Oops... Here's The Nannygai

slinkymalinky

Nice fish mate,

I bet that red fish tasted fantastic,

and the cobes would have been a great battle.

Good job on posting the pictures your doing better than I have so far, I haven't put up any....

come to think of it I don't have a camera either.

• 2 months later...

That's a magnificent fish.

What size line?

As an ex Townsvillite, I used to do regular expeditions out to Grub reef - about 50 miles out. I was lucky to be given the co-ordinates of a sunken trawler. No point fishing 2 hooks unless you were superman. Some great memories - Brewer reef, Magnetic Island, Palm Island, etc. When the sea was too rough there were plenty of opportunities in the esturine system. Recommend it to anyone thinking of travelling north. God I loved that place, magnificent reef system!

Is Dale Weldon still around? When I left he was just opening a new tackle shop. Great bloke, expert fisherman and a wealth of information.

If you want to get on to some nice reddies then catch up with Joe Sikora - one hell of a cowboy, only person I know that ties the 100lb handline to his toe whilst sleeping - still catches twice as many fish as the next person.

That's a magnificent fish.

What size line?

As an ex Townsvillite, I used to do regular expeditions out to Grub reef - about 50 miles out. I was lucky to be given the co-ordinates of a sunken trawler. No point fishing 2 hooks unless you were superman. Some great memories - Brewer reef, Magnetic Island, Palm Island, etc. When the sea was too rough there were plenty of opportunities in the esturine system. Recommend it to anyone thinking of travelling north. God I loved that place, magnificent reef system!

Is Dale Weldon still around? When I left he was just opening a new tackle shop. Great bloke, expert fisherman and a wealth of information.

If you want to get on to some nice reddies then catch up with Joe Sikora - one hell of a cowboy, only person I know that ties the 100lb handline to his toe whilst sleeping - still catches twice as many fish as the next person.

G'day Mariner,

Only just saw your post. I'm up the coast on holidays at the moment. I don't know too many of the people on the island apart from my family and their friends... is that shop on the island or in Townsville. I've yet to take my own boat up there... I've been spoiled and taken out be locals to all their best 'secret' marks (many of which are now locked away in marine parks... oh well). The Nanny in the pick was caught on 10kg braid fished over a WIlson Live Fibre rod with a 6500 bait runner. The day I caught that we had a hot bite going with reds, Bludger Trevally, Mackerel and all sorts of reef fish coming over the side non-stop all day. After getting sick of the trevally I cut one in half and put the 1kg bait back down on the same rig and 5 minutes later hooked up to a 26kg Cobia (the pic's around here somewhere but I'm not on my computer at the mo). A 45 minute fight and we got it on deck. The other half of the same trev got nailed almost straight away again but whatever I was connected to finally busted me off after about another 45 minutes without me having gained much line. A BIG cod I think.

Cheers, Slinky