Nepean Carp Session

karnage

WARNING!!

OK guys...we've been through this before.

Remember, it is up to the individual fisho as to how and what he does with any carp caught and while some have views that ALL fish should be released... Fisheries have listed the carp as a Class 3 noxious species in NSW under the noxious species provisions of the Fisheries Management Act 1994.

As long as the carp is disposed of in an appropriate manner and not just left on the bank to rot, there shouldn't be a problem.

Also remember..we at Fishraider have strict RULESon C&R views (see rule # 15)

15. No criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports

Enough said!!

Pete.

Hey Karnage,

Excellent result.

Mate if you got a compost bin stick them in there. If they get smelley chuck in some lime.

I put all fish frames etc in my compost and it generates the most fantastic rich soil.

If not just dig a hole under a shrub that likes nutrients like a hibiscus whack em in there and bingo.

Good result for keeping native fish top of the food chain. The only good carp is a dead one in your compost.

Cheers :thumbup:

i presume a night session was done, if you dont mind me asking where abouts was this as im keen to get into a few also.

twas a day/nighter. mate if u fish 4 kings like ur name certainly suggests,you shouldnt lower yourself to carp fishing.the reason i do is because the river is handy being 5 mins from home.

i have caught 1kg trevally and 1 kg seurgon fish that pull harder then one of these 8kg vermon,the river is full of flies(im talking millions), mozzies that are immune to any insect repellent, the water itself stinks due to the high pollution levels,you will struggle to find a area to fish from as 80% of this river is choked with weed. and there are many deadly snakes.also ive had my car broken into down there.

im starting to think that the nepean would be better off being concreted in.

Edited by karnage

twas a day/nighter. mate if u fish 4 kings like ur name certainly suggests,you shouldnt lower yourself to carp fishing.the reason i do is because the river is handy being 5 mins from home.

i have caught 1kg trevally and 1 kg seurgon fish that pull harder then one of these 8kg vermon,the river is full of flies(im talking millions), mozzies that are immune to any insect repellent, the water itself stinks due to the high pollution levels,you will struggle to find a area to fish from as 80% of this river is choked with weed. and there are many deadly snakes.also ive had my car broken into down there.

as a rith boy my sen mate i couldnt agree with you more with what you say here thats wy

i chose to stop fishing in the river but six hours what a waist of 6 hours of your life mate

i feel sorry for you 6 hours just to prove a :074::074::074::074: point

WARNING!!

OK guys...we've been through this before.

Remember, it is up to the individual fisho as to how and what he does with any carp caught and while some have views that ALL fish should be released... Fisheries have listed the carp as a Class 3 noxious species in NSW under the noxious species provisions of the Fisheries Management Act 1994.

As long as the carp is disposed of in an appropriate manner and not just left on the bank to rot, there shouldn't be a problem.

Also remember..we at Fishraider have strict RULESon C&R views (see rule # 15)

15. No criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports

Enough said!!

Pete.

pete if you read those comments again, I think you will find they are supportive!

Caine, what we are trying to avoid is this to-ing and fro-ing of of whether it's good to release carp or kill them.

It is still up to the individual fisherman which way he or she chooses to deal with any carp, just like it is with any legal capture of any fish.

Bottom line is that Fishraider rules state there will be no criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports. That's it as far as Fishraider is concerned.

We are never all going to be in 100% agreement over this carp issue, so let's not waste bandwidth with this argument.

Cheers,

Pete.

Gdayyyyyyyyy All,

Pete has misinterpreted this post about the Carp and how they should and have to be disposed of.

That is a fact of life that they are an introduced species which destroy native fish habitat and that is well documented.

Please in future if you do go carp fishing and they are a sporting fish to target,dispose of them humanely and quickly.

This is very tough thing to do if you are into catch and release,but it must be done to preserve our native fishes and waterways.

Thats all thats needs to be said on the subject and thankyou all for taking the time to read this.

This is not a post about Mallacoota Pete and how he moderates,just a small oversite and thats all there is to it.

Pete and I discussed this earlier and we are now in agreeance that no posts in this topic are out of context.

Regards Swordfisherman

i also live near the river and fish it at least once a fortnight, kings are better but when i need a fix the river is just 10mins away and dont cost me anything

Edited by Kingies till i die

OK i know i'm steping into dangerous teritory here but as i read this post my heart sank. Lets straighten one thing up first this IS NOT a carp thing, i'll touch on that latter. However such a negitive opinion about YOUR local fishing hole (and i don't mean just the fellas who have posted but the thousands of river uses that feel the same way)it is surely gunna see this STILL great waterway get get less respect and in turn get worse.

This is in no way an attack on the post by Karnage (ironic name though hehe) but.

*Where are you gunna go in Australia and not find flys and mozzies near water.

*Not find snakes in the scrub (near water).

*Find a river system that is not home to carp.

*Park your car and be sure it will still be just as you left it.

As for polution i've been fishing this river since 1978, and i say it's on the way back from the state of the early eighties, as for the rubbish left on the banks PJ Garn and i can only pick up so much (would love some help).

Having a shot at Kingies T I D for wasting his time was uncalled for if you know the bloke. This fella spends a lot of time down OUR river and appreciates for what it STILL is. Even though he'd rather be out catching kingies he still knows a good thing when he see's it.

So what i'm saying is, This is OUR / YOUR river it is how it is and it's still great. How we refer to our river will affect how others treat it, the gripes some of us have with the river are not exclusive to the Neapean.

Not wanting to take away from Karnage's report (whoops probably too late) nice catch of a carp there and you must certainly know your stuff to get a catch like that.

As for Carp they are here to stay like it or loath it. So let's make the best of what were stuck with. Ya wanna dong e'm ya wanna let e'm go, what ever ( nobody has been persicuted for releaseing one apparently, but i prefer mine fast asleep). And a very small round of applause of the british aclaimatisation society.

Now as for bass i got 4 in 1.5 hrs last weekend taking a test paddle in the kayak, two stonkers and all within 500m of the boat ramp. Yeah its hard to get past the weed but they are back. and some of us are lovin it.

Now i know we can all have days where we come home dejected and bit filthy about a certain patch of water but.

We must realise that Fish Raider is now HUGE and that a negitive spin on OUR struggling waterway could only do it more damage.

Now if you don't mind i think i need to be alone, Sorry if any of you think i dribbled on a bit but hey lets be positive and not damn OUR river to hell :1crybaby:

Lata Raidas.

Waynie

kiwi wayne i feel u have let yourself down.... lets get a few things clear here.

Firstly i wasn't having a go at "kingies till i die" please dont make false, propesterous statments about me like that in the future. I in no way made any derogatory coments personally directed at him or anyone else and i have sent him a pm to give him some of my carp/catfish hot spots.(hopefully he will help eradicate this vermon species!)

As for my attitude towards the nepean,i have posted some pics below i took at devlins lane last year and belive me this stretch of the river and many others is in a similer state at the momnent. Sure when we get big rain it temporaly clears the weed from the surface but it dosnt take long before its choking right up again.I have a mirage drive kayak and i can't use the pedals below the weir after october due to this problem.

So im some what perplexed as to how you can expect me to pretend that we have a pristine waterway here.

Would you eat the fish outta some of them smelly stagnant pools? i reckon it would be safer eating prawns and catfish from the canals of thailand.

Despite the issues i have mentioned in this post and my above posts i certainlly agree that the fishing is productive for all species, the bass are starting to show up consistintly in the sort of sizes that was around in the late 80's early 90's and there is more carp,mullet and catfish as ever. so we are lucky in that regard.

if there is a good side to having the river choked up with weed,it is that there is big numbers of fish in the weedless pools in the middle and the pockets on the shore line so it kinda makes it easier to find fish but hard to fight fish.

I didnt relize how sensitive some BLOKES are on this forum so i'll try to keep that in mind when posting in the future.

kiwi waynie well done on your bass session in your kayak, to get two big bass in 1.5 hours is good going.

Hopefully u will post a report and pics up?

hope theres no hard feelings kiwi dan and PJ. im sure we will cross paths down one of our local 'swims' in the future and hopefully exchange pleasantries over a cold beer and a 10kg+ carp.(i'll even happily watch Garn release it cause im nice bloke)

post-4618-1200018147_thumb.jpg

post-4618-1200018243_thumb.jpg

Edited by karnage

nice catch of carp there mate even if it is a menice fish at the end of the day fishing fishing and i love it. So i don't think for a second that anyone that goes fishing for carp is wasting there time cause i enjoy it also they are great fun to catch and more people should try it out...

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

i can say a good thing about this carp thing is. the penrith council get lots out of it

the carp found there way in to the rowing regator and the local centrelink provides

the people to sit there and fish them. out great stuff what a profesion get paid to be

a fisherman thats the way and the way it should be get paid

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I'm sorry I missed this debate whilst it was hot... I was down at Durras Lake fishing pristine waters!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Firstly, I have no qualms with anybody doing with Carp what they feel or have been led to believe is right but what I do object to (and this doesn't just apply to Carp) is the nature of the photography that we often see posted. Rather than seeing fish being held by gills, mouths, tails or flapping on the ground or bottom of a boat it would be much more appealing to see the fish held respectfully!!! To see the fish photographed with it's capture whilst alive not only shows the true beauty of the creature but I believe shows the angler in a better light no matter what the destiny of the catch!!!

I'm not going to get into another debate over Carp (if you know me you know my views) I'm just going to continue catching them and enjoy doing so!!! :thumbup: Bazle how do I get a job at Centelink???

Cheers as always

PJ Garn

PS. Karnage if I catch up with you on the river I'll be glad to have chat but as for the cold one... sorry I don't drink when fishing!!! (It's mainly drink (alcohol) containers we pick up during our clean ups!!!!)

Hi Guys

I'm sorry I missed this debate whilst it was hot... I was down at Durras Lake fishing pristine waters!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Firstly, I have no qualms with anybody doing with Carp what they feel or have been led to believe is right but what I do object to (and this doesn't just apply to Carp) is the nature of the photography that we often see posted. Rather than seeing fish being held by gills, mouths, tails or flapping on the ground or bottom of a boat it would be much more appealing to see the fish held respectfully!!! To see the fish photographed with it's capture whilst alive not only shows the true beauty of the creature but I believe shows the angler in a better light no matter what the destiny of the catch!!!

I'm not going to get into another debate over Carp (if you know me you know my views) I'm just going to continue catching them and enjoy doing so!!! :thumbup: Bazle how do I get a job at Centelink???

Cheers as always

PJ Garn

PS. Karnage if I catch up with you on the river I'll be glad to have chat but as for the cold one... sorry I don't drink when fishing!!! (It's mainly drink (alcohol) containers we pick up during our clean ups!!!!)

Well its certainly nice of you 2 finally join us PJ (aka mr.carp)

just 4 the record i also pick up rubbish when fishing down the river, i just dont take photos of it and carry on and on about it in every post i make.

my way of showing respect 4 these fish is to make my blade work as fast and clean as possible.

i dont really see what more one can do.

the issue i have with your carp fishing tatics is the ultra light line you use. i wont accept that you've never been busted off or snaged up by a good size carp in any of your past fishing sessions.this would be inevitable with your weak drag settings and the amount of snags in the river. it dosnt take a nassa scientist to figure out your leaving a hook and possibly a long length of line in the fish. its fine to claim your sports fishing and giving the carp an equal chance but to leave a fish to potentially slowly die in this manner in my opinion is nothing short of barbaric. in fresh water your hooks will take ages to rust out. i cant see how a carp can spit or rid a hook which has the barb deeply embedded in its mouth,throat or guts.(last time i checked they didnt have hands or pliers)

im not suggesting you should fish with 20lb mono and scull drag the vermins in, i just think you should find a balance between light and heavy.(i find 12lb fluro-carbon ideal)

maybe this is something you should take on board, you might even find yourself posting some pics of some larger respectfully held carp than you have in the past.

thanks 4 the response.

,cheers karnage

Edited by karnage

Well its certainly nice of you 2 finally join us PJ (aka mr.carp)

just 4 the record i also pick up rubbish when fishing down the river, i just dont take photos of it and carry on and on about it in every post i make.

my way of showing respect 4 these fish is to make my blade work as fast and clean as possible.

i dont really see what more one can do.

the issue i have with your carp fishing tatics is the ultra light line you use. i wont accept that you've never been busted off or snaged up buy a good size carp in any of your past fishing sessions.this would be inevitable with your weak drag settings and the amount of snags in the river. it dosnt take a nassa scientist to figure out your leaving a hook and possibly a long length of line in the fish. its fine to claim your sports fishing and giving the carp an equal chance but to leave a fish to potentially slowly die in this manner in my opinion is nothing short of barbaric. in fresh water your hooks will take ages to rust out. i cant see how a carp can spit or rid a hook which has the barb deeply embedded in its mouth,throat or guts.

im not suggesting you should fish with 20lb mono and scull drag the vermins in, i just think you should find a balance betwwen light and heavy.(i find 12lb fluro-carbon ideal)

maybe this is something you should take on board, you might even find yourself posting some pics of some larger respectfully held carp than you have in the past.

thanks 4 the reponse.

,cheers karnage

Karnage

I'm glad you dispatch your catches as cleanly and quickly as practically possible!!! There are some that have gloated about the pleasure they receive from KILLING??? :1badmood:

For the record a hook left in a fish even in freshwater will not hinder the fish and will rust away or be expelled in a short time. Also most break offs occur at the weakest point "The knot" hence long lengths of line are not left trailing fish who have been successful in outwitting my fishing techniques!!! Also with the techniques I employ 99% of hookup are in the mouth... I don't deep hook fish!!!

Robson031.jpg

I'm grateful that you also pick up after others as we do... I wished more did!!! It's more than annoying when you return to a spot after less than a week to find it in a worse state than you left it!!! I don't feel I harp on about this issue but by raising it to others attention next time they may think before they act. BTW you've only posted one thread!!!!!!We were up the Gorge on Saturday and the amount of rubbish left in this beautiful location was woeful unfortunately we hadn't taken any bags with us so were unable to clean up but next time we certainly will!!!

Cheers for your response

PJ Garn