New Boat Opinions

Grantm

GDAY Fellas,

Looking to purchase a new boat soon. Going to get something for the family that is a bit multi purpose and ive come down to a few options. What do you guys think of these boats, bad, good , faults etc.

Quintrex Coast runner 460

Ally Craft Bay Raider 455

Stacer Sunmaster 460

Sea Jay Capri 475

Sea Jay Classic 475

I like all of these runabouts and they are similar in price, Quinnie probably the dearest down to Ally id say. They all look pretty much the same. Takes a 50 whatever depending on where you buy.

Anyone got any thoughts ?

Edited by Grantm

Guest Target

Grant

Add a bluefin to that list. I have been looking/wishing for an upgrade to my tinnie for a while (as soon as I can settle with the ex-wife and sell the house :( ) and the upgrade dosnt look like happening anytime soon :1badmood:

Bluefin Boats

As far as I can see, they have excellent design and finnish, and I am starting to see a fair few out on the water. As a testimount to their value, the waiting list for delivery last year was longer than most other boats (better now though)

With quinnies nowdays you get a lot less legnth for your $ than others, but they are finnished very nicely.

Just my thoughts

Adrian

We almost bought an ally craft bar raider but ended up with the signature instead. :thumbup: So that would be my pick. Also check out the clark boats, they were our first choice, but availability wasn't good at the time for us. :thumbdown:

Guest Jocool

When I bought my boat, I looked real hard at the Sea Jay range. They seem to be a very well built boat and all the people I have heard that own them have been more than happy with the product and the after sales service. After sales service is a huge issue to my way of thinking.

Like has been mentioned, you don't get much boat for your buck with the Quinnies, and after hearing some of the warranty issues on this site alone, it would give me second thoughts. Ditto for the Stacer, being out of the same factory and all.

The Ally is also a good boat from all reports, although they tend to go with the thinner alloys in a comporable boat to other makers.

Now just to throw a spanner in the works, did you consider a custom job? Thats what I did and I am more than happy. I ended up with more boat than I could have gotten for the same money, and made out of plate to boot. There is a plethora of boat makers here in NSW so warranty would not be an issue. And some makers have dealers as well that can make the warranty issue a better proposition. In NSW Predator, Vision and Excalibur all spring to mind as a decent, solid and honest craft.

Good luck with the hunt. :thumbup:

Have you considered the Stejecraft Sportfisher 4.75m.

It’s a fibreglass cuddy cabin, powered comfortably by 60hp, plenty of room to fish, stable at rest and not expensive. They can be towed by a 4 cylinder car is need be.

A braked trailer is not required. Cuddy cabin gives shelter and great storage. Easy access to anchor. Launched and retrieved easily if your on your own. Rear corner seats lift out when you want to fish. Can fish the river, bays, outside or a day with the family.

Chose the Stejecraft because it was value for money, good quality finish and it was great for the family and fishing. (Price competitive with the alloy boats). Cuddy cabin lets you have a rocket launcher for the rods. High sides so there great with the kids, plenty of free board and no problem fishing. Gunnels are wide enough for rod holders 6 off not a problem.

I looked at a few boats of similar size including aluminium. Went to fibreglass because it gave a better ride in the chop you can get in Broken Bay and the mouth of Pittwater, plus the added shelter and storage of a cuddy cabin. Hence moved away from a runabout and never looked back.

I often go fishing with 3 on board.

Or

A day with the family = 2 children, wife, beach towels, 2 esky’s, 2 boogie boards, 1 knee board and a couple of sports bags, tackle box, 6 rods (just in case) plus the occasional friend to one of the children. With all that we are quite comfortable.

The boat is rated for 5 adults, and 2 children will = 1 adult. The only negative is some may feel the live bait tank could be bigger. I can hold a dozen yakkas ok.

They also make a 5.2m model that looks the same.

Yes I have a 4.75m Stejecraft, more than happy with it, but would like to get a bigger boat of 5.5 to 6m mainly so I can venture further off shore with the added benefit of just extra room and full-length bunks.

Bought mine second hand 2 years old, it had about 100 hours up on a 60hp 2 stroke Merc. The boat looked like new when I bought it. A days fishing cost about $20 to $30 in fuel.

You should be able to get a second hand in excellent condition between $15,500.00 to $18,000.00 with radio, good sounder, rocket launcher, canopy, rod holders, plumed live bait tank, safety gear and boat cover. Not sure how much they are now as a new boat.

If it helps, you are more than welcome to come out for a ride or fish if you wish.

New I think Middle Harbour Marine near Manly may still have a dealership.

Darryl also has a Stejecraft so his comments would be interesting.

Hope I have not put you to sleep.

Good luck and hope you find what you want.

Kind regards

Martin

After my recent debacle I'd also suggest a 4 stroke motor!!!

25685[/snapback]

Yeah was thinking of you when sussing out motors, looking at Honda or E-Tec Evinrude, although a 50 Johno would do the job at the end of the day. :1prop:

Thanks for the info Martin. Looked at cuddys but they just dont do it for me. Getting a bit big and heavy for what I want, only need a river boat, although these boats im looking at would handle BBay on a quiet day no worries, plus I can fish the racks as well.

Joe custom just sounds all too hard, only need a basic boat . I think Ally have beefed up there hulls cause the thickness is the same in the spec sheets as the rest. I saw your boat at the Roso social it does look good.

Target, didnt think there was a Bluefin dealer up my way so I counted them out. Must of had my eyes shut cause theres one at Toukley. Checking it out next week. :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies :biggrin2:

Guest Target

Grant

The toukley dealer only has the litle tinnies really, not the good bluefins (larger and plate sided models) they are just around the corner from mums. Take an extra half an hour and head up to morriset. They usually have a few up there. Plus on the motor side of things, look at the Tohatsu TLDI motors.. the morriset dealer does either tohatsu or Susuki 4 strokes I think.

Adrian

As an aside to the material used in the allycraft boats, its not su much the material/thickness but the pressings that they use. Have a look at the bottom sheets of the hull and you will notice that they are pressed the same as the sides, ie "V" pressings rather than usual "U" like most alluminium boats. It saves on cost needing only one pressing machine (supposedly) but if you compare with normal bottom pressings, the bottom sheet only has point contact with the internal ribs and could be considered to be not as strong. I had this pointed out by many dealers when looking for my first boat. bit hard to explain but if when you look you will see what I mean.

GDAY Fellas,

Looking to purchase a new boat soon. Going to get something for the family that is a bit multi purpose and ive come down to a few options. What do you guys think of these boats, bad, good , faults etc.

Quintrex Coast runner 460

Ally Craft Bay Raider 475

Stacer Sunmaster 460

Sea Jay Capri 475

Sea Jay Classic 475

I like all of these runabouts and they are similar in price, Quinnie probably the dearest down to Ally id say. They all look pretty much the same. Takes a 50 whatever depending on where you buy.

Anyone got any thoughts ?

25664[/snapback]

Grantm go with the Stacer Sunmaster 460, ive got the new 470 PTE and it was the best decision i ever made :thumbup: . But from what the other guys have told me try it befor you buy it. See which one suite's you and your family.

Just my opinion :biggrin2:

Good call Jorg I like it too. In fact im going to go and see Huetts on Saturday. A mate of mine has bought two boats off them and raves about their service and the Stacer product. By the way Im a big fan of the Elite, nice one. :thumbup:

I will though compare all boats and if they are roughly the same it will come down to service and the sales experience, and who I like dealing with the best.

Cheers

Good pick up Pedro. I meant Bay Raider 455 not 475. Not Bar Raider which is 475.

Only got one ankle biter at the moment under two years so I dont think I need anything bigger just yet. I will now look at min 50 hp from what your saying thanks. Dont want to be underdone.

I hear you with the leccy but im just gunna have to cop that. The missus wont have a bar of a platform boat, but likes the runabout. Ill take the comprimise.

Have to agree with Target definitely have a good look at the Blue Fins they look rock solid.

If you are talking about the yellow boat shop on the main road at East Toukley its closed. He used to have a very limited range of Blue Fins in the smaller sizes. I went to buy a couple of rod holders on the weekend only to find it is now a lounge store :1prop:

Have to agree with Target definitely have a good look at the Blue Fins they look rock solid.

If you are talking about the yellow boat shop on the main road at East Toukley its closed. He used to have a very limited range of Blue Fins in the smaller sizes. I went to buy a couple of rod holders on the weekend only to find it is now a lounge store :1prop:

25739[/snapback]

Thanks Jethro you just saved me a trip to Toukley :thumbup: Ill head to Morriset instead.

Cheers

Have you given thought to a Webster twinfisher 4.3 or 4.6 meter, my mate bought a 4.3 and it’s an absolute beaut, brilliant in choppy to rough conditions very stable. I have a 4.5 meter savage center console and his boat kills mine. :thumbup:

Grant - Given any thought to a bow rider? My family tried to talk me into one but I stuck to my guns and ended up with the 4.75 Stacer runabout instead. Now thinking about changing to a centre console. Wish I had got the bowrider with room to fish front and back plus you can fit a casting deck over the front seats and have room to mount a leccy later on.

John

Guest Target

John/grant

Have you fished from a bowrider before? Its only my opinion, but I do feel they are a waste of fishing space.... no offence to anyone that has one, god knows they are popular. I've fished from a 5m quintrex bow rider and have to say that in choppy water the front "cast deck" is too high to support your legs so you have to sit anyway - in smooth water it would be fine though. Plus with the consoles moved so far to the back, you have limited space at the back of the boat to fish from, a 4m runabout has more room at the back than a 5m bowrider.

Its all about compromise though with a family/allrounder boat, a good fishing rig in my eyes is a centre console, but thats for my style of fishing, others will say a bigger cuddy if they are offshore a bit.

JMO

Good luck with the search.

Adrian

Lee im going to try and look for a demo thats a good idea thanks, it will be interesting too the difference in price.

John, mate i looked at bow riders but like Target said you loose too much space in the back. I do like em though but you have to get a big one to compensate. Havent checked out the Webster as yet kik.

I tell you what though im just happy to be looking. 1 year ago the missus wouldnt even consider it cause I kept talking about specific fishing boats. When I asked what she would get recently, it was quite interesting because once she had input it all became alot easier. Asking the wife to pick trims, colours etc and have a say in the boat type was a great comprimise and she is enjoying looking at all the options, like decorating a house !. May not be exactly what I would get on my own but its a boat nontheless and one I can fish from and also take the family out in. The missus is really exited now about getting one. Maybe a lesson there if you are in the same boat ( pardon the pun ) Comprimise and get the other half involved, everyone wins. :thumbup:

Thanks Martin id appreciate it.

Heres another question. Is there any negotiating tricks I should know or possible traps for a new boat buyer. I used to sell boats on consignment years ago but ive never bought one new. I know all the traps in the auto game, are there any with boats ?

I can't really help much but I know a guy who was given life jackets as part of his free safety gear. They were really cheap and almost impossible to get on, so he had to buy some more anyway.

Another trap that I have seen is people being talked into smaller motors to save a few $$$. Its saves $$$ upfront but is painful down the track once the boat is loaded with gear and people. Take a few people with you when you have a test run so you can see how it goes with a bit of weight in it.

As for boat types, I am a happy owner of a quinnie runabout. For us the extra $$$ was worth it (I brought it second hand though) for the extra comfort features and fit out. The wife loves the boat and won't hear of me selling it (even when I offered to when $$ were tight a few years ago), and regularly wants me to take her and her friends out.

Even though its not the perfect fishing boat I can still do nearly all of the fishing I want anyway. Whats more I probably get lots more use out of it, than if I had of bought something that was more fishing specific as I think the wife's level of interest would have been much lower. Personally I am a big fan of a windscreen and canopy, but I tend to spend most of my time in the less protected areas like in shore reefs and around headlands.

Its a tough choice but enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after many weeks of research I finally placed an order for my new boat today.

I have gone with the Stacer Sunmaster 460 with a 50 E-TEC on the back, and opted for the navy blue hull.

After looking at many different brands it became evident that the main three contenders were Quintrex, Sea Jay, and Stacer. IMO these boats had far superior build quality than the rest, with Stacer giving the best value for money at the end of the day.

The quintex was fitted out the nicest and arguably looked the best, but was just too expensive even after negotiations. Some 3 grand more to be exact.

The Sea Jay was good in fact their new hull is a copy of the EVO hull from Stacer, but not as good. Its construction was excellent though, very well built. Just didnt like the fit out, no where near as good as Stacer in quality with less storage. It was also about a grand dearer than the Stacer.

Craig at Huett's did the deal and they were easily the best to deal with. Most of the salesman at the other places just didnt know that much about the boats and couldnt answer some questions. Craig was excellent and very knowledgeable and helped me make the right desisions. Im sure the finished product on delivery will be just as good as the sales experience.

I pick her up in about 8 weeks. :thumbup: