Small River Day Trip Over The Break

Jamiel1000

took the wife and a mate over the mountains for a day of trouting over the break.

Left home at 4.30 and arrived at the river at around 7.30 and comenced the set up of gear and the walk.

Spotted plenty of fish but had no luck at first, walked up to a larger pool where more risers where spotted and the wife nearly picked up 2 fish on HB lures.

Couple of minutes later I saw a nice rainbow swim past my feet which spotted my black wooly bugger resting on the bottom abot 20 feet in front of me. 1 small strip is all it took and he darted over and scoffed it down, then the airiel display started. after a few runs and a few minutes I landed the trout and man was I pleased with myself. My second trout on fly ever. We saw a big tiger snake swimming across the river not far up stream from us which started to float down stream towards us (we couldn't get out of the water quick enough).

later on thetr where some small trout caught (keyring size) and that was it for the day.

We noticed larger trout seemed to be butting the HB lures but not biting them seemed like they were chasing them off.

Any way it was great to get out and give it ago, will head up agian soon.

Have pics but can't load them for some reason.

will try again soon.

Edited by Yes Dear

Well done Yes Dear!! Isn't it terrific when you see them, do the movement & get the result?? Used to do that in NZ when I trout fished there. The big ones had a 'beat' & it was just a matter of getting your fly in place & wait for him to come past again & jiggle it, then play it!

Those snakes are a worry - I saw a big brown swimming across Boondooma Dam once & it scarpered up the hill towards our camp! Big worry!

Roberta

yes dear i told you the snakes are just as good as the bullsharks we fish with here in the local. hahahaha.

when we going for another day trip up there?

you know the answer

1 when I finish the front deck (2009 probably)

2 when we get back from snowboarding in Japan (can you fly fish in Japan? maybe I should sneak the loomis in the snowboard bag). :074:

Edited by Yes Dear

Nice rainbow there mate :thumbup:

Have fun in Japan

There is trout fishing in Japan but like most of the fishing over there it is subject to HEAVY pressure

Cheers

BM

Sounds like a very relaxing session apart from Mr Tiger Snake! Nice Rainbow too.

About Japan, I do recall reading a chapter about Fly Fishing in Japan for Trout in one of Phillip Weigalls books (either 'The Call of the River' or 'Trout Stories') where they were catching what sounded to be and interesting strain of Trout (Cherry?) and the native Grayling species. It sure sounded good but I remember some comments about crowds in some places. I will dig it up tonight and see what it says :thumbup:

Cheers

Windy

OK, found it at last. It was in Trout Stories by Phil Weigall. He was based out of a town called Nikko north of Tokyo on the Daiyo River. He was catching Cherry Salmon and a Grayling species. He did mention a nearby Lake that held Browns, Brooks and Lake Trout.

The fishing pressure he mentioned was high but but it was all catch and release and there was plenty of the Cherry Salmon around (up to a couple of pound I think he mentioned).

Certainly sounded fun!

Cheers

Windy

you always see dudes in japan fishing the little rivers, but I've never seen any of them with any fish. I haven't been out of the main areas though, but it seems like fishing in Australia is a lot better. I'd concentrate on the snowboarding. Hit up the halfpipe for me :D