :1badmood:

Freshwater Catfish, they are a rare catch in our river system and though I have caught them on occasion; to catch this many is unusual...

PJ Garn

haha thats funny.... they are far from rare. i got 4 in 1 carp session not long ago and rarley have a carp fish without catching a catfish.

on another thought,if u want to see some real Senseless Destruction you should really get down to the annual "fish fest" held on the nepean river and the rowing club being the weigh in location. they hire a large skip bin to dispose of carp(good),mullet,your so called rare catfish(thats a giggle) and even some bass in there. the carp go to the charlie carp fertilizer company(great mob) and the mullet sold as salt water bait.

oh by the way i hold the current bully mullet tittle at 2.5kg

Are you serious Karnage?

Do they really encourage participants in the 'fish fest' to take catfish and bass and then throw the dead bodies in a skip? That's utterly reprehensible - carp I can understand (as to release them is to damage our environment), and taking mullet is justifiable if they are to be used as bait - but healthy native fish being killed for no reason?

Can you clarify as I'm partly convinced I've misunderstood your post.

Are you serious Karnage?

Do they really encourage participants in the 'fish fest' to take catfish and bass and then throw the dead bodies in a skip? That's utterly reprehensible - carp I can understand (as to release them is to damage our environment), and taking mullet is justifiable if they are to be used as bait - but healthy native fish being killed for no reason?

Can you clarify as I'm partly convinced I've misunderstood your post.

they encourage catch and release for bass(bring your bass to the weigh in live) but every year there are dead bass and catfish in that skip bin. i have no reason to lie about this.

i hope this is adequate clarification for you.

Edited by karnage

haha thats funny.... they are far from rare. i got 4 in 1 carp session not long ago and rarley have a carp fish without catching a catfish.

Karnage

FYI-Tandanus Tandanus conservation status is vulnerable. I don't know what you use for bait or where you are fishing but these fish are not a common catch in the Nepean system!!! I have fished the river about three times a week fo the past six months and haven't encountered one!!! But I didn't start this thread to discuss how rare or not they are I started it to discuss the moronic behaviour of some of our fellow anglers!!! :ranting2::ranting2:

I'm with you on the Fish fest held on the Nepean, it's a drag and kill comp mainly and that's the reason I don't fish it!!! :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Maybe I'll catch you on the river!!!!

Cheers

PJ Garn

p.j mate how do you do

its bazle brush the dude that showed you the "quick way" back to the weir, we had a talk about this last time

we saw each other and i agree with you mate 100%. mate i no this old trady that i work with he's 65 years old trust me you can tell he is the hardest man iv ever seen. he is identical to clint eastwood

he served in vietnam if you ever ask him about vietnam he would beat the hell out of you

and if he ever seen anybody kill anything even an ant he goes crazy. "what did that ant ever do to you mate?".... punch. We live in the west mate so the nepean river is our port hacking and sydney harbour, so we have to make the most of what we've got. catching a bass to us is like catching a snapper or so on.

:1fishing1::mad3::thumbdown:

Without a name and not knowing this person, I heard someone mention being fined up at the entrance for what I'm assuming to be exceeding the limit of whiting. From what I overheard, they went on about the money received from giving the whiting to others made up for the costs without a worry, with the view that they'd get back to doing what it was that they were doing, with a fine seeming to not be enough...that's another sad issue.

This thing that you mention PJ, really disappoints me also. Just seeing a dead fish left on a beach or practically murdered hurts me. I recall seeing a number of dead seahorses along the beaches around port kembla one year, that really hurt me. The only thing I thought to have caused it would've been pollution. A few leatherjacket were also dead on the beach also. Horrible sight :(

Absolute complete and total BASTARDS!! Is all I can say. I didnt want to read this topic as I knew it would infuriate me. I dont know what goes through these peoples heads, but obviously they havent evolved beyond the mentality of a caveman (and even they probably had more sense than that). As for killing the carp, I'm torn as to what I'd do if I ever caught one. On one hand I know they cause a lot of destruction to the native habitat but on the other hand I dont like killing anything Im not going to eat (and from what I hear carp aren't the most palatable fish). Maybe I'd make a compromise and take it home for the cat, as long as the meat is not wasted I'm happy. Even if I come across a dead fish and theres seagulls pecking at it I feel better about it.