Poppers For Whiting?

RPL

Any of the Surecatch ones work for sure (on bream & the odd flattie as well! :1prop: ) You can get 3 for $10 in tackle shops. I caught a nice 35cm one yesterday on a green surecatch. It had a white belly. Terrific little lure. The whiting prefer it to travel faster whilst bream prefer it slower or stopped!

check out our yakking action

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=27560

I was in the middle of a creek & was casting to the edges & retrieving

Good luck!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hey Rackrunner & Iceman - nice fish!! Don't they 'go' on the poppers? Real elbow slappers, there! They have been cleaning up on the sand flats here in Forster between the bridge & the first sand island. The faster the retrieve, the bigger the whiting! :1prop: Hope to give it a go when our visitors have left!

Roberta

Hey Roberta they are great fun couldnt get a strike on a popper so changed to a new ecogear PX45F surface lure and started getting interest then I lost it to a tailor which like the fast retrieve as well They are too expensive to lose to tailor so I changed to the skywalker and the whiting loved that as well

Also found a stockist of my favorite colour surebite popper who orders them at a couple of hundred at a time and they go quick not surprising as they work and were only $3:95ea just need to change the hooks

Hi Iceman

Shame you lost your cogear PX45F surface lure! I HATE losing expensive ones! Hence my love affair with cheapies!!

What is your fav colour in the surebite popper?? Haven't heard of them before. I use surecatch. What is it good for catching (other than whiting?) I hear the 'see thru' ones are good for bass. I must go back & retrieve one of my lures (left in a tree last week..... :( ) These hooks held .... :wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey Roberta

Im sure surecatch and surebite come out of the same factory

Originally I picked up a pack of three surecatch poppers all the same colour about 12months ago and had been searching for that colour eversince with no luck

I have now found the surebite poppers which are very close in colour and nearly exactly the same as the surecatch poppers

post-62-1200722400_thumb.jpg

The top one is the surecatch and the bottom the surebite

cya Andrew

Hi Iceman

Very similar, eh? Looks like the surebite may have ball bearings in them as well - pretty sure my surecatch ones don't have them! Gillies brand is available in shops - 5 poppers for $15 just now - similar pricing to the SUrecatch at 3 for $10. Same size, similar colours. I think the surecatch ones are more 'seethrough') The seethru ones have been doing very well on the sand flats here, fished at pace.

Roberta

How important is the colour? Obviously the sound and vibrations are more important but is colour a factor at all?

The old adage 'lure colors are designed to catch fisherman' comes a little unstuck here. Like Iceman, my preferred popper of choice is the yellow Sure Catch/Surebite popper. I have 15 of them. I have caught maybe 30 bream on an orange/gold Sure Catch popper, but dozens of great fish on the yellow. (see post on lure fishing report)

This is not the case with other fish though. I have caught EP's on green and black, BIG flatties on blue and white, and whiting on every color imaginable. As long as you maintain a steady, noisy retrieve, the whiting and flathead will target just about any color you throw at them! (but subtlety and stealth is the bream key!)

Hodgey

• 7 months later...

The old adage 'lure colors are designed to catch fisherman' comes a little unstuck here. Like Iceman, my preferred popper of choice is the yellow Sure Catch/Surebite popper. I have 15 of them. I have caught maybe 30 bream on an orange/gold Sure Catch popper, but dozens of great fish on the yellow. (see post on lure fishing report)

This is not the case with other fish though. I have caught EP's on green and black, BIG flatties on blue and white, and whiting on every color imaginable. As long as you maintain a steady, noisy retrieve, the whiting and flathead will target just about any color you throw at them! (but subtlety and stealth is the bream key!)

Hodgey

I've just joined the site and have already found Hodgey's advice very useful. I mainly do soft plastic fishing for flathead and bream but just oubht a couple of Stiffy poppers. Was looking for some advice on how fast the retrieve should be. thanks

G'Day Frankie

They key to sucessful poppering for Whiting is ... speed. Keep the popper chugging along at a fairly brisk pace ... even if they strike at it! DON"T STOP. When they are around in good numbers, you will have them jostling one another in competition to take it. They tend to shy away (or lose complete interest) in a stationary popper. I often have them have several 'slashes' at the popper before I hook up.

Also, make sure your popper is pushing a spray of water continuously. By that I mean; use deep movement of the popper so that it sends a healthy spray of water in front of it. Make sure the popper is generating the follow-up spray before the last of the previous spray hit the water. (you're basically looking for a continuous spray of water all the way back).

Hope this helps you out mate...try it in the warmer months just around the corner!

Cheers

Hodgey

G'Day Frankie

They key to sucessful poppering for Whiting is ... speed. Keep the popper chugging along at a fairly brisk pace ... even if they strike at it! DON"T STOP. When they are around in good numbers, you will have them jostling one another in competition to take it. They tend to shy away (or lose complete interest) in a stationary popper. I often have them have several 'slashes' at the popper before I hook up.

Also, make sure your popper is pushing a spray of water continuously. By that I mean; use deep movement of the popper so that it sends a healthy spray of water in front of it. Make sure the popper is generating the follow-up spray before the last of the previous spray hit the water. (you're basically looking for a continuous spray of water all the way back).

Hope this helps you out mate...try it in the warmer months just around the corner!

Cheers

Hodgey

Hodgey, thanks for the tip. I must say it's great that an experienced fisherman like yourself is so willing to share information.

Cheers

• 3 years later...